Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New BiPAP ST user Vet with complex apnea
RE: New BiPAP user

Here is the 2:40 zoom.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those are central apnea. The triggered breaths shows some response in the airway so it's not obstructive, but that should have been flagged as apnea. I do wish you'd give me a full 2 minutes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2020, 09:19 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Those are central apnea.  The triggered breaths shows some response in the airway so it's not obstructive, but that should have been flagged as apnea.  I do wish you'd give me a full 2 minutes.

I'm having a little difficulty getting a complete two minutes in my zoom window.  When I zoom in it shortens the amount of time.
Post Reply Post Reply

think I got it.  Close to 2 minutes?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's it. What I wanted to see is how those hypopnea events are getting flagged. We can see the machine is delivering timed IPAP at 12 BPM and if not for the pressure support, this would likely be flagged as clusters of CA. There are spontaneous breaths with good amplitude and no suggestion of flow limitation or obstruction followed by several timed breaths that deflect the airway, but don't result in appreciable inspiratory flow. These are CA events that the machine is flagging as hypopnea because it senses enough movement not to flag as apnea. The flow is periodic with several breaths leading to the next few missed breaths. I can only assure you this is not a typical obstructive pattern. A bit more pressure support (higher IPAP) might cause enough airflow to avoid the hypopnea. It's not ideal but it's what we have. If this was ASV, the pressure support would back-off during the normal breaths and be much greater during the hypopnea and apnea. I think you know that's what's needed.

Have you considered elevating your complaint to the VA Patient Advocate? A strategy used by some others is to make daily complaints requesting the ASV titration based on the diagnostic test result of both obstructive and central apnea. If you cannot get an appointment for the titration within a reasonable time (30 days), the VA now allows for an independent medical opinion a.k.a. private second opinion. That might move the needle.

Would you mind if I add the word "veteran" or VA to the title of this thread? It might help to get the input of other vets on the board. Something like "Veteran With BiPAP ST and Complex Apnea"
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you can put Vet in the subject line.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd like to see a 7 to 10 minute view of that same screenshot. could be periodic limb movement in roughly 10 second intervals. if so, ps won't help & may hinder.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey SHatfield, I notice you were struggling a little bit with trying to get the proper amount of time. The same thing happened to me, I have a quick tip that will help you out. When you select an area, the duration of that area is highlighted in that yellow tooltip that floats above the graph. If you select too much and are zoomed in too far, you can just select a wider area in the "Event Flags" section above that. When you get a chance you should really install that beta version. The installation will be just like this one you already have. You dont need to uninstall this one to install the beta. 

Post Reply Post Reply

Here's 2:35 to 2:44

***Let me throw this out there. I sleep in a recliner. I have always been a toss and turner. I wake up probably one to three times a night to go to the bathroom. Even the titiration study showed that I moved a lot. I'm usually aware that I'm switching back and forth, but there is probably arm and leg movement I'm not aware of.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't reread this thread so sorry if already covered. does your sleep study report periodic limb movement? strong indications of it in your flow rate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 847 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 769 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 373 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 3,096 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 225 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 311 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 364 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.