Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New BiPAP ST user Vet with complex apnea
RE: New BiPAP ST user Vet with complex apnea
I'm glad you're more comfortable, however AHI is not reflective of acceptable efficacy. The RDI is really high counting those RERA, and that is probably under-estimated. I expected a drop in events without the bilevel pressure, and that is consistent with central apnea. I still think you're an ASV candidate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2020, 07:56 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm glad you're more comfortable, however AHI is not reflective of acceptable efficacy.  The RDI is really high counting those RERA, and that is probably under-estimated.  I expected a drop in events without the bilevel pressure, and that is consistent with central apnea.  I still think you're an ASV candidate.

I can only hope that all of that eventually gets considered and I end up with the correct machine/settings. This is all new to me. I still find myself tired in the afternoons.  Thanks for all the information you give.
Post Reply Post Reply

Day 2 with CPAP setting at 10.  Only discomfort was getting started at around 11 pm last night dealing with my cough.  I do think I had more leakage from the mask to begin with as well. I can handle the tightness of the mask necessary to stop leakage but it does seem a little tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
If reduction of mask leaks means a very tight mask and it brings pain and discomfort, something about the mask isn't right for you. Cushion size or that mask brand or type might be wrong for you. Some masks are going to be better for you than others, on a specific for-you status. It's also possible the cushion needs replaced if it's old. Most tend to leak more after they get really old, so some report here.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave I use the Resfit F20 fullface.  They say it has a life of about 30 days and I'm probably getting close. I may experiment some.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking you are referring to the ResMed F20 in either AirFit which is a silicone type, or the AirTouch which is memory foam. I'm just trying to clarify by correcting the name so we can help better. I have this mask as well in both cushion styles FWIW. I can get many months out of an individual AirFit silicone cushion, but the usage lifespan does vary a bit in my experience. Maybe try a Dawn dish soap and very warm water cleanup of the cushion and see if that helps. BTW which cushion size(s) have you tried, and what were the fit/leak results?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's the airtouch with the foam.  I think it's a medium.  

I could get a good fit without over tightening until they upped my pressure first to 16/12 bipap then to cpap 10 constant.  

I have to look at the leak results on OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK some here on AB have experimented with even cleaning these with soap and water. You may wish to read on it before you consider trying. Then you could try it on a cushion you'd otherwise throw away and see if it's doable for you. I've seen some say the AirTouch is good for a few weeks only, and others seem to get a month or more. I think it's the individual factor that is variable.
Post Reply Post Reply
This response to my last chart from Sleeprider, 

"What I see in your chart is that the new beta 2 version properly identifies your machine, mode and settings. Something the previous versions did not do. You have recently been changed from ST mode to CPAP mode, and here we can see the results of that are a significant number of hypopnea, way too much RERA and some OA events. You have been diagnosed with complex central and obstructive apnea, so it's surprising we don't see so much central events happening here.

I do see some clustering of events, and wonder if a solution for you might be a soft cervical collar. Read that link in my signature links."
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder how much sleeping in a recliner would affect these numbers.  It reclines almost completely flat.  I have my reasons for using a recliner and have done so for about a year. .  Whether in a bed or a recliner, I switch from side to side. Sleeprider got me thinking when he mentioned a cervical collar?  

Thinking out loud...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 617 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.