Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New BiPAP ST user Vet with complex apnea
RE: New BiPAP ST user Vet with complex apnea

Wore my collar again for about three hours last night at the outset. Was more comfortable with it than the first time. Not sure any difference showed up on OSCAR. 

VA sending me an Resmed Airfit F30 hybrid mask to try out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see much difference in the results with the collar. The VA sure is determined to not find ASV as a solution. Whatever your problem, it's not leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well that's nice of them, but it's not going to make your machine turn into an ASV.

Respectfully, I suggest going to Complaint 101 school, grasshopper. They will notice complaints far easier than they will ever see numbers that point to an ASV as a need. Complain until their ears bleed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

[attachment=21329]

Here are my last three nights.  There are breaks where I dealt with a coughing fit occasionally.  

My AHI's have been going back up the last couple of days.  

My RERA's seem to remain elevated.  

I have broached the subject of an ASV machine with the VA and mentioned my RERA's to them.  I'm sure they'll balk at first but at least the subject's out there.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll point out the Muziccity had his ASV titration and is solidly on his way. When you joined, there were three new members that needed ASV, and you're my last problem child. Obviously there is very little we can do with CPAP to resolve what is going on here as long as your doctors are on a cruise on da Nile. Nothing here resembles the kind of efficacy that would allow you to get a good night of sleep. ASV remains your best solution and will simply eliminate all of this mess. With the current health crisis, I think it is going to be even more difficult for you to get their attention. Keep trying.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2020, 08:21 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'll point out the Muziccity had his ASV titration and is solidly on his way.  When you joined, there were three new members that needed ASV, and you're my last problem child.  Obviously there is very little we can do with CPAP to resolve what is going on here as long as your doctors are on a cruise on da Nile. Nothing here resembles the kind of efficacy that would allow you to get a good night of sleep. ASV remains your best solution and will simply eliminate all of this mess.  With the current health crisis, I think it is going to be even more difficult for you to get their attention.  Keep trying.

They told me as much when they replied to my last email mentioned above.  I figured that.  But, they didn't immediately dismiss my mentioning of ASV. The nurse said she would speak to my "whatever he is" about what I told her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please consider involving your VA patient advocate. https://www.va.gov/health/patientadvocate/
You have waited long enough and gotten nothing but a run-around.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Just as an update, 

Background:
My home sleep study diagnosed me with central/obstructive apnea.

My overnight study confirmed this with the addition of Periodic Limb Movement. 

There was a little questionnaire when I first went to the VA to get my home sleep test kit. It asked questions such as do I fall asleep in passenger seat on long trips, do I take naps, do I fall asleep watching movies, etc..

My score was a low 6.  I didn't have too many complaints along those lines. But I did tell them I had difficulty sleeping and that my daughter had observed me stop breathing once at night.

Fast forward to today, (with my complete thread here as background.)

I have gone from bipap 9/15 to 10/16 to CPAP 10 settings.

I broached the subject of my AHI fluctuating back up and RERA's and the subject of an ASV machine with my nurse and clinician. I've been telling them all along that I don't feel any improvement in energy daily.

Their position seems to be this...(my interpretation)

Because my initial questionnaire presented such a low score, than they don't expect me to see a significant improvement, with only a slight improvement over an extended time. (Months)

With regards to my total AHI's fluctuating back upward, they don't think it's uncommon and are comfortable with my being >10. 

With regards to my RERA's being around the 12/13range,  it appears they believe my machine is misinterpreting the data because it doesn't know when I'm awake or asleep. 

With regards to the ASV they still don't think I'm a candidate for one. 

They're satisfied with me at CPAP 10. 

I just responded to them and asked them what the benefit of CPAP is if I'm not going to see any improvement in the quality of my sleep/energy. 

They may not be too appreciative of the way I asked the question,  but I'm already working on a contact with my patient advocate.  

I can see no benefit wearing an uncomfortable mask every night for the rest of my life if there is no demonstrable benefit?  

I am a little uncomfortable with this patient advocate route (questioning my treatment) but don't see any other way to get beyond where I am.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see how using the patient advocate has a downside risk to the current situation where your poor therapy efficacy is acceptable to your medical team at the VA. Any scientist or doctor should be accustomed to peer review and a second or third opinion. The apathy concerning whether you have good therapy and are treated well, clearly requires oversight. You have done your part and are actively seeking solutions. As I have discussed, your goal should be a titration sleep test that evaluates ASV. You have not had an acceptable titration result with CPAP or BiPAP, and you doctors seem fine with that. The fault is not with you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
It's funny that the medical staff seems satisfied with poor medical treatment that you are receiving. However, it is you not them being treated. I cannot stress it enough, tell them pointedly this therapy is not effective. You are not benefiting from this. I understand tests need to support going to ASV, so a sleep study involving an ASV is needed. If the ones you're dealing with are not interested in listening to you, this means they are not interested in treating you properly. Get their superiors involved. They are not listening to your complaints, assuming you are voicing these in strong but polite fashion. If you are not voicing complaints, you will not progress. IMO you must take complaints to the next, stronger level, and moving to a new group of docs via superiors, or you will be stuck in this quicksand of not going forward.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 634 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,933 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 190 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Complex Sleep Apnea: Help Analysing OSCAR and advises C3POap 4 326 01-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.