Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New BiPAP User
Hello forum!

I'm a recently diagnosed patient with severe OSA - while the diagnosis was recent, I suspect that I've been suffering for at least 20 years.

I just got my machine today - sadly, I'm 3,000 miles away from it, so my first night of non-trial use will be Wednesday night - wish me luck!

I'm a software nerd and data nut, so I'm totally onboard with SleepyHead and ResScan - I can't wait to start looking at my data and zeroing in on what my settings really ought to be. My current settings are based on 4 in-home, 7-night studies over the past year, the most recent of which was completed just a couple weeks ago.

I'm sure I'll have questions over time -I've read hundreds of posts on this and other online support forums, but there's nothing like getting started to really see where the gaps in one's knowledge lie!
Welcome to the forum cpdaniel!
Let us know how your first night goes. Smile
Hi cpdaniel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with your new machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
You got a great machine. The mask is the same one that I started with after the nasal mask that allowed me to mouth leak. I was never able to get that mask to work for me. I hope you have much better luck and that could well be. Masks are such a personal thing and as we like to say,"Everybody is different".

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Welcome to ApneaBoard cpdaniel! Glad you found us.

Sounds like one day we may be looking to you for help with SH!! Good luck starting therapy!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
I think you'll enjoy the bilevel experience. Good luck.
(11-24-2015, 10:11 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think you'll enjoy the bilevel experience. Good luck.

The last couple nights of my last in-home sleep study, which was with a BiPAP, I loved it - really hated giving it back and the having to wait weeks before I had a machine of my own. But, that's the past now - tonight beings the real journey.
(11-24-2015, 08:12 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Welcome to ApneaBoard cpdaniel! Glad you found us.

Sounds like one day we may be looking to you for help with SH!! Good luck starting therapy!

Entirely possible! I've been a software developer for over 30 years, with much of that Windows C++ programming. If nothing else, I'll definitely run on the "bleeding edge" of new versions, as I intend to load data into both SH and ResScan, at least to start with, so I can tolerate using a less-stable version of SH.

One of the things I might look into eventually, is loading a bunch of sleep data into a business intelligence or machine learning system to see what kind of correlations might be discovered. But, first things first - and the first thing is to get better, uninterrupted sleep every as many nights as possible!
I got also my biPAP machine today, but still cannot use because it has to be properly set up overnight in the lab. Had a CPAP machine but the therapy pressure needs exceed 12 cmH2O, hence the doc proposed the change towards biPAP.
(11-23-2015, 09:00 PM)cpdaniel Wrote: I just got my machine today - sadly, I'm 3,000 miles away from it, so my first night of non-trial use will be Wednesday night - wish me luck!

Night number one is in the can Smile. Not bad for a first night, I think. Didn't manage to get too much sleep, but when I was asleep, my AHI was <2, which is better than on any of my sleep studies.

Just a few OAs - the machine registered some CAs too, but I know that most (or all) of these occurred when I was awake, or transitioning in/out of sleep. Pressure got pretty high (hit the configured upper limit of 20), but was 13.7 average for the night.

Looking at the data in both SleepyHead and ResScan - both are nice programs, easy to use. I'll keep using both until a clear winner arises.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [CPAP] New User needs help please RRussell 24 409 01-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dreamstation Auto User Need Advice Etchris 10 447 01-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I'm an overwelmed New APAP User, Help! RWhipkey 4 240 01-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question How to get prescription for auto-BiPAP machine? rbwilli 22 546 01-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  BiPAP quits after 15 minutes of operation Larryvon 5 172 01-09-2017, 10:57 PM
  New Member: New User, Which Machine? Totally confused Spunky8 10 403 01-04-2017, 09:26 PM
  Dreamstation Auto Bipap Setting Questions lawlipop 10 393 01-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Last Post: lawlipop