Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New BiPAP User
RE: New BiPAP User
Glad to hear things are going well! And it should get better with time too.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2015, 09:00 PM)cpdaniel Wrote: Hello forum!

I'm a recently diagnosed patient with severe OSA - while the diagnosis was recent, I suspect that I've been suffering for at least 20 years.

I just got my machine today - sadly, I'm 3,000 miles away from it, so my first night of non-trial use will be Wednesday night - wish me luck!

I'm a software nerd and data nut, so I'm totally onboard with SleepyHead and ResScan - I can't wait to start looking at my data and zeroing in on what my settings really ought to be. My current settings are based on 4 in-home, 7-night studies over the past year, the most recent of which was completed just a couple weeks ago.

I'm sure I'll have questions over time -I've read hundreds of posts on this and other online support forums, but there's nothing like getting started to really see where the gaps in one's knowledge lie!

I am also on BiPAP. It's made a big difference. I also have severe osa. My biggest issue is swallowing air which causes a bunch of bad GI symptoms. I am playing with the settings to get it right. Unfortunately working with the doctors office has not worked so well. They are slow to respond and don't understand the latest machines. I have the air curve 10 Vauto. I wish you the best. Hopefully you will get some good rest soon!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 11:07 AM)cpdaniel Wrote: Night number one is in the can Smile. Not bad for a first night, I think. Didn't manage to get too much sleep, but when I was asleep, my AHI was <2, which is better than on any of my sleep studies.

Just a few OAs - the machine registered some CAs too, but I know that most (or all) of these occurred when I was awake, or transitioning in/out of sleep. Pressure got pretty high (hit the configured upper limit of 20), but was 13.7 average for the night.

Looking at the data in both SleepyHead and ResScan - both are nice programs, easy to use. I'll keep using both until a clear winner arises.

Three nights now. AHI holding at around 3.6, but I'm pretty sure that's artificially inflated due to all the SWJ time as I'm waking up quite frequently. My AHI was 58 in my sleep study, so 3.6 is a huge improvements. During any long periods of sleep (2+ hours), I'm seeing zero/one events. More "getting used to" time needed still.

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds excellent. What range has the pressure settled into?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2015, 10:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sounds excellent. What range has the pressure settled into?

Median IPAP is ~13, 95% percentile is 19 - but whenever the pressure gets over ~15, I'm suspicious that it's reacting to me waking up - thinks I'm having CA's. Time will tell - ordered a second mask today, will see if a different mask changes things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine will not raise pressure in response to CAs.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 12:15 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Your machine will not raise pressure in response to CAs.

Guess it must be something else then Smile

I'm going to observe and record - over time I'm sure the picture will become clearer. Meanwhile, 1.38 AHI last night, so headed in the right direction.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 12:15 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Your machine will not raise pressure in response to CAs.

Looks like the times when the pressure is getting high and eventually waking me up is when I roll over onto my back. I'm normally a side-sleeper, but I'm noticing that when I wake I'm on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do the same thing. I go to sleep on my side and I think that I sleep mostly on my side but I usually wake up on my back.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2015, 08:35 AM)cpdaniel Wrote: Looks like the times when the pressure is getting high and eventually waking me up is when I roll over onto my back. I'm normally a side-sleeper, but I'm noticing that when I wake I'm on my back.

Definitely correlated to back sleeping. When I'm sleeping on my side, a constant IPAP of ~13 is held by the machine and my AHI is 0.39.

When I'm sleeping on my back (deliberately), the pressure quickly reaches the max IPAP of 20 and hovers around there, and my AHI (last night) was 39. It's a chore to control leaks even at 20, but I'm wondering if I should try upping the max IPAP just a bit to see if there is a pressure at which my H/OA are controlled when I'm on my back.

On the flip side, tonight I'm going to try blocking my back side so that I'm less likely to roll onto my back in my sleep - or at least, less likely to remain in that position for long!

I might also try a back-sleeping experiment where I use my oral device in addition to PAP to see what that does.

Recommendations/thoughts appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 633 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 190 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Multiple surgeries, consistent BiPAP user, still struggling with exhaustion erica721 5 721 11-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: erica721
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 690 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.