Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New BiPAP user! (UARS). Need serious help please! Data included, much appreciated
RE: New BiPAP user! (UARS). Need serious help please! Data included, much appreciated
The heated hose and a pillows mask should help with comfort definitely.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New BiPAP user! (UARS). Need serious help please! Data included, much appreciated
(02-12-2021, 01:59 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The heated hose and a pillows mask should help with comfort definitely.

I have my humidity on high and I notice that when I put the mask on, my nose becomes blocked. Its not usually that blocked during the day. I'm hoping that a heated hose could help my making air warmer? Could I turn the humidity low or off but still use the heated hose? I feel like warmer air would promote better nasal breathing for me.

I'm also hoping that p30i, in addition to making side sleeping easier, will also help with nasal congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excess humidity can induce nasal congestion. There is a balance between too much and too little, and you need to find that middle ground. So we know high setting is not good, and I suspect off is not going to be pleasant. Pick a spot in the middle.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2021, 02:42 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Excess humidity can induce nasal congestion. There is a balance between too much and too little, and you need to find that middle ground. So we know high setting is not good, and I suspect off is not going to be pleasant. Pick a spot in the middle.

Okay thanks will do.

Looking at my breathing, I noticed some like this. Does this look like palatal prolapse? I would really hope I don't have expiratory flow limitations too...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
No, palatal prolapse looks like a sharp drop into expiration that returns almost instantly to zero flow as the exhale is cutoff by the prolapse. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...l_Prolapse

Your image looks like mild flow limitation. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...limitation You are using 3-cm of pressure support and EPR which is what helps to reduce inspiratory flow limitation. Increasing pressure support usually smooths that out if it is a problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2021, 04:21 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: No, palatal prolapse looks like a sharp drop into expiration that returns almost instantly to zero flow as the exhale is cutoff by the prolapse. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...l_Prolapse

Your image looks like mild flow limitation. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...limitation  You are using 3-cm of pressure support and EPR which is what helps to reduce inspiratory flow limitation. Increasing pressure support usually smooths that out if it is a problem.

Okay thank you. This makes sense.

Apologies if I've asked this before, but I'm a bit confused - is it the actual difference in pressure support that treats FLs? Or is it simply the IPAP number?

For example, I could just increase IPAP from 11 to 12 and keep my EPAP on 8 (thereby making it PS4), but I could also increase EPAP from 8 up to 9 and also IPAP from 11 to 12, thereby keeping PS 3 while also having higher IPAP for the FLs. If it is the former, why does higher PS number = more treated FLs? I thought its mainly the IPAP number itself rather than the PS itself.

I will increase from 3 to 4 though as you recommend, but I am curious on that. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
pressure support is the mathematical difference between IPAP and EPAP (IPAP-EPAP=PS). Increasing IPAP while leaving EPAP the same increases PS.

It would help if you updated your profile in the User CP to show the machine, mask and other information. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/usercp.php You are using a Resmed S9 VPAP ST in VPAP S Mode. My recollection is your EPAP is set to 8.0 and IPAP at 11.0, so increasing IPAP to 12 will increase PS to 4.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the titration protocol for a BiLevel S-mode.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...n_Protocol

Note: EPAP = CPAP level at which obstructive apneas (OA) were eliminated.  Then you raise both EPAP and IPAP together until OA is eliminated.
For hypopneas, RERAs (Flow Limits, UARS too), or snoring Increase IPAP only (PS) until these events are resolved.
Post Reply Post Reply
Being the idiot that I am, I left my SD card at the office. Damn.

Well, I will set the IPAP to 12 tonight thereby making the PS 4 and post how I feel tomorow without the data. Then I'll get my SD card tomorow and sleep with these settings again and get the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I increased my IPAP from 11 to 12 thereby pushing up my pressure support to 4.

Slept around 7.5 hours, but feel waay more rested. Eyes still slightly tired, but I'm convinced they wouldn't be had I slept more. 

I woke up once after 2 hour and then next after 4.5 hours. So throughout 7.5 hours, only really remember waking up twice. That's huge for me cos I usually remember waking up 8+ times over 8-10 hours. 

Now it turns out that humidifier DOES help but I realized that water was in my mask and i was having rainout. When I took my mask off, my congestion went away, but when It was on, one nostril was blocked. So when i took the tube off the mask, a bit of water came out. Can rainout cause nasal congestion? My nostril kept blocking throughout the night which was annoying.

Anyway when I woke up I refilled my humidifier and went back to sleep. Nose got unblocked until rainout happened again. I'm convinced if rain out didn't happen I wouldn't have woken up at all maybe.

Anyway, I feel way more rested on less sleep but still a little tired eyed. When my heated hose comes, tha should get rid of the rain out issue. And the nasal pillows should help too (full face mask made my nose and cheeks hurt).

Its remarkable tho that even with one nostril blocked, I still only woke up twice and felt rested. This Is promising

One more thing though... my humidifier tank seems to run out quite quickly. That is annoying. It seems to happen at hugh settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 952 8 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 160 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,676 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 64 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 105 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 621 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.