Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Bipap User...Can't Sleep!
New Bipap User...Can't Sleep!
Hey, all! Brand new Bipap user (Resmed AirCurve). Doc recommended a low 5-10 setting, so I'm trying that. I may tweak it later (I have the clinician menu settings). My events were 35-40 per hour, so that's pretty bad, I hear. My greatest struggle is getting comfortable with the machine.... I get claustrophobic! :/

I am a mouth breather, so I tried the full face mask. Exhaling and having hot air hit my face just makes me uneasy. Also, I never felt like I got enough air. I turned up the pressure a bit and it didn't seem to help. I took sleep aids and still ripped the mask off in my sleep.

I switched to nasal pillows. Those are far less intrusive, but after wearing them for 5-10 minutes, my nose starts to stop up, rendering the machine useless.

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Bipap User...Can't Sleep!
Hi tb8100,

Welcome
A starting pressure as low as you have it will make you feel like you're suffocating. Most people find a starting pressure of 7 to 8 will remedy this feeling.

Good luck with your therapy.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, tb8100. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It sounds like you're having major comfort issues with using your xPAP machine.

I am not clear about which machine you have, but anyway, I just wanted to comment about your nasal congestion problem. It happens a lot with new xPAP users. I've listed some things below that can help.

- humidification. Are you using it? If yes, what setting?

- You may need to try a saline nasal rinse and/or a steroid nasal spray while you're adjusting to breathing with the nasal pillows & CPAP machine. Taking a shower right before bed can also help.

(06-23-2016, 08:05 PM)tb8100 Wrote: Hey, all! Brand new Bipap user (Resmed AirCurve). Doc recommended a low 5-10 setting, so I'm trying that. I may tweak it later (I have the clinician menu settings). My events were 35-40 per hour, so that's pretty bad, I hear. My greatest struggle is getting comfortable with the machine.... I get claustrophobic! :/

I am a mouth breather, so I tried the full face mask. Exhaling and having hot air hit my face just makes me uneasy. Also, I never felt like I got enough air. I turned up the pressure a bit and it didn't seem to help. I took sleep aids and still ripped the mask off in my sleep.

I switched to nasal pillows. Those are far less intrusive, but after wearing them for 5-10 minutes, my nose starts to stop up, rendering the machine useless.

Thanks in advance!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tb8100,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your new machine and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Feeling like you're not getting enough air is usually because your starting pressure is too low. Are you using ramp? If so what is your starting pressure set to?
Or your 5 could be low, anything below 6 for me is not enough. test it out with the mask on and lay down for a few minutes and see how you feel, when you get too high, then drop it back down. If you start feel okay then stop increasing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hot air in the face sounds like you need to turn the temperature down on the hose. You have a S9 series machine with H5i humidifier like me, I run the hose temp at 75 degrees and the humidity at 5.0, that should solve the hot air problem. I would suggest turning EPAP pressure up to at least 9. That way your not getting the air hunger feeling. Just a suggestion, but I think you definitely need to adjust temp and humidity
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 22 447 03-17-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 202 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 172 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,152 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.