Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP
New CPAP
I just replaced a 10 yr old Resmed brick with a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. This is my first data collecting CPAP. I have been surprised that my AHI  has ranged between 5.3 and 13.5 over the 13 nights I have used it with and average of 9.1. My source is the Resmed web site. 10 years ago my pressure was set at 9 after a sleep study in which I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. about 3 years ago the pressure was increased from 9 to 10 based on the results of a home oximetry study. I don't have the data from that study but in a study following the pressure increase to 10 I experienced 0.3 desaturation events per hour. Since I don't know how desaturation events relate to AHI I don't know if the current AHI data is worse or not. Can anyone help me understand this better?

It appears from reviews in this forum that the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is a good machine. I also understand that it can be set up as an auto CPAP. Upon looking at the clinical settings I note that mine is set to CPAP and not autoset. Would I benefit from changing that setting? 

I saw on another internet site that the essentials setting under options is best set at plus. mine is set at on. I have no idea what this is. Is there anyone who can explain this and recommend the best setting.

EPR is set at fulltime at level 2, which I understand is a good setting but again, I would appreciate recommendations from experienced users.

I will continue my search for answers but will very much appreciate any feedback from forum members.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP
G'day Melman, welcome to Apnea Board.

We're all data geeks here, and we like to see charts and graphs. Wink This is the best way to understand exactly what's happening with your therapy and how best to optimise it. If you haven't already done so, download and install #SleepyHead, which will give you very detailed information on exactly what's happening.

The next thing is to request the clinician's manual for your machine (there is a link at the top of this page). With that, you will be able to interrogate the machine and quickly obtain relevant information on your night's sleep (though not as detailed as #SleepyHead). You will also be able to adjust your settings if necessary to optimise the treatment.

Regarding the essentials setting, here is an extract from the clinician manual:

In the patient menu there are two types of access levels, Essentials and Essentials Plus.

Essentials is designed to make the device interaction and menu navigation easier for patients. It is a simple choice for patients who do not want to worry about settings or menu navigation. It provides access to the most important comfort features such as Ramp Time, Humidity Level (if water tub available) and Run Mask Fit.

However, by enabling Essentials Plus you can allow highly engaged patients to access additional features for control over more of their therapy settings, including changing their mask type, EPR (if available), SmartStart and Run Warmup (if water tub available).

So yes, it should be set to Plus to allow you to access all the information you need, provided you are a "highly engaged patient". And you wouldn't be here if you weren't highly engaged.

The EPR setting can be 1, 2, 3 and Off. This largely a matter of personal preference - the EPR reduces pressure by a set amount when the machine detects that you are exhaling. Set it for what's most comfortable for yourself. The exception to this is if you experience some central apneas - reducing EPR can sometimes eliminate that problem.

I wouldn't recommend any other changes to settings at this stage until we can see the SleepyHead output - without the charts we are just guessing at what might be going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Melman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and I hope you like your new machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick response. Smile
I have ordered the manual and downloaded sleepyhead. I'll look at 14 days worth of data tomorrow. Hopefully it won't require to much head scratching.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Melman.  Welcome to the Apnea Board.  You are on your way to understanding your therapy and to getting helpful suggestions for fine tuning your machine settings.  As DeepBreathing says we really are data geeks here.  We will be looking forward to seeing how your treatment is really going.  

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Well , I downloaded Sleepyhead and received the clinician manual Thanks  I am now prepared to take a look at my data except.... my machine has no SD card. I phoned Lincare and was told because the machine has wireless capability to transmit the data they did not include an SD card (not necessary in there opinion). Angry  Does anyone know if I can just buy and put an SD card in the machine or is there some special formatting that is done by Resmed? Also what capacity SD card would I need? There is a slot for an SD card. It's just unoccupied.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Any standard SD card from 2 to 16 GB and formatted to FAT32 will work fine. You can sometimes find them in old cameras, GPS, and of curse at the store. A small capacity card is fine, but the one that comes with the machines is 2 GB.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
You might consider a Toshiba FlashAir WiFi card so you won't have to rely on the old sneakernet for your data transfer for SleepyHead.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.