Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP Owner Questions
New CPAP Owner Questions
I'm not sure if this should be a new thread or added an old thread.

I now have my own machine and have been using it for a few days.  I'm still getting used to the nose pillow so some leaks are really operator error.  I was getting a stuffy nose so did adjust the humidity from 4 to 2.  I'm reading and trying to understand the data.  My O2 numbers are much more consistent and the average is higher with no low drops.  Data should be attached and I have a few questions.
  1. Almost all of the events are CA.  Is that common or concerning?  What do the numbers mean when highlighting the CA event on the graph? 

2. I notice that the pressure and flow are both low before the CA event is shown.  If the flow is low shouldn't the machine increase pressure?  Isn't that what it is supposed to do?  I also see a change in tidal volume at that time but don't understand how they are related.    

3. The AHI numbers tend to be clustered together.  This one night is probably the most clustered.  Is that telling me something?

4. Does the movement graph represent physical movement?  How does the machine sense that?

5. When I fist start the unit, I sort of feel like I'm not getting enough air.  The nose pillows must create a small restriction.  Is there any negative to letting it start at a higher pressure?    

6. Are there any recommendations?
Thanks,

Dan

.pdf   Daily_Dan_2021-09-04.pdf (Size: 575.66 KB / Downloads: 5)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP Owner Questions
Dan welcome to the board. To give you any suggestion we need a screenshot of the entire night with the correct charts. In my signature is a link to the charts we need

There are many excellent people on the site that will help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I will give you some answers to your questions.

Centrals can be a problem if you had many in your sleep study. If not then they go away after your body gets use to therapy. Usually 2 to 3 months. The numbers with centrals are the number of seconds it lasted.

Clustered events are something we would like to look at on your daily charts.

Low air flow is not what the Cpap does it helps obstructive apnea and pressure will increase with obstruction.

I don’t know what you mean by a movement chart

Again looking at your chart will give us an idea about your need for increase of pressure.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
How is this?

Is 9 minutes in Apnea bad?

Thanks,
Dan

Post Reply Post Reply
Reduce your EPR to 1, if needed we will adjust from there. That should lower your CA events.

You are among the (un)lucky individuals that may be suffering from Treatment Emergent Central Apnea. This often occurs with new CPAP users as you CPAP helps you breathe more efficiently, including the flushing of CO2 from your system. Our main drive to breathe is having enough CO2 in our system to require removal. When CO2 levels drop below your apneic threshold a central apnea occurs until your CO2 builds up while you are not breathing. This occurs gradually in a waxing and waning repetitive pattern.

To confirm provide a 10 minute zoomed view of your CA events and
Post your sleep studies, redacted, especially your initial diagnostic study.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was only able to get a limited amount of data from the sleep studies.  The second one is with MAD.

Can you explain what the EPR change is intended to do?  Isn't that the exhaust or breathing out pressure? 

Thanks,

Dan

Post Reply Post Reply
EPR change is intended to reduce the efficiency of your CPAP and thus decrease the flushing of CO2 from your system. This is very effective at reducing Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or other CO2 induced apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
OP - You mention in post #1 that you are feeling you don't have enough air. Several experts here would note that you minimum starting pressure is 4, which may be OK for adolescents but is not enough for adults, with 7 being a more appropriate minimum for adults. EPR decreases the pressure while you exhale, making it easier to breathe out against the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2021, 05:24 PM)mcman56 Wrote: [*]When I fist start the unit, I sort of feel like I'm not getting enough air.

Turn the feature called "ramp" off.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Being conservative, I started by going from EPR of 3 to 2 and started the ramp pressure at 5 instead of 4.  CAs are down.  The most impressive part is that minimum SpO2 was 92.  I have never seen anything that good.  I felt more air when I started and it was easier to exhale.  I do continue to have questions.
  • Total time in apnea is 6 minutes.  Based on zero knowledge, that seems not good.  Should that be a concern? 
  • CAs tend to be clustered in the last 1/2 or 1/3 of the night.  Could that mean something?
Thanks for all of this support,
Dan

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 309 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 467 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 582 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,601 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.