Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP Travel Machine Comparison
New CPAP Travel Machine Comparison
Hi All, I am a new forum member. I currently have the Resmed S9 Auto with the heated tube and humidifier.  I find myself traveling more and more, so it is time to look into investing in a travel machine. My Dr has recommended the Z1 in the past. I see the new Resmed Air Mini and Respironics DreamStation Go.

At first glance, the DreamStation Go seems appealing since it uses my existing mask vs the Air mini which has its own.

Any other feedback, opinions, etc?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP Travel Machine Comparison
Welcome Welcome to ApneaBoard.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in a very similar mode. Just replaced an S9 with an Autoset 10 and I've been hovering over the new travel machines as well.

The AirMini definitely aces the size thing So one point for the Mini. But it comes with some compromises that I'm not comfortable with. If you need humidifcation as much as I do giving up a true humidifier doesn't seem wise. I keep hoping to see some good reviews from the HME users but haven't yet. The Dreamstation Go is going to get a real humidifier apparently but just when and what are still anybody's guess. I also like that it has an internal power supply and a pretty slick battery solution as well. So one point for the Go

My other reluctance to jump on the Go is that after many years of Resmed therapy I'm not sure going to a machine with a different therapy algorithm, even for short travel hops is smart. So one point for the Airmini! I'm old fashioned and like the touch screen on the Go better than the phone app for the Mini. So one point for the Go!

I'm already using one of the required masks for the Mini and pretty happy with it so that is a draw for me but I would think having to use a particular mask with the Mini is a big turn off for a lot of people.

Early reviews say the Mini is kind of noisy with the HME adapter in line. I'm not personally very sensitive to noise but if it's that bad it could still be an issue regardless of being noise dumb.

So hopefully, you early adopters of both machines out there will start tossing out some reviews and help us fence sitters make a move!!
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a few reviews of the Dreamstation Go on this board, and even more of the AirMini over at cpap talk, that are well worth reading. I currently travel with a Transcend (and older model, without EZEX) which I hope to replace soon with one of these newer models.

The Transcend and the Z1 are well known to make loud mask/hose noises which we affectionately refer to as the "Darth Vader problem". With the Transcend at least, it's not too noticeable during the ramp, but if I wake up while using it the sound is annoying and makes it harder for me to fall back asleep (I usually hit the ramp button when this happens as a result). I've read that this varies by mask - with some it may not be a problem - but it's been a problem with everything mask I've tried (all nasal pillows).

From what I've read in the reviews that are available so far, the AirMini seems to have this problem too, and the Dreamstation Go appears not to have this problem (only two reviewers though so YMMV). One person reported that with the AirMini, the air exhaust vent with the modified Airfit P10 mask is located at the humidifier and they found it blowing air onto them.

I personally do fine without humidification for several days (I've traveled with my Transcend for up to two weeks at a time and did fine without the humidification) so based on the above I am pretty certain that I will end up going with the Dreamstation Go. But I'm waiting to see if other reviews come out. I've ruled out the AirMini for myself - noise, proprietary masks, and annoying air exhaust make it three strikes for me.

If you are not bothered by the Darth Vader noise, the Transcend has otherwise been a great travel unit for me - 75 to 100 nights a year for five years - and is priced significantly lower than the AirMini or Dreamstation Go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleeplessinnewyawk,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy, and your travel machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I contacted Resmed about the Airmini the second I saw it a while ago and their support emailed me an answer saying that they
had no current plans to build one in a bipap version!
Here was their exact response:

"Thank you for contacting myAir Support.
In response to your email, unfortunately at this time we are not planning to produce a Bipap version of the Air Mini. Please check back periodically and we will certainly update you should anything change!"

If they did I would have bought 2 of them immediately.
(I travel a lot.)

My doc says I may be able to convert to APAP use and I will be trying it to see.
Would be nice to have a tiny machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am an inveterate traveler and having to use an xPAP machine has made some changes to the way I travel but not significantly so. In the last six months I spent a month touring Tasmania and a fortnight in the UK. I took my normal machine (PRS1 series 60) with me for both trips. All I needed to make sure is that I had a power supply. Camping aside, I can't really see me needing a specific travel machine. What I did for the UK trip was to pack my machine in my carry on baggage and put the humidifier in my checked baggage. I had a HME humidifier but could probably have got away with not using it.

What does have to be understood is that machines like the Transcend look really small - until you add a battery which doubles their size. You also have to recharge that battery. So in many respects it's a bit of a false economy. If you're going to be away from a mains power supply then you will need a battery but you also need to work out how you will charge it. From what I can gather the Transcend P4 is 2900mAH (is that 2.9 amp hours?). It might get your machine through a night but then it will be depleted.

Bottom line is for me is that if you're not camping, I can't see the point.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2017, 04:33 AM)holden4th Wrote: I am an inveterate traveler and having to use an xPAP machine has made some changes to the way I travel but not significantly so. In the last six months I spent a month touring Tasmania and a fortnight in the UK. I took my normal machine (PRS1 series 60) with me for both trips. All I needed to make sure is that I had a power supply. Camping aside, I can't really see me needing a specific travel machine. What I did for the UK trip was to pack my machine in my carry on baggage and put the humidifier in my checked baggage. I had a HME humidifier but could probably have got away with not using it.

What does have to be understood is that machines like the Transcend look really small - until you add a battery which doubles their size. You also have to recharge that battery. So in many respects it's a bit of a false economy. If you're going to be away from a mains power supply then you will need a battery but you also need to work out how you will charge it. From what I can gather the Transcend P4 is 2900mAH (is that 2.9 amp hours?). It might get your machine through a night but then it will be depleted.

Bottom line is for me is that if you're not camping, I can't see the point.

Different people, different needs. I travel 75 to 100 days a year - several dozen trips a year, most of which are 2 - 4 days. I rarely check luggage, and don't want to be loaded down with a third carry on for the CPAP (though the airlines do permit that) so having a machine that doesn't take up much space in my already overcrowded roll aboard or briefcase makes my work travel much more pleasant. I do have a battery for my Transcend, but rarely travel with it - I only use it for overnight/overseas flights or the occasional neighborhood power failure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been able to inspect the airmini closely, they have one at my local shop.

If regular CPAP or APAP mode works for you it's really really small.
Like side pocket laptop bag small

The one annoyance is the mask issue as my best results are with dreamgear.

I will be trying to hack that problem if I do ok on trying APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question, Can the HME be used with the Dream Go? This is an inline humidifier, correct?

Right now, based on what I have heard, I might be leaning towards the Z1 since it is proven, almost 1/2 the price, and will be used occasionally.

Where can I read about the potential humidifier for the Dream Go?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 9 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 615 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,446 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,252 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 254 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.