Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP Travel Machine Comparison
RE: New CPAP Travel Machine Comparison
(05-26-2017, 02:31 PM)loganpass Wrote: I'm already using one of the required masks for the Mini and pretty happy with it so that is a draw for me but I would think having to use a particular mask with the Mini is a big turn off for a lot of people.

I wouldn't be so sure about that....the Mini has its own versions of the Airfit masks (i.e. Airfit P10 for Mini) as it needs a slightly different set up for its "inline" humidifier...so unless you mask is one of the ultra new "for Mini" versions, then you'd need a mask too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are hose "kits" that replace the elbow and hose to add the Humidx assembly and move the exhaust from the elbow but the mask itself doesn't have to be replaced. That said, I'm so happy with the N20 if I make the plunge I will add a second complete mask for my travel kit.

My point was more that for a lot of people who aren't already comfortable with one of the Airfits, having to change to a new and different mask might not be very appealing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just spent 3 days and 2 nights backpacking my Dreamstation Auto BiPap across Catalina Island. It's travel ready lol!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2017, 09:00 AM)sleeplessinnewyawk Wrote: I currently have the Resmed S9 Auto with the heated tube and humidifier.  I find myself traveling more and more, so it is time to look into investing in a travel machine. My Dr has recommended the Z1 in the past. I see the new Resmed Air Mini and Respironics DreamStation Go. Any other feedback, opinions, etc?

[Although I've posted this in a slightly different formats on two other threads, posting here in light of the other posts seemed appropriate.] 

Recently I decided to research and purchase a new travel APAP for frequent trips from California to northern Europe. A typical trip includes 10.5 hour KLM 787-9 flights which have US AC outlets. I scoured various apnea boards and watched YouTube videos for data about the Phillips Respironics Go and ResMed Mini. You may see the following as an infomercial for the Phillips Respironics Go (hereafter Go), but I have absolutely no connection to any CPAP company. I just want to add one person’s experience in researching and buying and using the Go. Your own conclusions may vary.

I’ve used a CPAP/APAP for almost five years with usually about 2 AHI with a prescription min/max of 4-9. I have used a ResMed S9 and S10 (with and without humidifiers) and a HMD Z1 (and have its battery pack). I very much like the S9; it's reliable and solid and quiet. After many trials, I (and my wife) tolerate the Z1 well but it is noisier than the S9. For me, both machines require you to carry too many things if you travel (even without humidifiers). The S9 with its cumbersome brick is quite heavy and has an easily damaged three-pin electrical connect. The nice but bulky S9 carrying case adds one more piece of luggage to any trip. For travel, the Z1, although very small, effectively requires not only the basic machine, but also a mandatory plastic insert between the machine and its tube, an optional Q Tube insert for quieter nights, and a heavy brick with cables on both ends. (The S9 provides really basic information on the machine’s own screen. The Z1 has never worked smoothly with my iPhone 7 iOS 10, even after long conversations with HMD’s friendly technical support staff.)

In light of these facts with the advent of new travel machines, I decided to buy either a ResMed Mini or a Respironics Go. I was dissuaded from the Mini, despite my familiarity with the ResMed algorithm, by its cumbersome HIE insert, its strict limitation to a few proprietary mask types, and, most important, the various (possibly accurate or inaccurate) reports of high tube noise levels. (The ResMed price for its necessary Mini P10 mask is much higher than the usual very good P10 mask). I was persuaded to purchase the Go by its thoughtful integration of all components into one elegant piece. The entire Go unit, about 2 inches in width in its taut travel case, and its simple (no brick!) electrical cord and tube slip easily into my computer travel bag. You should note that the Z1 can use a HDM $39 direct to DC electrical cord while the Go would need a converter.

I now use the Go full time.  So far, the Go itself seems to be an extremely flexible, extremely quiet device. The Go effortlessly provides to a smart phone more information than the S9 or Z1 on the Go screen or via its dedicated Blue Tooth app. (Your doctor (or you) very easily can alter the pressure limits once you know the Go’s simple medical entry protocol which can be found via this site.) The Go adjusts to use any manufacturer's various tube sizes, 12, 15, and 22, and comes with its excellent proprietary very light weight, very compact 12 mm tube. Unlike the Mini, the Go is compatible with any type of mask or nasal pillows. The Go unit appears to be very well built and has no elements that would snag (or get lost) in carry-on or checked luggage.

To my eye, the Go has the perfect, if somewhat pricey, proprietary Go battery solution. The very solid basic machine and the companion battery slide into each other to yield a fairly compact single unit.  You can leave the add-on battery attached to the APAP or CPAP Go and, if power fails, the battery automatically starts. Alternatively you can charge the battery on the side and use it when you know you will not have an electrical outlet available. The battery will run the Go for about a dozen hours at moderate CPAP 10 levels. The Go currently does not have a humidifier but quite clearly has been designed for the addition at some future date.

My overall impression is that the Go’s designers were determined to avoid earlier travel CPAP issues and to make travel simple.  The Go seems far superior to the Z1 as a convenient travel machine. At the moment, after one month use, my perhaps too diligent research about alternatives appears to have yielded a really good solution for a person who wants a travel with an APAP or CPAP that also can be used full time at home. The current pricing for the APAP appears to be about $849 for the APAP and $799 for the CPAP and $299 for the battery pack. Some small discounts on pricing -- about $20 -- have started to appear.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi David Govan,
May I ask, I was debating the ResMed S9 Autoset with the 30 watt power supply since it appears much smaller than the power brick and appears to work with the S9 without the humidifier compared to the Dreamstation Go Auto.  

If my review of the specs are correct

Resmed S9 
6 in x 5.5 in x 3.25 in
1.78 lbs
15mm slimline tube
Commercial Link Removed, Instead, search Supplier #14 for ResMed S9 AC Power Supply 30W.

Dreamstation Go
5.937” L x 5.937” W x 2.315” H
1.86 pounds

12mm slimline tube

Comparing those specs, it doesn't seem like the S9 without the humidifier is far off from the Dreamstation Go Auto.  What am I missing?  

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2017, 04:52 PM)MingTyhMaa Wrote: Resmed S9 
6 in x 5.5 in x 3.25 in
1.78 lbs
15mm slimline tube

Dreamstation Go
5.937” L x 5.937” W x 2.315” H
1.86 pounds

12mm slimline tube

Comparing those specs, it doesn't seem like the S9 without the humidifier is far off from the Dreamstation Go Auto.  What am I missing?  

-----

The Dreamstation Go includes the power supply. The 30W supply available for the S9 weighs 0.8 lbs. So, there is a small
difference of 0.7 lbs or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have traveled with each -- the S9 and the Go -- and even on one initial trip with both. (I did use the S9's smaller 30 W brick all the time, but it's much bulkier than the Go's simple cord.)

The Go is much easier to pack into either luggage or a computer bag or hand bag in its skin tight carry case and is a much more solid design. The S9's travel bag is a pain to pack, comparatively, and its electrical pin connection is not really suitable for constant reattachments. The real clincher for me is the Go's very slender 12 mm tube and its brick-less cord. Lastly, the Go provides immediately much more detailed data about apnea types -- central, obstructive and hypopnea.

To be sure, I did really like the S9, without a humidifier; but, the Go is a far better travel companion, and I now use it at home too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 615 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,447 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,252 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 254 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.