Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP: Twice the prev AHI
RE: New CPAP: Twice the prev AHI
I really like my DreamStation Auto, so I think you could make some tweaks and get it to work well for you.

But I think the collective advice you'll receive here is to return it to your DME and request a ResMed (which isn't bad advice).
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can get a Resmed, you're better off. Your obstructive apnea are heavily clustered. You need to deal with the positional apnea by using a collar or assessing what has changed in your sleep position or pillow. If you changed your pillow that may be part of the problem.

Your old machine was set on Auto CPAP, and I think you should do the same with this one. Minimum pressure 10.0, Maximum pressure 14.0 with AFlex at 2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help.
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
No offense but if you have a choice at this point get a ResMed autoset.  It does far better and easier to set up.  Look around this site and you will find many posts that back up the preference of a resmed to a dreamstation.  I owned a dreamstation for 5 years and NEVER got good sleep.  I got a resmed this year and have less than 3 events every night after I got it in July.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I went back and tried my old CPAP machine. 

Man, did I get a good night's sleep, probably the first in two weeks since I have been using the new machine!  And the machine data conforms I got a good night's sleep. I had an AHI of 1.4, much better than my average AHI prior to the new machine. 

This positively confirms to me that the new machine, the DreamStation,  has problems! 

For all of you recommending I get a different brand, I don't have that choice as my DME only provides Philip's products. I am in a very remote area and this DME is the only one available to me. I guess I could get one on the internet but then I would have problems with getting services. I appreciate your advice, however.

Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply
WHAT services would you not get?  Any DME will be happy to sell you supplies either through insurance or out of pocket. They do NOTHING as far as settings. Sorry but I don’t think you understand what they do.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME  provides the routine supplies needed for the CPAP machine: mask replacements, filters, hoses, etc., under my insurance. The next closest DME is more than 150 miles away, much to far if I have problems, particularly in the Winter when many, if not all of the roads close do to snow. When I said remote, I meant it! We are 12 miles in the mountains from the nearest town which is very small.
Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME has a store in my town BUT all supplies are done with an 800 number that is sent to one of 4 regions. Everything come by UPS, I ca not get anything at the “store”. I would imagine you will have the same type of service.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thought, you already have found out your supplier does
NOT have the machine you want - do you think they will have the mask you need. There are many many different masks made by many different manufacturers. If you are in a small town how many different models do they have in stock? Will you have to settle for what they have on hand?

Again, you will most likely be doing mail order to get wat you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too would not let the nearest DME only offer Respironics stop me from getting the machine I need. I would choose DME by what they offer in terms of machines. For myself, I have a local office for my DME that's 12 miles away, but it's in another state. My insurances, because my secondary is based on the state welfare office, I must go 45 miles away to a town within PA. But I get the service and machine I need. I've yet to get PAP type supplies because I was just issued the ASV through this new to me DME. Prior supplies came via UPS or FedEx. New DME sends me nebulizer medication via either UPS or FedEx, and most likely PAP supplies will as well.

BTW I'm a person that MAKES the choice on my machine brand, and I choose the DME so I make that machine choice happen. If you want good therapy, you must put effort into making it happen. Do not sit back and be passive on therapy. Do your part to make it work.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.