Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP: Twice the prev AHI
New CPAP: Twice the prev AHI
This may be an old topic, if so direct me to it.

2 weeks age, I got a Dreamstation replacing my old Resmod System 1. It seems to be reporting twice the AHI my Resmod did. 

Is there a problem? 

Has anyone else had this problem?
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP: 2 the prev AHI
Can you post a night of OSCAR so we can see what you mean?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
If I understand you correctly, you replaced an older ResMed CPAP with a new Dreamstation and your AHI doubled.

I'm not surprised as typically Dreamstations require a higher pressure and the flex is not as effective at reducing Hypopneas as EPR on a ResMed is.

Post an OSCAR screenshot (F12) and we can help you out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2020, 06:24 PM)wolson Wrote: This may be an old topic, if so direct me to it.

2 weeks age, I got a Dreamstation replacing my old Resmod System 1. It seems to be reporting twice the AHI my Resmod did. 

Is there a problem? 

Has anyone else had this problem?

There is no Resmod System 1, so we'll assume Philips Respironics System One 50 or 60 series. Please try to be more accurate in what you are using, including manufacturer, model and settings. If you had gotten a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, or even used an older Resmed model, your results would probably have been much better.  You basically replaced your Philips System One with another Philips which is basically the same machine.  Show us the data and we'll try to help, but the problem is the limited therapy options on Philips CPAP machines. Since your profile shows a PRS1 with Cflex, this could be anything from a CPAP to an Auto CPAP, and the same goes for your new Dreamstation. Chances are, we can improve results, but we need to know the settings and type of events you are experiencing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK: tomorrow I will post some OSCAR plots
Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for responding. Thanks Thanks

First, the title of this thread was meant to be "NEw CPAP: Twice the prev AHI." My proofreading sucks!

Here is the information requested:

The old machine was Philips Respironics REMstar Auto (System One 60 Series).  In December 2015, it was programmed to be A-Flex 7 CWP to 12 CWP. My results at that time were quite varied. Then in February 2016, my Pulmonologist prescribed going to straight CPAP at 10 CWP.  These results are shown in attachment 1. The daily data is shown for November 11th, the last day that I used the machine. Generally, I would suffer higher AHI's towards the end of my sleep.

Then on November 12th, I started using the new machine, a Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP. These results are shown in Attachment 2. The results thus far have been abysmal. I am using the same mask, a Philips Dreamwear, new model (with the single backstrap and plastic sides,) at the same tightness. I note that the leakage rate is much higher. As a result of collecting this data, I also note that the old machine was set with C-Flex 3 whereas the new machine is set with C-Flex None. I will reset this to 3 by going into the technician settings for tonight. I will also tighten the mask straps a small bit to see if that improves performance.

I appreciate any assistance that you may give. Again, thank you.  Sleep-well Sleep-well
Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP: Twice the prev AHI
Check your thread title now. Merry Christmas! Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for modifying the the title!  like Thanks
Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply
Wolson, I suspect lots of flow limitation. Could you do a zoom on the flow rate at 2-3 minutes so we can see the shape of the flow? You have a tendency for obstructive events to cluster, which might be a bit of chin-tucking. I find the using a Flex setting of 3 can cause some sync problems with respiration. I strongly suggest you back that off to 2. This may help with some of the CA events.

Read the link on Organizing your OSCAR Charts in my signature. We have no use for the running AHI and want to focus on Events, Flow, Leaks, Snores.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was the worst night I have had with the new machine: if these continue, I will "round file" the machine and go to the old one.

Because of my own incompetence, [Image: oh-jeez.gif]I did not change the Flex. On the DreamStation, it requires changing two settings and I only changed one of them. I did however tighten the mask.

There is a lot going on in my sleep with this machine. For the first time ever, I had mouth leaks. I had to look them up to define them. I have provided four different flow rate periods, each showing something different. 

The conclusion I draw is this machine is out of control. I have never had nights like last night wearing a CPAP. I will talk to the technician at Wind River Oxygen about this tomorrow. I may go back to the old machine if they cannot get this machine to work!
Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.