Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User – Settings Help!
New CPAP User – Settings Help!
First off, a HUGE thank you to the team that builds and maintains the OSCAR project and Apnea Board!  I seriously do not know how I would handle my sleep apnea without the data that I get from OSCAR and the info I get from Apnea Board.  The idea that this data is kept from patients is mind-blowing.

For the past two months I have been using my Phillips Dreamstation APAP with a Dreamware nasal mask (not the pillow.) Over that time the pressure has been adjusted and my mask tweeked so that I now have a setup that seems to work well. 

The charts that I am getting, however, are not as free of events as others I see on the board and I am wondering if there are changes that I can make to my setup.  I have attached my OSCAR charts for a few sample nights and the summary page that shows the changes that have been made over time.  (I followed the instructions for capturing the screen shots.  Apologies in advance if I missed something.)  Could I get feedback and pointers based on what folks seen in my charts?

Thanks in advance!

Dreamstation APAP
Dreamware nasal mask
Pressure: 9 – 15 cm/H2O
Humidity: off
Heat: off
Flex: off
Ramp: off
Untreated AHI:  48
Treated AHI: 1.6 (avg)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User – Settings Help!
Welcome to the forum.
You are still having a lot of underlying flow limitations. This is evidenced directly with the presence of RERAs,we like to see none present, and FL events and indirectly by a shaggy look to your flow rate. Your only choice in reducing this with your machine is to increase min pressure.

The million dollar question, how do you feel? The answer to this here, or to your medical team should never be "fine", rather a critical look into how you feel, your symptoms. So, how do you feel?

Our preferred treatment would have been increasing EPR on a ResMed AutoSet as that is very effective for treating flow limits. Flex on PR machines does not do this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User – Settings Help!
Thanks for the feedback.  I will take the pressure change under consideration.  I may also try enabling the flex function, since I haven't used that yet.

To answer the 'million dollar question', I feel better but suspect I could still be getting better sleep.  Medically, there has been a huge improvement.  Lower AHI, snoring stopped, gasping stopped, minimal nighttime trips to the bathroom, leg movement stopped, and no more morning headaches.  My doctor's opinion is that all of that is great, APAP is working as expected, check in with him in a year. The sleep that I am getting is vastly better that what it was.  That said, I have had better sleep in the past.  There are a thousand reasons that might be at play here, but I want to start by getting my APAP dialed-in as much as possible.

Thanks again for taking a look at my charts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,484 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,040 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,014 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 225 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.