Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User- HELP with OSCAR
RE: New CPAP User- HELP with OSCAR
I take modafinil, which is the generic of provigil, I think. it definitely promotes wakefulness, without the side effects of an amphetamine based med like adderall. just know that it masks your sleepiness, which can be harmful if the underlying cause isn't resolved, but it can certainly help you get through the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, would you explain more about what your wife machine does that mine doesn’t do? I.e., what is the difference in epr and the flex setting that mine has? Just wondering so if I decide I want to try that machine, I want to know how to explain why.  

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a high level of why ResMed over Dreamstation

ResMed AutoSet Dreamstation Auto comparison
Why ResMed?

1. Faster algorithmic response to events than PR.
2. Lower average pressure
3. Better to avoid Aerophagia.
4. EPR provides for better treatment of hypopneas, RERAs, Flow Limits, UARS, and snores
5. EPR acts like a BiLevel up to a limit of 3cmw (1,2,or 3cmw) and a max pressure of 20 cmw
6. EPR follows your breathing where as Flex predicts it with a feeling of fighting to get a breath when it predicts incorrectly
7. More flexibility in treating a greater variety of Apneas and respiratory events.
8. In general provides better therapy.

I have frequently told many DreamStation users that they need to get either the ReaMed AutoSet or BiLevel to get better therapy. 

Respironics do cost less
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for replying! That is what I wanted to know! I will take this info with me to my doc and dme!
Post Reply Post Reply
You can expect to hear that there is no difference. After viewing thousands of reports, I can tell you that is not true. We can see how pressure is applied, the responsiveness of the machine, the secrecy of Philips compared to Resmed, the exclusion of end-user as a consideration, and the impact on events and comfort. Philips Respironics is designed and manufactured in the town where I live, and nothing would make me happier than to say it is the superior product. Sadly, it fails on so many levels. Respironics patents were taken out in the late 1980s and 1990s, and they have not changed their major algorithms or data collection in all those years, in spite of the amazing progression of computing power and an electronics that have happened over the past 30-40 years. Philips bought Respironics and very little other than form factor has changed. I'm so disappointed. Philips is competing by lowering prices and bribing sleep doctors and suppliers to exclusively carry their brand to the detriment of patients.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I know some guy named Dave that refuses to accept Respironics. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for replying! Hopefully I will get to try this one out. I emailed my dme and am waiting on reply.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
So I talked to my doctor, and I asked him about UARS, but i had to show him the Oscar report and how flat my line was when inhaling for him to take me serious (which by the way he sounded like he had no idea that you could do this ?‍♀️).  He said that switching to a new machine may help, but he wanted to make sure I didn’t have narcolepsy (so I have to wait months for a mslt nap test), and he wanted to try increasing the pressure more.  He said that trying to increase the pressure to 14 may help.  He couldn’t tell that my machine was set on auto and on his report just saw that the mean pressure for the last couple nights was 10. So he kept saying that he wanted to try to go from 10 to 14. So do y’all think this can help?  I know my machine has been set on auto for the past couple months, but since my machines isn’t as sensitive to RERAs, could increasing the pressure in fixed be better than the auto?  

Also, I am trying to get a copy of my full sleep study, but on this summary (I am going to attach), it says I had way more spontaneous arousals than respiratory arousals.  Does this point away from UARS? 

Thanks so much for all of you who have taken the time to read these so far and also of course those who have replied.

Attached Files
.pdf   SleepStudyReport.pdf (Size: 164.7 KB / Downloads: 24)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 468 2 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to CPAP, need help with analyze OSCAR tomakl 2 117 03-24-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: tomakl
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 118 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.