Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User - Looking for Advice
New CPAP User - Looking for Advice
Hello Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with OSA on July 25th.  I began CPAP therapy on Tuesday, which puts me three nights into therapy.  Here is my setup:

Phillips DreamStation 
Pressure Min/Max: 6/20
A-Flex 1
Humidifier/Heated Hose: 2/3
Opti-Start: On, Easy-Start: Off, Ramp: Offf

I have OSCAR installed on my computer, I realize an AHI below 5 is considered normal but would like to keep it below 3 and get it as low as possible without causing central apneas. 

Night 1 AHI: 2.05, Night 2 AHI: 4.34, Night 3 AHI: 4.44.  Not sure why night one was so much better than the second two.  
I have attached OSCAR screenshots along with my sleep study results.  

I would appreciate any input, feedback, or advise from the "sleep experts" on here!  Thank you in advanced!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User - Looking for Advice
I'm seeing some clustering of events, and quite a bit of snoring.  This suggests to me that you are closing off your airway at times, perhaps losing tone in your neck as you fall into successively deeper levels of sleep.  At least, that's what you're TRYING to do....you don't often get there because your snore or experience something else that arouses you enough to turn over, move your head, or some other 'remedy' to help you to get back to sleep.  This is a never-ending cycle.  And, over time, it's about like having no PAP machine working for you at all.

Please wait for others to offer their interpretation.  If they agree, even if only somewhat, we'd probably suggest that you acquire a foam cervical collar and wear it around your neck.  That generally does a good job of keeping your chin tucked toward your chest, especially if you occasionally turn onto your back.  Tucked chin = snoring and OSAs.

BTW, it would be really helpful if you would organize those screen shots some. We have an instruction here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...creen_Shot
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User - Looking for Advice
Welcome,

I'm sure mesenteris  meant to say the soft cervical collar  does a good job of preventing your chin from tucking toward your chest. Chin tucking causes a restriction in your airway. Minimizing the calendar and deleting the pie chart per the instructions he linked will make more useful data available.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 463 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 6 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 174 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,802 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.