Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User Need Mask Advise
New CPAP User Need Mask Advise
Hello All..

I just got my ResMed Airsense 10 and a couple of pillow masks came with it.

So I have a Beard. Not a Big bushy beard , but a trimmed well kept beard.
I also am tall 6.1ft and thin build so have a this face.
So I am not getting a seal and the Device says Failed Mask Test.

The mask's I was given are pillow masks , I guess full face masks they cover my mouth and press against my nose, and I totally dislike the following.

1. I can't breath through my nose well, just the way they press against my nose.
2. As noted they do not seal well.
3. I'm a Side Sleeper and these masks have the tubes running down the said of my face, and it blocks the air flow if I lay sideways.
4. I have a deviated septum so I typically wear "Nasal Dialators" in my nose to hold open my airways. but the CPAP seems to force open my nose airway (A Good thing). But I'd like the option to still wear them if possible. And the pillow mask doesn't allow this.
4. I have a hundred more complaints but it's all new to me so I realize I'll need to adjust to having this thing on my face all night, I dislike the feeling.

Can anyone help me please..

I'm totally new to this.. I do have an appointment with the vendor, but I'm not impressed they care that much.

Thanks in advance..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User Need Mask Advise
Hi PCman,
Sorry you are having so many issue with your masks, but just know that you are not alone.
Finding the right mask is the hardest part of therapy.  

I’ll leave it to others on mask recommendations as I use a nasal pillow and it works for me,
But I understand that having this alien thing on your face is going to be hard, especially if it doesn’t fit right.

Reading the “Mask Primer” may help.  See the fourth link in my signature line below.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. Mask selection is one the hardest parts of CPAP therapy for most because all of our faces are different. It's not clear from your post if you like or dislike full face masks. Many here find nasal pillows to be by far the best way to go. If your not convinced try a full face mask. I like the ResMed AirFit F20. It is one of the more popular full face mask. It can be worn with a beard. Although I don't have beard now I used it for about a year with a full beard and had no problem with leaks. Of course, you may try it and hate it. See if the supplier will let you try several masks with machine pressure. Also read the mask primer (link below).
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I also have a deviated septum and problems with congestion. I use a dreamwear nasal mask and find it has worked the best for me. I use some prescription nose spray 1 hr before bed time.

I also learned if your congested and wear a nasal mask, in about 5 min or so my clogged nasal passages begins to open up with the humidity set on 5 along with the pressure.

The dreamwear nasal mask has the hose attached to the top of your head instead of the typical front location. That was a big plus for me.

I’m like you as far has the full face mask and pressure points on the side of my nose, I just can’t wear a full face mask that touches the top or sides of the nose.

Also look at the dreamwear full face, it doesn’t go over your nose. I think this will work for me when I’m hopelessly clogged up. I just ordered one yesterday.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2019, 05:52 PM)PCman Wrote: Hello All..

I just got my ResMed Airsense 10 and a couple of pillow masks came with it.

So I have a Beard. Not a Big bushy beard , but a trimmed well kept beard.  For what it's worth, I have a beard, a big bushy one.
I also am tall 6.1ft and thin build so have a this face.
So I am not getting a seal and the Device says Failed Mask Test.  Hand hold the mask to your face. Move it around a bit to seal it. Does it leak?  If not then position the straps to match the feel on your face.

The mask's I was given are pillow masks , Generally the pillow masks are the easiest to seal (smaller area to seal).  I guess full face masks they cover my mouth and press against my nose, and I totally dislike the following.  Neither Nasal masks nor Full Face Masks should press against your nose, perhaps rest on the bridge (top) of the nose.

1. I can't breath through my nose well, just the way they press against my nose.  Specifically where are they pressing?
2. As noted they do not seal well.
3. I'm a Side Sleeper and these masks have the tubes running down the said of my face, and it blocks the air flow if I lay sideways.  The P10 Pillow Masks do not do this but you do want some form of hose control, otherwise the weight of the hose can pull on the mask causing leaks. but the CPAP seems to force open my nose airway (A Good thing). But I'd like the option to still wear them if possible. And the pillow mask doesn't allow this.
4. I have a hundred more complaints but it's all new to me so I realize I'll need to adjust to having this thing on my face all night, I dislike the feeling.

Can anyone help me please..  Read the Mask Primer.

I'm totally new to this.. I do have an appointment with the vendor, but I'm not impressed they care that much. This could be a opportunity to try on several masks.   This should be done lyinjg down and in sleeping position.  For you this would be both on your back and on your side.
[quote pid='308925' dateline='1567032745']

Thanks in advance..
[/quote]

Finding the right mask is the hardest part of CPAP therapy.  View the manufacturer's video of fitting the specific mask that you have.  Which mask is best for you, It is the one that works for you.  You want to try pillow masks, nasal masks, and full face masks.  

Let us know how it works out
Post Reply Post Reply
A 2nd vote for the ResMed AirFit F20. I'm back to using it after trying the AirFit F30. Although it's not perfect, it seems to work the best for me. 

I'm a mouth-breather and a side sleeper. The F20 is a well built and robust mask. It's also very easy to detach the mask from the cushion to clean. 

I have a mustache, but not a beard, so your experience may vary to some degree.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a beard for a while a few months ago, and I had no problem wearing the F20. I suffer from occasional non-allergenic rhinitis (a.k.a. non-allergy allergies), and a nasal mask or pillows just don't work for me. Plus, I'm a mouth breather (at least while sleeping). I find the F20 takes a little getting used to, but now I find it FAR more comfortable to sleep with than any other mask I've tried.

I once thought of getting one of those pillows with part of the sides cut away to allow the mask to hang more comfortably when on my side, but I've found I can sleep on my side pretty well without it, without leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!
My treatment improved a lot when I found a supplier that would loan me masks to try.
I've had about 4 of the Dreamwear masks. They worked well for me back then. They were quiet in use, and the strap coming from the top of my head was a great feature. It simplified hose management--less tugging on my mask than other nasal masks.
I've gone back to using a cpap pillow. Overall it is wedge shaped, but not too high. And it has cut-outs on each side so I don't move my mask off when I roll over.
I use a chinstrap to keep my mouth closed....with some difficulty. I've also used a wedge pillow under my jaw.
I replaced my Dreamwear with a nasal mask because I developed a bump under my nostril. ResMed N20. It's very comfortable now that I have the right width.

So for masks, finding the right design is important.
Then finding the right size is critical.
Finally, they don't last forever. Mine seem to last about 6 months. By the end of 6 months the "cushion" doesn't seal as well, and the headgear is stretched.
I keep my old mask headgear in case I need to modify a mask to make it more effective.
Dreamwear---I took the old velcro strap from a mask I had replaced and added it to stabilize my new mask. As a result the mask was held on better...and very comfortable. I couldn't even feel it was there.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 340 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 174 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,461 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,025 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,005 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,590 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.