Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User, Trying to Reduce CA's
RE: New CPAP User, Trying to Reduce CA's
Just wanted to circle back to tidal volume and if that's something to be concerned about and could be related to anything central if I'm chronically shallow breathing?

I'm 5'9" 208lb and my median tidal volume is 300-350 on average.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I had a better night AHI wise last night, even though I feel more tired than usual. However we have a heat wave right now as well as smoke from near by fires.

Anyways, I was looking at my flow graph in some more detail and noticed that some of my inspirations have 2 peaks and look like a "class 2" wave from the OSCAR guide in the wiki. However I don't see them flagged as a flow limit. Is that just because the amplitude of them aren't significant enough?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
At 5'9" and 240 lbs, I'm approximately the same size as you.

My median tidal volume is around 450 to 500 ml, so I don't know if I'm a deep breather and you are a shallow breather, just that I take in more than you. I've been singing since I was 8 or 10, so that may have something to do with it.

I hope somebody here has the formula for average tidal volume based on height and weight.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2021, 11:56 AM)pholynyk Wrote: At 5'9" and 240 lbs, I'm approximately the same size as you.

My median tidal volume is around 450 to 500 ml, so I don't know if I'm a deep breather and you are a shallow breather, just that I take in more than you. I've been singing since I was 8 or 10, so that may have something to do with it.

I hope somebody here has the formula for average tidal volume based on height and weight.

Thanks for the response. Good reference since we're the same height. Do you recall your median resp. rate and minute ventilation?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey all, hoping to get some insight on 2 things. First is what should I be presenting to my doctor for my telehealth appointment this Thursday.

From my doctor, I'm hoping to get a referral to an ENT to look at my upper respiratory system. I'm constantly only able to breath out of one nostril and no amount of Flonase and nettipotting can ever relieve it, so I don't believe it's congestion. I figure it may be a good avenue to go down before trying to look into any ASV or something.

However, I would like to share some OSCAR charts with her just so she has some data regarding the centrals I've been having as well as my tidal volume data. Is it best to just share the overall screenshots of a select few nights?

2nd is how to deal with mid-sleep insomnia. I have good sleep hygiene. No electronics, recently got a tempurpedic bed, no lights, no caffeine/alcohol/smoking, etc. However ever since CPAP therapy I wake up at least twice a night. Some nights I can fall back asleep, but others I just lay awake for hours. I don't find my mask uncomfortable or irritating. Attached my oscar data from last night where I woke up at 2:45 AM and couldn't get back asleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
Had one of my better AHI nights (2.1 AHI) followed by my worst with no changes in settings or sleep position.

Last night had an AHI at 11.4. I posted a screenshot, I have 2 very dense clusters. Is this SJW? Also posted just another CA event that wasn't a part of the cluster.

Post Reply Post Reply
What this is: the consistently inconsistent nature of CA.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2021, 10:13 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What this is: the consistently inconsistent nature of CA.

Perfect. If that's truly the case and I'm having idiopathic centrals then I have a long road to get adequate treatment. My doctor wants to refer me to an ENT first. Which is fine if there wasn't 6+ month wait to see one where I live.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking back over the last few days, my median respiration rate is about 17, and my Minute Vent is about 8.0 - 8.5.

Again, I don't know if I am average, as I've been singing since I was about 10.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2021, 12:45 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Looking back over the last few days, my median respiration rate is about 17, and my Minute Vent is about 8.0 - 8.5.

Again, I don't know if I am average, as I've been singing since I was about 10.

Good reference, thanks.

I'll be getting an f30i this week to see if my tidal volume and median vent will increase with the ability to breathe through my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 6 129 04-20-2024, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,571 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,450 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 195 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 669 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,791 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,259 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.