Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User, Trying to Reduce CA's
New CPAP User, Trying to Reduce CA's
Hi there, I've been using CPAP (APAP) for 11 days now and I'm trying to reign in my CA events. I tried discussing it with my Sleep Clinician and he has never heard of OSCAR before and wasn't really interested in hearing about the data and only is using the myAir data he receives via cloud. The fact that my average AHI on treatment is under 5 now he thinks there's nothing more that needs to be done.

I've been noticing lots of CA events and I only had a couple during my sleep study, which leads me to believe they're treatment-emergent. I've tried reducing my EPR from 3 to 2 and then to 1 and have noticed no real reduction in my AHI, which is 3-4 on treatment. I even tried no ramp last night as well. Any thoughts on what I should be trying/changing?

Stats:
Male, 31
Untreated AHI: 12.8
Sleep on my side 90% of the time

CPAP Stats:
ResMed AirSense 10, APAP mode.
Pressure: 7-16 epr 1(starting Rx was 6-16, epr 3)

Additionally, 2 nights ago I had an OA event that lasted for over a minute, not sure if that's something I should be concerned about? The pressure rose and eventually got me out of it, but I'm surprised it took that long and that the pressure didn't rise faster (my response is set to standard).

Thanks!

Attachments are an overview of last nights sleep, a detail view of last night around a cluster of CA's, and then the 3rd is over my minute long OA.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User, Trying to Reduce CA's
I would be concerned over a 1 minute OA. It points to pressures that are too low or positional apnea.

On the CA, make sure Ramp is off and if EPR is on, turn it down 1 number and see if CA diminish.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2021, 06:26 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I would be concerned over a 1 minute OA. It points to pressures that are too low or positional apnea.

On the CA, make sure Ramp is off and if EPR is on, turn it down 1 number and see if CA diminish.

Thanks for the reply!

Those screenshots are with a min 7 pressure, epr 1 and ramp off already. Guess I could try epr off if 1 was insufficient to combat CA's.
Post Reply Post Reply
CA's can't be combated with your machine, only avoided.
Zoom 1. Most of those look idiopathic/ unknown cause, toward the end CO2 induced or possible Treatment-Emergent.
Zoom 2. I see arousal with you doing a good amount of holding your breath, could be tossing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2021, 06:54 PM)Gideon Wrote: CA's can't be combated with your machine, only avoided.
Zoom 1.  Most of those look idiopathic/ unknown cause, toward the end CO2 induced or possible Treatment-Emergent.
Zoom 2. I see arousal with you doing a good amount of holding your breath, could be tossing.

Thanks for the response.

So if most of my CA's are of an unknown origin, I won't be able to avoid them with my current equipment?

And for zoom 2 with the long OA, I would still be holding my breath there even though it's classified as an obstruction?
Post Reply Post Reply
You likely tossed, you certainly could toss onto a 100% positional apnea, but I don't think so.
Post Reply Post Reply
As for your sleep therapist and accepting 5 AHI as good enough, start giving a list of symptoms and complaints on not well rested state, discomfort, etc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2021, 08:09 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: As for your sleep therapist and accepting 5 AHI as good enough, start giving a list of symptoms and complaints on not well rested state, discomfort, etc.

I'll try that thanks.

Should I be worried about my median tidal volume? It's in the 300's, and using the minimum tidal volume calculation of 6ml/kg I should be ~560ml (I'm 94.5 kg).
Post Reply Post Reply
Have another question regarding masks. I see that I should be keeping it in this thread vs. starting another.

I have the P30i and I've been starting to get irritated nostrils and also I have 1 nostril thats always 90% blocked so I'm effectively breathing out of 1 nostril only.

Is there a mask that would suit me better? I quite like the line from ResMed that connects at the top of the head.

I like the F30i on paper but I just don't know I need a FFM if I'm not a mouth breather (at least I don't think I am).
Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth breathing via that F30i full face gives the advantage to compensate through mouth breathing when you need that. It does mean you might get dry mouth. But with full face, mouth breathing isn't breaking your PAP circuit, but mouth breathing combined with nasal or pillows masks will break circuit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 339 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,472 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,033 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,008 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,590 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.