Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV
RE: New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV
FWIW: this is within OSCAR Daily charts view
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2020, 06:59 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Max PS is 12 because max IPAP is set to 16.

IPAP - EPAP = PS
16 (IPAP max) - 4 (EPAP min) = 12 (PS max)

You are having the odd obstructive apnea along with the hypopneas and these PR machines do not appear to react as quickly as Resmed. Higher EPAP is what is required to treat apneas and I would start by increasing EPAP slightly, this will also increase IPAP which will help with the hypopneas. I would set EPAP min to 6, IPAP max to 20, leave PS min at 4 (for now), PS max to 14 and try that for a few nights.

Can you swap out the pressure chart with mask pressure and post a couple 2 min zoomed in views of the hypopneas. Also curious to see one zoomed in normal breathing area. Kind of curious as to what is happening and how these PR machines respond.

This unit doesn’t show IPAP. What should settings be?
Post Reply Post Reply
Max IPAP = max pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK. Here are the settings now. Is this correct?

Pressure = 20
EPAP Max = 9
EPAP Min = 6
PS Max = 14
PS Min = 4
BPM =auto
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming pressure is max pressure yes that looks good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to view-> reset graphs-> Advanced  This shift the charts to display the respiratory values that better suit an ASV.

We made this easy in the new version of OSCAR that you have
Post Reply Post Reply
OK. I reset the graphs to Advanced.  Also, took new screenshots after.  Also included zoom in on hypopnea and normal breathing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the rest of the screenshots.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what algorithm PR uses for their ASV's but it is obviously much less reactive/forceful than Resmed's (only supplying 4-6 cm PS even when hypopneas are occurring). Increasing min EPAP and min PS will make the biggest differences with this machine, lets stick with the current changes for now to see what they do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 6 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.