Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV
RE: New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV
Really appreciate all the input. The equipment provider is telling me to give it a couple weeks to “see if you’ll get used to it.”  Been on CPAP for a couple months. I understood BIPAP was supposed to be easier to tolerate. Can’t see that waiting would help. Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance requires that a user try and fail CPAP before moving to BiPAP, and that you demonstrate intolerance to BiPAP before being provided BiPAP with backup or ASV. It's an awful system designed to cause patients that don't know the game to quit from frustration and discomfort. I have seen forum members provided ASV nearly immediately on the basis of failing BiPAP in titration, to some that suffered through this for several months. The best way to move the process forward is to use the equipment and routinely call and report your discomfort and lack of efficacy, with a request for an ASV titration. Phone calls and something called a Fax are the best ways to get attention. The widespread use of fax machines proves how backwards the medical profession really is. Smile The advantage of a fax is the office almost always adds it to your record.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's nothing "getting used to it" with regards to you and centrals and miraculously getting treatment by a machine not designed to treat centrals. Unless they are treatment induced, but I kind of doubt that.

My numbers were similarly bad with centrals on the same machine you are on and that pushed them toward the ResMed ASV. You should get a titration study done on an ASV.

I agree with Dave too. Show them your OSCAR data. Then they will realize that they are talking to a guy who knows more than the average client that just fell off the walnut truck. And you should be two weeks closer to resolving your centrals.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW here's an excerpt of my post on my own newbie trip from BPAP to ASV. Just showing the sketch conversation. It's still a ridiculous circus to get the ASV, but I'll help you get there if I can.

From post dated 4/11/17 & I think I didn't get my ASV until August.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid199973

"...Then says I, "I am a patient that likes to research and be informed of what I'm dealing with. My research of the high apnea count, especially my central apnea, does this indicate we are headed towards an ASV device?" Doc "It looks that way from what I'm seeing."
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You must speak to the Dr there is nothing the DME will do for you as any machine change requires a prescription change
Post Reply Post Reply
It gets curiouser and curiouser. I have been having up to 197 "clear airway apneas" per night and have not gotten my AHI to go below 18-24. I had my second in lab sleep study last night for an ASV titration. According to the tech, there were exactly 2 central apneas. The majority were hypopneas and what he described as extremely shallow breathing and lowered oxygen. If the 197 clear airway apneas are not central, and bipap therapy is not working, what could be the cause?
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect he meant 2 Central Apneas WITH the ASV. That would need to be verified but is what I would suspect.
Post Reply Post Reply
2 ca with the machine or without? if with, maybe they titrated them out? either way, ca is inconsistent. unfortunately, you might have had a good night in the lab, meaning fewer ca than usual.
Post Reply Post Reply
We sometimes see CA replaced with H events with ASV therapy, and this is usually more prevalent with Philips Auto SV than with Resmed ASV. It really depends on how the titration was setup including the minimum pressure support and EPAP pressures used. There may be a solution to the hypopnea with ASV but without seeing the titration details it's hard to tell.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am thinking I may need to get the full report from the doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 553 18 minutes ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 406 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,516 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.