Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV
RE: New User ready to quit
This is going to seem a bit off-the-wall-, but one of the easiest solutions to try is a soft cervical collar. Your events are being recorded as central, and we usually see obstructive events in positional apnea. Before you jump to conclusons that it sounds awful, read these two articles:
Positional Apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

The soft collar approach is inexpensive, usually helps with mask fit and reduces events regardless of sleep position. My other therapy suggestion was to set your machine to CPAP mode at a pressure of 6.0 with EPR off. I hope you will try the pressure change tonight, and if events and leaks continue, add the soft collar. We will learn from these experiments, and hopefully solve some problems while we're at it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just popping in for two things:

1) To offer encouragement.   A lot of events & AHI but your LACK of oxygen (Sp02) desaturation in the report of your test was really, really good so you have a great foundation work and are not getting as torn up by the high AHI number as others might have seen back when their AHI was still high.       

2) To support what Supersleeper said about positional sleeping and the neck collar.  

Near the top of your report it says ~events occur predominately supline, 53 events while sleeping on your back.   

Wow, transitioning from back sleeping to side sleeping and not tucking the chin are fixes you have the most control over and they can be improved quickly.  

See the two articles Supersleeper posted.

Best of Luck!

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much to everyone for the input!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
To clarify, did you mean "we usually see obstructive events in positional apnea" or central events?
Post Reply Post Reply
Stick with us, we will help you get better therapy. 

As noted above it may not be an easy path.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't give up! It's now been over a year for me, and I'm still waiting for my SA Therapy to kick in. 

Some of my best night's sleep is when I go w/o the therapy.  Happy Eyes I don't make a habit of going w/o, but some nights I just do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2019, 02:27 PM)tntfrahm Wrote: To clarify, did you mean "we usually see obstructive events in positional apnea" or central events?

Hello tntfrahm,
To answer your question...
We usually see Obstructive events with positional apnea.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What keeps you sticking with it Big Guy?  That’s been my mental battle and it’s only been a few weeks.  Are you getting benefits?
Post Reply Post Reply
tntfrahm, you have been dealt a harsh hand, sorry.  The question going forward is how do you want to handle it.  

IMHO the first choice, the worst one, is to do nothing.  

The second choice is to work with your medical team.  Work with them in the direction they go.
The third choice is to work on influencing them to move in a direction that will resolve your Central Apneas.  Alternately identify a sleep apnea team that works with central apnea patients.
The fourth choice is to go outside of the system, purchase a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV machine to resolve the centrals.

which would be your preference?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 24 447 27 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 587 33 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,519 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 626 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.