Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV
RE: New CPAP User ready to quit - Central Apnea, ASV
Just to give some perspective on the ASV and prescriptions and insurance.

I can't tell if you've had an echocardiogram yet and if you got the "all clear" to become a candidate for ASV.
Past studies showed that the ASV is contra-indicated for people with certain heart issues. 
The echocardiogram ensures that you don't have a reduced left ventricular ejection fraction.

Once you have the "all clear" for an ASV, the next question is... will they prescribe one for you?

Assuming the answer to that is "yes", your next question is "How good is the insurance coverage?"

In my case, getting the prescription was actually easier than it should have been.
The Doc was super helpful and even lent me one to try.

However, when I checked the insurance, they would not let me purchase one, they would only let me rent one.
The rental price was astronomical!
I quickly discovered that I could purchase a USED machine for the price of 6 weeks rental!
I could have bought a NEW machine for the price of about 5 months rental (plus or minus).

So, assuming you get a prescription for an ASV... check out the financial implications.
If you are forced into a rental and if the rental prices are sky high then I'd suggest buying one and skipping insurance completely.
It's your choice whether to go USED or NEW.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 06:24 PM)tntfrahm Wrote: I am thinking I may need to get the full report from the doctor.

Please do.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
You guys must be psychic.  I was told by my doctor that I needed an ASV unit.  They put in the request to the provider.  The provider stated they were working with insurance to confirm that it was approved.  After not hearing from them, I called the provider and was told that my Dreamstation Auto BiPap was effectively an ASV as it has pressure support.  They told me that all they needed to do was have a respiratory therapist come out to set the pressure support.  My BS detector started rotating.  Is this accurate or are the giving me a load of garbage?
Post Reply Post Reply
"Dreamstation Auto BiPap was effectively an ASV"; baloney unless it's ACTUALLY an ASV. ASV is BiPAP With Backup Rate.

If it's ResMed 10 Series, it's called AirCurve ASV. If it's a Respironics DreamStation, it's an AutoSV model DSX90011 in US.

A Ford Fusion is not effectively a Mustang, if you know what I'm saying. Either it is or it ain't. We don't ask for effectively...reject and kick their butt.

PS on your script look for a medical code, look for medical reimbursement code like "RAD without back-up rate E0470" this equals ResMed VAuto and similar but not ASV

RAD with back-up rate E0471 is where ASV and ST-A are. It states it on my own script E0471...I've got an actual ASV!

Very different reimbursement codes.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update. I got the ASV machine! My numbers went from the 20s to 3-5 AHI overnight. I had a cold the last few days which made using it difficult, but, even with the cold, I was at 13AHI. My question now is, can anyone direct me to a thread about getting data from this unit? It no longer shows events. The machine is a Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP autoSV Advanced.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update your version of OSCAR. There is a new beta release that has all the Philips Respironics updates in it, and the best way to get to use version 1.1.0 is to PM Bonjour to join the Beta Test Group for OSCAR. There are major improvements for the Philips Dreamstation Auto SV and you can help the development team by using the beta version.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I'll try that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ran an install.  I already have 1.1.1-r-1.  Is that the most recent version?  It is still showing 0.00 AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Besides a 0 AHI, what is on your Daily charts? Any time for sleep sessions? It's possible to get a zero event night. Look at your Daily and post it if there's usage showing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome tnt to the sleep apnea board  forum,
dont give up as the benefits of bringing your apnes down are manifold, . For me im now getting down to around 2 AHI a night and feeling much brighter and alert. I hope this will happen to you.

I have been using a F30 mask and experiencing large leaks and thinking of trying yet another mask, your mask is probably  similar problem, though the leaks disturb my sleep and apneas only slightly up on my last mask.
I still have clusters when I sleep on my back so I try and side sleep, Oscar wll give you a clue if this happens to you also look  up on this site about chin tucking and the use of a cervical collar.

But follow the guidance of members here who have a lot more experience than me , I am sure they can put you on the right track. Its been my experience that the Sleep Doctors and clinicians dont have the time to fine tune ones treatment.

All the best
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 358 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,513 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 538 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.