Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP machine. I have some questions
New CPAP machine. I have some questions
Recieved my new cpap machine last week. Had my first once since 2014 (Fisher and paykel icon) and now i'm having the Resmed airsense 10 and it works good so far, My AHI looks great when it didn't look that good with my old machine. 

Now decided to download sleepyhead again and found some things that weren't there when i was still using my old machine. I'll screenshot some of it below.

I was kinda familar with me having central apneas every now and then and SleepyHead shows some central sleep apnea events. I was only diagnosed with OSAS so i still think that it's kinda weird. And what does the XXXXXXXXXX mean?

But the thing that's new to me is the ''unknown apnea'' and ''cheyne stokes respiration'' I did some reading on this board here and found that it often means nothing as in no real cheyne stokes respirations but i'm not too sure what this means in my case.

Can somebody here help me trying to figure things out?

Thanks!

(Apparently i need to have 4 posts first before i'm allowed to share an image so i'll be back with my screenshot in a little bit)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP machine. I have some questions
Here is my SleepyHead screenshot:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jenn84,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

If you would follow the links in my signature line pertaining to organizing your daily page, that will give you the best responses and advice. We prefer to see the entire left panel (minus calendar and pie chart) along with graphs.

It is really best if you would download OSCAR, then use the F12 key to take a screenshot, as that will give us what we need to see.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Updated screenshot for Jenn84.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a little curious here in general.    With OSCAR, you can click on the graph title, to drag individual graphs up or down in order, you can also click+hold and drag form the (upper and lower edge of a graph) to increase the height of an individual graphs (getting more graphs in on a single screenshot perhaps, and maybe only the needed graphs into a single screenshot).

The question would then become, what is the preferred (vertical) graph order and which graphs are necessary/unnecessary for a screenshot.    A secondary question would be which graphs could be narrowed a lot vertically and which ones should be left alone or even given more vertical room for more detail.

That all comes down to, can the OSCAR page be arranged for a perfect single screenshot?    It seems like there could be a "gold standard" screenshot image somewhere to follow.

Of course, maybe it's just early, I've had too much coffee and I'm thinking too much.  Ha.  

Good look Jenn, I'd pay some good money for a night that looked like yours.  My nights are much more CPAP eventful, and at a much higher pressure range which brings in more complications with mask leaks and such.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2021, 08:53 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Updated screenshot for Jenn84.

Thank you for sharing this for me

Like i said, i don't understand the Cheyne stroke bit and looks like i have central apneas every night, as a matter of fact central apneas are the leading apneas, above hypo/obstructive apneas. Years ago during a PSG the neurologist told me that having central sleep apneas every now and then isn't something to worry about so not sure what to make of it. Had another sleep study this week because i'm still tired after years of CPAP therapy and they want to see if there's other factors next to OSAS, RLS and PLM's so have to see where it goes.

Some yesterday stats and the day before stats as an example:

AHI 3:16
Clear airway: 1.66
Obstructive:  1.16
Hypoapnea:   0.33

AHI  1.69
Clear Airway: 0.72
Obstructive:   0.63
Hypoapnea:   0.36
Post Reply Post Reply
Central Apnea: did you have many in the past? Did a diagnostic sleep study show a lot? Most PAP users, these answers are no.

Next, supposing you normally don't have CA as a big issue, your new ResMed machine is more efficient at helping you exhale CO2, at levels your body isn't used to yet. When this occurs you get CA flags. Here we call these CA treatment emergent. They will diminish with time.

Actions? Look at your EPR settings. They are x? To reduce CA for now, whatever your EPR is reduce it by 1. This is temporary to give you a little less CO2 exhale efficiency which reduces TE-CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2021, 08:56 AM)Phil7 Wrote: That all comes down to, can the OSCAR page be arranged for a perfect single screenshot?    It seems like there could be a "gold standard" screenshot image somewhere to follow.
l

I don't want to hijack Jenn's thread, but all you need do is use the F12 key for the standard screenshot. This is the basic of what we need to see, then if more is needed, we usually ask.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2021, 09:25 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Central Apnea: did you have many in the past? Did a diagnostic sleep study show a lot? Most PAP users, these answers are no.

Next, supposing you normally don't have CA as a big issue, your new ResMed machine is more efficient at helping you exhale CO2, at levels your body isn't used to yet. When this occurs you get CA flags. Here we call these CA treatment emergent. They will diminish with time.

Actions? Look at your EPR settings. They are x? To reduce CA for now, whatever your EPR is reduce it by 1. This is temporary to give you a little less CO2 exhale efficiency which reduces TE-CA.

Hey Dave,

I did have central apneas in the past, during a sleep study, not sure how many but there was no follow up so i'm pretty sure that it wasn't that many.

I will give it some time, and in november i'll see my neurologist again for all the results, had another sleep study this week + a 7 day actigraph so i'll ask her for more info if its still a thing by then.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, first, this likely changes the CA type to pre-dominant or pre-existing, idiopathic may be used as a name sometimes too for unknown medical cause. These typically will not diminish over time. If the current CA become an issue, then you can "avoid" some with lower EPR as I said above. Also not using Ramp can reduce CA some. Sometimes editing pressure settings may help too.

Take notes even now if your Central Apnea seem to hinder sleep and rest. It's good to build a history about them. Note how they affect your sleep, how you feel from them, trends in the OSCAR. If your CA become bad, the best machine within ResMed is an AirCurve 10 ASV, 9 series is fine too. Where you are, I forgot what ResMed calls these, but a sign you're on the right track is to look at machine specs and find respiratory backup rate. This is a big tool in combating CA.

All CA regardless of type will be consistently inconsistent. They change in value daily whether or not any settings were changed. This is why it's harder to track them and make doctors notice.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 82 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 296 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 619 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.