Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP machine-very weird problem
New CPAP machine-very weird problem
Hi,

I replaced my 5 years old Lowenstien PRISMA 20A with a same new one. Same hardware, new Software version. I was surprised to get completely different results as follows:

Old machine: close to none Obstructive Apnea and Hypopnea index (Obstructive AHI ~0) and about 10 Central Hypopnea index (Central AHI ~ 10).

New machine: about 10 Obstructive Hypopnea index and 2 Apnea index (Obstructive AHI ~12) and about 3 Central Apnea-Hypopnea index (Central AHI ~ 3).

Nothing else was changed except replacing the old machine with a new one (Although, as a Buddhist, I believe we are changing every day, but not that much  Too-funny ).

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Arik
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP machine-very weird problem
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the internals (firmware particularly) have been changed without changing the model name or number. ResMed is well-known for this practice; my four year old AirSense 10 AutoSet is missing several features that have been added to the new machines.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If apnea is obstructive, then increasing minimum pressure closer to the median pressure will help. It sounds like the company has changed the apnea detection software.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is only an idea, a possibility to check: Look everywhere in your machine's clinical settings, go through every menu after putting the machine in "clinician mode" or whatever Weinmann calls it, to see whether the software developers have provided a way to define the apnea and hypopnea thresholds. For instance, the De Vilbiss machines have those as user-changeable parameters, with the defaults being the usual 10% for 10 seconds (apnea) and 50% for 10 seconds (hypopnea). If your new machine uses different definitions than the old one, that would account for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
Thank you all for the responses. I still dont' understand how the Central and Obstructive Indexes "changed" position.

Arik
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2019, 01:22 AM)Arik Wrote: Hi,
Thank you all for the responses. I still dont' understand how the Central and Obstructive Indexes "changed" position.

Arik

I doubt anything changed for you, but it is likely the older machine reported centrals in error.  It might be worth calling customer support and ask if they have an explanation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 12 402 10 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,101 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 218 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 147 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 182 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,906 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 400 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.