Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP may not be new
New CPAP may not be new
Hi,

I have been on CPAP for over 15 years and I just discovered this forum while searching for a user manual for my old machine.

I got a new(?) machine on Dec 31st and I noticed after a couple of days that it showed 11 days and about 150 hours more than I actually had the machine.

Fast forward to today. I downloaded and installed Sleepyhead. The download indicated that it is a prerelease version v0.9.8-1 (testing) and may have some bugs. Sleepyhead shows data from 14 months before I got the machine.

My question is: Could this be a bug or an artifact created with the data file, or did my DME provider give me a used machine and bill my insurance for a new one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP may not be new
(02-11-2015, 03:57 PM)SleepyInReno Wrote: Hi,

I have been on CPAP for over 15 years and I just discovered this forum while searching for a user manual for my old machine.

I got a new(?) machine on Dec 31st and I noticed after a couple of days that it showed 11 days and about 150 hours more than I actually had the machine.

Fast forward to today. I downloaded and installed Sleepyhead. The download indicated that it is a prerelease version v0.9.8-1 (testing) and may have some bugs. Sleepyhead shows data from 14 months before I got the machine.

My question is: Could this be a bug or an artifact created with the data file, or did my DME provider give me a used machine and bill my insurance for a new one?

Ray
Maybe just a used SD CardThinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
SleppyInReno,
It sounds like your DME did the same thing to you as they did to me, except they might have left a used SD card in your machine, or didn't erase or reset prior machine hours.

I found out my machine was used after I had the clinical manual.
The setup menu showed that the machine already had 300+ blower hours on it. Blower hours can not be erased, but hours from a prior user can be erased.
Your Sleepyhead version is probably just fine. Take the machine back and ask for a "new" one.
Don't know if your insurance is paying monthly rental, but either way, you have a right to ask for new. Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyInReno,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would take it back to the DME, it sounds like you got a “used” machine.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 04:09 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:
(02-11-2015, 03:57 PM)SleepyInReno Wrote: Hi,

Ray
Maybe just a used SD CardThinking-about

Ray, the Airsense 10 was only recently released, so the data was unlikely to have come from that machine. Every machine has an ID and you might want to look closely at that older data and see what machine it came off of.

In the clinical settings (you have the manual), you can see therapy hours and total blower hours, which are non-resettable. If there is a big discrepancy, the machine may have been a returned unit. When working with DMEs they get a certain number of machines back due to a patient being non compliant, or the therapy being incompatible. They don't throw those away, and as far as I know, they don't represent they will deliver a new, never-used machine, although that is what we assume.

A few more reasons, I will never again use a DME to buy equipment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Might have been one of those issued to someone who did not pass compliance... If that DME does such. My DME made me sign a thing that said I have to pay full price if I don't comply and Insurance didn't pay.... $1900 for a Resmed S9. Done in a room with a half dozen apnea victims taking a 2 hour cpap "class" all together.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
And in case you do successfully return the Remstar 460, try to get a Remstar 560 (full data capable APAP). The DME gets paid the same amount of money from the insurance for 460 or 560. You may need to get your prescription changed for an APAP.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyInReno,
How about taking the serial number from the Remstar and calling the manufacturer customer service . Don't think they're wild about used machines being passed as new? Tell them about blower hrs and data . Then go back to DME with info in your back pocket so they don't try to pull the wool over you.
All th best,
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been a few years and a couple of machines since I've posted.  The machine was indeed used.  They weren't happy, but they replaced it with a new one and I never went back there.

I used that one for 5 years and got a Dreamstation just about a year ago.  

I've put the Dreamstation on the shelf because of the recall and I've ordered a Resmed Airsense Auto.  I had to pay out of pocket as Pulmonary Solutions will not take the machine back.  They told me I have to wait for Philips to fix it.

In the mean time, I have gone back to my 14 year old Series M with over 17,000 hours on it as it is not on the recall.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.