Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP, new thread
RE: New CPAP, new thread
Sleep doc's reply to my question about palatal prolapse.

Doc:

Greetings

I have not encountered this condition in my practice.  
I do know a very competent otolaryngologist who can help though,
I can make a referral if you want.

H

Me:

Thank you, Dr. A. I will ask for the referral
when I know more.

Best,

Harv
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Awakened an hour early by intensely loud tinnitus.
Has influenced how I feel: not great.

Graphs for 3/21:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI looks better at these recent settings but to me your breathing looks worse with more restriction and more palatal prolapse. In that hour of data you posted from last night half of it has palatal prolapse/restriction.

It doesn't surprise me that your doctor hasn't heard that term before as they don't usually look at this level of detail in data and this isn't that common of a condition. Without a doubt he is aware of palate restriction which is why he offered an ENT referral.

From adjusting these settings we appear to have figured out that you have less obstructive apnea with pressures over 10 cm. EPR doesn't seem to have a big difference but maybe contributed to central apnea a couple nights, I would say either 1 or 2 is probably the best EPR setting.

I want to try APAP mode again now to see if the varying pressure helps combat varying levels of restriction. I am thinking min 10, max 16, EPR 2. This is almost identical to what you used back in February (8-16 and 11-16) when AHI was its lowest so hopefully we will see similar results again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you notice that he didn’t answer one question. He just said he hadn’t seen a patient with it in his practice. A search would have told him the other names for the condition. But yeah, it’s way below the level of detail he’s concerned with. 

Will try those settings tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
He did offer an ENT referral to see if anatomy is an issue, most would have thought you were crazy.

I assume if the ENT agreed palate causes restricted that the options would be the same we already discussed (UPPP or a stent).

I only have a couple more tests I have been thinking about. If you feel more progress is required then you might have to look into other options like these.
Post Reply Post Reply
If by “more progress” you mean a consistently good 
night’s sleep, then yes, I’d like more progress. 

It sounds like you don’t have many more tests to try. 

Talking to Medicare about paying for surgery or a stent
should be a very interesting experience.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's 3/22 chart. Lots of leaks, but none called Large.
Expiratory pressure mirrors inspiratory, but always below it,
again evidence of palatal prolapse.

Any expansions you'd like to see?

Feel okay, but not really sharp.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of palate prolapse in that data and it translates into low minute ventilation (4.5 compared to previous high of 7) and low tidal volume (280 compared to previous high of 400).

Try this for one more night to see if ahi stays the same and then try a night without the mouth tape. We have been using similar settings as back in Feb but ahi has been higher since we improved leaks with mouth tape. I don't think the mouth tape is creating a problem but I would like to confirm it is the reason ahi has been higher. What I believe happens is that you have the same restriction/obstruction regardless of tape but when you don't have tape open/breath out mouth and apnea don't end up getting scored (mouth opening may even be allowing the palate prolapse to fix itself).
Post Reply Post Reply
The idea that mouth breathing may fix the palatal prolapse
is intriguing.

Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't fix it per say and the bigger issue with palatal prolapse is the initial close rather than being reopened in a shorter time frame. If your mouth is taped and you are trying to exhale the exhalation pressure has to overcome cpap pressure. If your mouth is not taped and you open mouth when exhaling then you exhale against atmosphere while the CPAP pressure blows on closed palate. So with mouth tape pressure is roughly equal on both sides of palate(actually slightly higher inside mouht) whereas without mouth tape pressure is only on the CPAP side which helps push the palate back open.

Your data prior to mouth tape showed signs of palatal prolapse as well, I am just trying to understand why AHI is higher with mouth tape and this is the only plausible theory I can come up with. Only other theory is that something changed positionally allowing apnea to occur now that didn't occur before.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 40 1,195 Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MaggieL
  LongDaysPleasantNights' Therapy Thread LongDaysPleasantNights 4 117 04-21-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 31 1,443 04-20-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 362,171 04-18-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 750 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 859 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,431 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.