Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP, new thread
RE: New CPAP, new thread
[quote='Geer1' pid='435905' dateline='1645245432']
If your doctor asks why you are making changes you can test him by saying your data shows periods of low flow rate coinciding with mouth breathing and leaks. You are trying higher pressure to see if it improves that breathing or makes it worse. If there is improvement you will stick with the higher pressure, if not will be returning to the current settings.

His response to that claim would be interesting as I doubt most doctors would ever look at that level of detail and many may not even realize it exists let alone is viewable by a user.

He may well respond with “How do you know that?” or “How can you see the data?”

So far, OSCAR and the forum are invisible. Those questions may change that.

“Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.”

— The Wizard of Oz
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's last night' chart. Large leaks seems to confirm mouth breathing, as we expected.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Looked a little more uniform but as you noted more/larger leaks as the higher pressure creates more flow when your mouth opens.

Stick with this for a while and maybe we will see leaks start to improve. If not will have to start taking more steps to control the leaks/mouth breathing as that is your biggest issue now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi geer1,

I wrote the sleep doc that we’d try this for about a week.

He likes hybrid masks. Too bad my DME doesn’t carry them.
If we can’t improve the leaks without using stuff like tape
or a chin strap to keep my mouth closed (don’t want to
deal with those every night), I’ll check with online DMEs.
I saw a few that carry ResMed’s Liberty mask. It’s about
the only one around that I saw. Maybe other mask makers
have something to look at.

Best,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
The F30 mask would probably be most similar to your current N30. I like the F20 better but I couldn't get N20 or F30 to seal well on my nose (F20 over the nose just works better for me).

Although it is possible settings (higher pressure or EPR) may stop or reduce your mouth breathing the reality is that your data shows mouth breathing since the beginning and you will probably need to do something to either stop or allow it (FFM, tape, chin strap etc). Just have to play around and see which method works best for you as everyone has different preferences.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's last night: two of the same data,with the left side scrolled
so it's all visible. Got to bed at 1 AM. Got up around 7:30. Why
the huge gap? We should probably ignore this night's data. I'll
try to keep better hours.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Concerning the large time gap, I'm laying my money on the probability that you have Smart Start turned on.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2022, 11:03 AM)midwestguy Wrote: Why the huge gap? ....

Did you happen to take a nap in the afternoon?  From 12:30 to ~2:30pm.....

Try unticking that checkbox and see it it displays better for you.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it appears that the gap is because you had a nap earlier in the day. The machine records each day starting at noon. I see you do have smart start on again (and my understanding is that smart stop is a separate feature now) although I don't see any obvious instances of machine turning off.

Looks like the beginning of your night was pretty good till around 4 and then you started having leak issues. Any chance you changed something ~4?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2022, 11:21 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Concerning the large time gap, I'm laying my money on the probability that you have Smart Start turned on.

Yes, I do. Is it never sensing the start of my breathing? It worked fine before.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 30 1,383 1 hour ago
Last Post: yrnkrn
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,885 04-18-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,078 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 621 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 827 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,384 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,785 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.