Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP, new thread
RE: New CPAP, new thread
Went to the bathroom.

I'm in the habit of taking the mask off rather than disconnecting it.
Maybe the new fit isn't as good as the old one.
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
geer1,

A sleep doc's nurse wrote, "The physician usually adjusts the pressure."
So we're seeing maybe a little push-back already.
I swiped part of your suggested response and will send this:

Dr. Xxxxx,

I correspond with a group of knowledgeable CPAP users. Their
informed suggestions have been valuable to many others.

My data shows periods of low flow rate coinciding with mouth breathing and leaks.
I am trying higher pressure to see if it improves that breathing or makes it worse.
If there is improvement, I will stay with the higher pressure. If not, I will return to
the current settings.

I am confident that our cooperative efforts will improve the quality of my sleep.

Best,

Xxxxxx  

Anything you would change?

Harv

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2022, 11:37 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: Did you happen to take a nap in the afternoon?  From 12:30 to ~2:30pm.....

Try unticking that checkbox and see it it displays better for you.

I think I did. Removing the tick didn't change any graphs.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2022, 11:21 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Concerning the large time gap, I'm laying my money on the probability that you have Smart Start turned on.

Thought I replied to your post, Red.

Anyway, If SmartStart isn't reliable, I'll go back to pushing the button.

Thanks,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
I would turn off the smart start to eliminate a variable. The power switch was my way to guarantee the PAP turns on and off when I want it to.

As for the doc and controlling pressures, it's your choice how to handle it, but I did the edit first then told the doc later why I did it. It's your therapy, own the settings.

You know pretty quickly when an edit works or not. You can then reset it if it's gone wrong. Reliance on doc means another appointment probably and several days at minimum to edit something you can do in seconds.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually side against smart start/stop but so far do not believe it has caused issues with this machine. Use it if you want but if you start seeing unexplained periods where the machine was shut off then know it is the reason.

As for docs the main thing is if you adjust settings they won't want to take responsibility for your therapy (rightfully so as you have taken it into your own hands). Their response saying the physician "usually" adjusts the pressure isn't much push back and I wouldn't worry about it. Your response is reasonable and could change first part if desired to indicate the help already received and why you trust us.

I correspond with a group of knowledgeable CPAP users. They helped me diagnose that my previous machine was not working properly and now they are helping me do a couple tests to fine tune titration.
Post Reply Post Reply
geer1,

Here's the result from Sun., Feb. 21. I slept from 10 PM to 7:30 AM.

Two conclusions:

1. SmartStart still isn't smart enough, or my breathing isn't strong enough.
   Back to pushing the button.

2. Stop pulling the mask off, disconnect as intended.

Best,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
That image only has what I assume was part of your afternoon nap. You may have to purge that data and upload again to get the full results (go to that day, click data tab at top, advanced, purge current selected day) then go back to welcome and reupload.

This happens when you already have data uploaded for a day. What likely happened is you uploaded yesterdays data after this nap so this data was already uploaded and OSCAR didn't add more data to this day because the session already existed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2022, 04:59 PM)Geer1 Wrote: That image only has what I assume was part of your afternoon nap. You may have to purge that data and upload again to get the full results (go to that day, click data tab at top, advanced, purge current selected day) then go back to welcome and reupload.

This happens when you already have data uploaded for a day. What likely happened is you uploaded yesterdays data after this nap so this data was already uploaded and OSCAR didn't add more data to this day because the session already existed.

I'll fix that later and re-post.

Meanwhile, my doc looks like another AHI-only watcher.

First reply:

The data looks great
No need to change anything
Best
H

After reading the long text:

OK
Let me know if you need any help
Best
H

So, not only no objections, but no possibly embarrassing questions!
(We, forum members and Yours Truly, do the leg work. He gets the
glory. I'm okay with that.)

Best,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2022, 12:46 PM)Geer1 Wrote: As for docs the main thing is if you adjust settings they won't want to take responsibility for your therapy (rightfully so as you have taken it into your own hands). Their response saying the physician "usually" adjusts the pressure isn't much push back and I wouldn't worry about it. Your response is reasonable and could change first part if desired to indicate the help already received and why you trust us.

I correspond with a group of knowledgeable CPAP users. They helped me diagnose that my previous machine was not working properly and now they are helping me do a couple tests to fine tune titration.

I would point out that the doc/dme/etc. have already completely failed to take responsibility for MWG's therapy.

The first machine that they dispensed to him had a broken sensor, and reported baldfaced lies (zero leaks) about what happened while MWG was asleep. AND the machine's algorithm became so hopelessly confused by MWG's mouth breathing that it repeatedly shut itself off while MWG was asleep and helpless to defend himself. Then it used its modem to communicate with the ResMed cloud every day and it did not report any of these catastrophic failures that it had recorded itself doing. (When the machine shuts itself off and then turns itself back on and comes on at the pressure that it was at when it shut off rather than the minimum pressure, it's because the algorithm KNOWS that it shouldn't have turned off.)

As cpap patients, we are in a state where we have one manufacturer who engineered machines with foam that disintegrated and spewed particles into patients lungs, and another manufacturer who engineered machines that are programmed to omit reporting failures to deliver the prescribed therapy. And what we have learned about sleep medicine is that it is a very rare health care professional who seems to give a rat's *** about whether these machines that they prescribe are doing what they are supposed to or not.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,064 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 541 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 815 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,237 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,363 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,764 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 11 271 04-06-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.