Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP, new thread
RE: New CPAP, new thread
He did change doctors though so can't pin previous failings on the new doctor. Hard to even blame the old doctor/DME since they don't look at this level of detail. Just goes to show how important it is to be able to access and interpret this information to get ideal treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2022, 12:08 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I would turn off the smart start to eliminate a variable. The power switch was my way to guarantee the PAP turns on and off when I want it to.

As for the doc and controlling pressures, it's your choice how to handle it, but I did the edit first then told the doc later why I did it. It's your therapy, own the settings.

You know pretty quickly when an edit works or not. You can then reset it if it's gone wrong. Reliance on doc means another appointment probably and several days at minimum to edit something you can do in seconds.

Dave,

Smart Start and Stop are off. It's the button from here on.

I did change the min. pressure setting before sending the new doc my long note.
He pretty much said, "do what you like," so I really own the settings. It's my sleep.

Harv
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2022, 04:59 PM)Geer1 Wrote: That image only has what I assume was part of your afternoon nap. You may have to purge that data and upload again to get the full results (go to that day, click data tab at top, advanced, purge current selected day) then go back to welcome and reupload.

This happens when you already have data uploaded for a day. What likely happened is you uploaded yesterdays data after this nap so this data was already uploaded and OSCAR didn't add more data to this day because the session already existed.

Dunno what happened on that nap day. I purged and uploaded that day twice; got the same little short session. Maybe that's all that's there. ????

Anyway, here's 2/22 data. The two gaps around 3:30 and 5:30, are bathroom visits.
It's interesting that things go haywire around 6 AM.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Offhand, I would say your current mask isn't the one for you. If you have insurance and can experiment, try the various F&P masks. If you like pillow style, try the Brevida. Again, if you are a mouth breather, try the Vitera full face mask. The F&P masks seem to have a more forgiving seal design.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2022, 12:37 AM)cathyf Wrote: I would point out that the doc/dme/etc. have already completely failed to take responsibility for MWG's therapy.

The first machine that they dispensed to him had a broken sensor, and reported baldfaced lies (zero leaks) about what happened while MWG was asleep. AND the machine's algorithm became so hopelessly confused by MWG's mouth breathing that it repeatedly shut itself off while MWG was asleep and helpless to defend himself. Then it used its modem to communicate with the ResMed cloud every day and it did not report any of these catastrophic failures that it had recorded itself doing. (When the machine shuts itself off and then turns itself back on and comes on at the pressure that it was at when it shut off rather than the minimum pressure, it's because the algorithm KNOWS that it shouldn't have turned off.)

As cpap patients, we are in a state where we have one manufacturer who engineered machines with foam that disintegrated and spewed particles into patients lungs, and another manufacturer who engineered machines that are programmed to omit reporting failures to deliver the prescribed therapy. And what we have learned about sleep medicine is that it is a very rare health care professional who seems to give a rat's *** about whether these machines that they prescribe are doing what they are supposed to or not.

cathyf Thanks for your biting review of my past situation and of the current landscape. Unfortunately, it's all true.

The last thing I want to do is defend the gang behind my therapy. but there's an old saying about not attributing
actions to malice that are in fact due to ignorance. We've seen enough examples of DMEs passing used machines off as
new, screwing up simple orders, and sleep docs looking no further than the sacred AHI and compliance numbers. So let's not leave
greed out of the equation. The engineers don't arbitrarily make their own design decisions.They are dictated from above.

All that being said, I'm in an extraordinary position. I likely have a new ResMed A11. It seems to be working properly. My new sleep doc has given me a blank check to change whatever the group wisdom thinks is appropriate. He's said he'll write me an Rx for whatever I need. How amazing is that?

This guy may be the exception to all the horror stories. I certainly hope so. We will see.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2022, 04:31 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Offhand, I would say your current mask isn't the one for you.   If you have insurance and can experiment, try the various F&P masks.  If you like pillow style, try the Brevida. Again, if you are a mouth breather, try the Vitera full face mask.  The F&P masks seem to have a more forgiving seal design.

I agree with you, Red. Mouth breathing defeats it.

I really like the idea of a hybrid mask, but the two I've seen so far get terrible reviews.
The ResMed Liberty and one other seem to be it. So maybe a full-face. After reading
the journey through mask hell that one person went through, I'm not eager to start mine.
Will consider your suggestions. I welcome any other suggestions.

Best,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
Currently, the Resmed F30 and F30i are the 2 hybrids I'm aware of. F&P has one that is currently being marketed in Australia. I'm sure you have seen the threads here of members waiting for it to hit the North American shores.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So far I am torn about the higher pressure. Your flow rates look better but definitely more leaks. I think you need to gain control of leaks before we can draw a clear conclusion on pressure.

The reason your leaks probably get worse later in the morning is that is when more rem sleep is occurring. The partial sleep paralysis during rem means chin falls down and mouth open more easily.

If you are hesitant to try new masks you should try mouth taping or a chin strap.

For trying a full face or hybrid mask there are three models I can think of worth considering. The F20 and F30 are probably the two most commonly used FFMs now.

Resmed F30: Some consider this a FFM, some a hybrid mask depends what definition you go by (I think Resmed calls it a FFM now but definitely used to call it hybrid). It is a decent mask but some people (myself included) have trouble getting it to seal around their nose. The nose seal is similar to your N30 so if that works and is comfortable for you then I imagine the F30 should as well. Has quietair elbow which greatly reduces venting air and noise.

Resmed F20: I really like this mask and for me it seals almost perfectly. Has a quietair elbow as well. Seals over top of nose instead of at the base which I believe is a design that will seal more easily but some people do have trouble getting it to seal around top of their nose (just like some people have trouble with the F30).

F&P Vitera: Regularly recommended on here, I haven't tried it. Seems that some people that have trouble getting F20 to seal have luck with this mask. The forehead strap seams strange to me but like I say I haven't tried it.

Realistically trying any of these masks is going to tell you if a FFM is right for you and then picking the best one is just fine tuning after that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2022, 10:35 PM)Geer1 Wrote: So far I am torn about the higher pressure. Your flow rates look better but definitely more leaks. I think you need to gain control of leaks before we can draw a clear conclusion on pressure.

The reason your leaks probably get worse later in the morning is that is when more rem sleep is occurring. The partial sleep paralysis during rem means chin falls down and mouth open more easily.

If you are hesitant to try new masks you should try mouth taping or a chin strap.

For trying a full face or hybrid mask there are three models I can think of worth considering. The F20 and F30 are probably the two most commonly used FFMs now.

Resmed F30: Some consider this a FFM, some a hybrid mask depends what definition you go by (I think Resmed calls it a FFM now but definitely used to call it hybrid). It is a decent mask but some people (myself included) have trouble getting it to seal around their nose. The nose seal is similar to your N30 so if that works and is comfortable for you then I imagine the F30 should as well. Has quietair elbow which greatly reduces venting air and noise.

Resmed F20: I really like this mask and for me it seals almost perfectly. Has a quietair elbow as well. Seals over top of nose instead of at the base which I believe is a design that will seal more easily but some people do have trouble getting it to seal around top of their nose (just like some people have trouble with the F30).  

F&P Vitera: Regularly recommended on here, I haven't tried it. Seems that some people that have trouble getting F20 to seal have luck with this mask. The forehead strap seams strange to me but like I say I haven't tried it.

Realistically trying any of these masks is going to tell you if a FFM is right for you and then picking the best one is just fine tuning after that.

Update:

I'm collecting data on the FFMs that Supplier 1 sells, and getting opinions from here and elsewhere. Repeats of issues (for example, F30i leaks) will give a feel for trends. If insurance won't pay, it's out of pocket, since waiting almost 3 months is just too long. The Medicare clock reset when I got the A11.  The fitting templates in the Mask Primer will help to pick a size -- if they're available for a given mask.

So I'm trundling along. When a new mask arrives, I'll start posting graphs.

Best,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2022, 05:13 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Currently, the Resmed F30 and F30i are the 2 hybrids I'm aware of.  F&P has one that is currently being marketed in Australia.   I'm sure you have seen the threads here of members waiting for it to hit the North American shores.

The Amara View -- which I used from 2016-2018 -- is pretty similar to the F30, and the Dreamwear FFM -- which I used from 2018-2020 -- is pretty similar to the F30i. The problem with both of these PR masks is that they don't have lots of padding, so they are pretty unforgiving as far as fit goes. If you happen to have the perfect size/shape face for one of these cushion in one of these sizes, then that one will work great. Otherwise, fiasco. :-)

The only way to find out is to test them on your face.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,588 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 538 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 5 234 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.