Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP, new thread
RE: New CPAP, new thread
Look at the last image I posted and the notes about it. In short the higher amplitude smooth looking flow rate = good, everything else is questionable. You should be able to see that difference just from looking at the overview and after a while you can easily tell if a night looks good or not.

Unfortunately in your case you only occasionally have good looking flow rates (~20% of that night as an example), this is what I have been trying to improve. It also goes to show that AHI isn't everything because your AHI that night wasn't bad although breathing wasn't that great. Heck you had about 1 hour of breathing with the machine off (the breaks in data) where you must have been mouth breathing without treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2022, 09:59 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Look at the last image I posted and the notes about it. In short the higher amplitude smooth looking flow rate = good, everything else is questionable. You should be able to see that difference just from looking at the overview and after a while you can easily tell if a night looks good or not.  

Unfortunately in your case you only occasionally have good looking flow rates (~20% of that night as an example), this is what I have been trying to improve. It also goes to show that AHI isn't everything because your AHI that night wasn't bad although breathing wasn't that great. Heck you had about 1 hour of breathing with the machine off (the breaks in data) where you must have been mouth breathing without treatment.

Sorry, I can’t tell in the overall view what’s good and what isn’t.
I don’t see how you can tell without trial-and-error expansion of 
a section of the flow rate. You and Sleeprider and Dave have the
knack.

I’m spending tonight without the wedge, keeping everything else 
constant. We’ll see once and for all if it has an effect or not.
I’ll load up on antacids to prevent any damage. Hope this isn’t 
a mistake. I’ve been wrong before…

Best,

Harv
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Heck you had about 1 hour of breathing with the machine off (the breaks in data) where you must have been mouth breathing without treatment.

Those breaks are bathroom visits. Edema. Water pill. Machine is off.

Sleep-well  I hope to.

Best,

Harv

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is an enlarged version with some lines added.

The red line is 0 flow rate. Any flow rate lines above this are your inhalations, any flow rate lines below this are your exhalations.

The top blue line is your good inhale flow rate (taken from first hour of data). The bottom blue line is your good exhale flow rate.

Ideally your entire night would show consistent flow rates filling the area between the blue lines like it does for the first hour (21:40 to 22:40).

Your next best period is 0:00 to 0:20 where your exhalation is good and exhalation is only slightly below the blue line.

The mouth breathing example I shared earlier is at 23:00 where you can see almost no exhalation is present. 

After ~ 1:10 your breathing degrades and both inhalation and exhalation are about half the amplitude of what your good breathing was. These are the restricted breathing examples.  

At 3:20 you can see the graph is intermitted because your breathing is oscillating from good to poor. This is because your airway is closing and then body is fighting harder to open it back up and take deeper breaths, then body relaxes and restriction sets back in. 

And here is an example of one of my nights to compare to. See how my breathing is much more uniform through the night? That is what you are attempting to achieve, good consistent breathing throughout the night.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2022, 11:47 PM)midwestguy Wrote: Those breaks are bathroom visits. Edema. Water pill. Machine is off.

Sleep-well  I hope to.

Best,

Harv

There were 16 breaks in the data that night, I sure hope those weren't all bathroom visits. If so maybe you need a catheter and bedside bag  Wink

Some of them were breaks, some were caused by smart start shutting machine off because your breath amplitude was small and some were due to the problem with your old machine randomly turning off. Not an issue anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2022, 12:04 AM)Geer Wrote: There were 16 breaks in the data that night, I sure hope those weren't all bathroom visits. If so maybe you need a catheter and bedside bag  Wink

Some of them were breaks, some were caused by smart start shutting machine off because your breath amplitude was small and some were due to the problem with your old machine randomly turning off. Not an issue anymore.
How can you see last night's results? Huh

I haven't looked at them yet.But last night was a bad time to try sleeping flat.
First, I had way too much caffeine. I was awake for most of the night, even
though the machine was running.

SmartStart is off and will stay off.

Second, there was a major thunderstorm here between 10:30 and 11:45.
No obvious equipment damage, but the CPAP lit up a few times when
lightning struck nearby. Dunno what effect that had on the data.

I'm writing it off.

Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, here's last night's data.

Post Reply Post Reply
What I posted was from your old data, not last night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay.  No magic.

Here's my Hail Mary desperation nap. I was in bed for about an hour and a half.

The usual collar, no wedge under head, mouth taped: Micropore under regular
3M Blue painter's tape. A very good seal.

I feel pretty good after that shortie.

Just eyeballing the numbers, it worked pretty well. Will try tonight with wedge
back under my head.

Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to reset minimum session length. So last night's data
starts at 23:00 (10PM).

The one sample I stretched out (2nd post) looks like the ideal
waveform you posted earlier.

At first of two bathroom breaks, the tape had loosened under
my nose. Looked like sweat, not drool. Wiped dry and replaced
the tape.

Will continue with tape and wedge under head.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,061 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,200 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,577 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 532 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 5 231 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.