Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP, new thread
RE: New CPAP, new thread
So this was back to normal setup with wedge, nasal mask etc. Only difference that you tried tape?

The portion you posted is decent, if you look at 2:30 to 3:30 will see it is all restricted.

Biggest issue is the positional apnea that is occurring. If I had to guess most of your restriction is positional, the trick is finding a way to resolve it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2022, 01:04 PM)Geer1 Wrote: So this was back to normal setup with wedge, nasal mask etc. Only difference that you tried tape?

The portion you posted is decent, if you look at 2:30 to 3:30 will see it is all restricted.

Biggest issue is the positional apnea that is occurring. If I had to guess most of your restriction is positional, the trick is finding a way to resolve it.
There is some research that points to side-sleeping as a fix for 
positional apnea. Will continue looking at this.

Other than the collar, are there other possible solutions?
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
There are two kinds of positional apnea.

There is positional apnea related to sleep position (supine, side etc). This is what modern medicine (doctors) would consider positional apnea.

The other positional apnea is the one we have been discussing and is related to position of airway. To my knowledge this terminology is used almost exclusively on forums like this one and I don't know who decided to call this positional apnea. If you went and told doctor you had positional apnea they probably wouldn't know this is what you meant.

Stuff like side sleeping would primarily affect the first kind but potentially could influence the second kind as well. Cervical collar is the go to and it seems to work for most patients but can take fiddling trying different sizes of collars and getting the fit right. Using a single thin pillow is the next most common recommendation, a lot of patients that show this type of apnea often are sleeping on a couple pillows or really thick ones. I don't know of any other recommendations other than to play with collars and pillows to adjust your airway position until you find what works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something about this doesn’t seem right.

We’re talking about ways the airway gets 
restricted and how to open it up. Okay.

If I’m on my back, on a wedge, isn’t that already
tipping my head forward and narrowing my airway? 
What does a thin pillow under my head do but tip it 
forward more?

The collar I use seems to restrict bending my 
head forward. But it’s soft, so maybe it’s not
doing the job.

The tape stops mouth breathing until it works
loose.

I am very confused. And very tired.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
A wedge pillow only affects your upper airway position if you are sleeping at the base of the wedge. If you are sleeping far enough up the wedge then your upper airway is effectively sleeping on a flat surface. Perhaps this image showing the different neck positions will make this clearer.

A cervical collar does two things. One it helps keep your neck in a straight position. The other is that it holds chin position up and forward. Both of these actions prevent chin tucking and airway restriction. 

Pillows are primarily used to support spine and provide comfort. I assumed you used some sort of pillow on top of your wedge pillow but perhaps not. You are correct that using a pillow can cause your head to tilt forward especially if you sleep low on the pillow (like wedge pillow example), the pillow is too thick, or you use multiple pillows. 

If you currently do not use a pillow (other than wedge pillow) then it might be worth trying one to see if it has any effect. You could try a thin pillow or something like a folded towel and see if it adds any comfort or has effects on your data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's last night. Mouth taped, no pillow on the wedge,
head as far up on the wedge as possible.

I think the collar is too soft.

The night starts out fine. After the one bathroom break,
my head tilts, and the collar doesn't keep it from happening.

Will look for a stiffer collar.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey geer1,

There are hard plastic rigid collars. They might be very hot in the summer, but they’d 
sure keep my neck straight. 

Haven’t looked on the forum yet to see if anyone’s used one. 

Do you know?

Thanks,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know, we strongly advise against them.  Only use the soft collars.  We are using them to help in preventing chin tucking and not for therapeutic use.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2022, 02:56 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: As far as I know, we strongly advise against them.  Only use the soft collars.  We are using them to help in preventing chin tucking and not for therapeutic use.
Hi Red,

You misunderstand. If a soft collar allows my chin to move toward my chest, it’s too soft. A rigid collar would seem to work better. 

This is therapeutic only in the sense that it’s preventing positional apnea. 

Best,

Harv

Post Reply Post Reply
I personally have used one but because I fractured my neck last fall. I was able to notice a difference in my data even though I don't have significant positional issues. That said it was not comfortable and the support could cause issues by reducing muscle tone (which I am now in physio to regain).

You mentioned head rolling. That could the problem and using pillows or towels etc to support and hold head/neck in position might help. If sleeping with head on top of pillow raises it up too much you can try tucking a little pillow on each side so back of neck rests on wedge pillow and side pillows just keep head from rotating. That is pretty much how I slept when I had to wear the hard collar as sleeping with it on top of a regular pillow was uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,219 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,590 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 542 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyLlama therapy thread SleepyLlama 5 237 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.