Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP setup problems (S10 and Dreamwear Full Face Mask)
New CPAP setup problems (S10 and Dreamwear Full Face Mask)
I'm trying to adjust to my new CPAP system. I had a home sleep study in 2013 and was prescribed a ResMed S9 Autosense and F&P Forma Full Face Mask. The DME did the inital setup in my home but I needed more adjustments. Thankfully I found the Apnea Board and got the mask adjusted with minimal leaks. Everything went along relatively OK with minor mask irritation on the bridge of my nose. Then in 2019. I started having mask fit problems and just couldn't seem to adjust my way out of it. My family Doc suggested a new sleep study at a sleep lab. Well, the pandemic got in the way but I finally  had the study done a month ago. A new system was prescribed and I picked it up last week. The DME ran through the operation but was not allowed to actually fit the mask - I was given the home do-it-yourself kit.
I have spent so much time trying to minimize mask leaks that I can't really get to the point of analyzing my data.
I've posted 2 sets of data, the first was after 2 days of a relatively easy mask adjustments. I was very pleased with the low leaks and figured I was almost there. But as more time passed I started having fit issues with the Dreamwear FFM. As you know it fits under the nose and covers the mouth. There are two protrusions on the mask that touch my face on either side of my nostrils and have started causing red irritations. I tried various adjustments but can't seem to make it loose enough to not make contact but also provide a good seal.
I'm hoping you folks might look at my data and make some suggestions. I'm in favor of another full face mask but not sure which make and model to try.
Also have an OSCAR 1.2.0 question. How do I get only the top 6 charts in my attachments. I do VIEW RESET GRAPHS STANDARD but still get all the other graphs.
Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP setup problems (S10 and Dreamwear Full Face Mask)
(08-13-2021, 12:22 AM)blackw Wrote:  But as more time passed I started having fit issues with the Dreamwear FFM. As you know it fits under the nose and covers the mouth. There are two protrusions on the mask that touch my face on either side of my nostrils and have started causing red irritations. I tried various adjustments but can't seem to make it loose enough to not make contact but also provide a good seal.

I can't help with your screenshot or data, but I'm familiar with the annoying Dreamwear FFM protusions you mentioned.  What size are you using? A larger size might be more comfortable.  The Medium-Wide has a shallower curve without the uncomfortable pointy protrusions on the sides.  Much more comfortable if it isn't too large for you.  (Also, Airfit F30i is a very very similar mask and does not have those protrusions.)  Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Based on the screen shot 

You min pressure is too low with an EPR of 3.  Most adults need at least a min pressure of 7.

You are also up against your max pressure you can see it in the pressure graph the wave form is all up on the ceiling.. set you max pressure to 14.

The other thing could be positional apnea its where you tuck your chin or have very high pillow.  Which cause you to cut off your own air way.  We will need others to confirm.

Also the goal is always no ramp.  So either cut that off or make the ramp pressure like 6 and time like 15min then take it down to like 10min then 5 > off.

For the mask read the Mask Primer on the wiki.  With masks it a real trial and error thing.   You could try a resmed F30i or a dreamwear full face.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed's primary full face mask is the F20. It comes in two varieties; the AirFit is the basic one with a silicon lining against your face. The AirTouch has a soft foam that seems to seal better to my face, but is a hassle to clean and is more likely to wear out sooner. They also have an F30 which I think is the same under-the-nose design as the Dreamwear, not sure about whether it has the same problem about things that poke out. There's two varieties; the F30 has the hose coming out the front of the mask like the F20. The F30i uses a headset with tubes so the hose connects to the top of your head.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board,

I'm seeing very high leaks, enough that you're barely getting therapy, if at all. I don't know if you've looked up Fisher and Paykel masks, but you may want to window shop a bit.

And agreed, your pressure of 6 isn't allowing EPR 3 to work its fullest. And you do need higher pressure than 10.

Ramp is taking therapy time away as well, maybe adding to your disruptions. The Ramp of 4 for 20 minutes should change, at least bump the pressure to 6 or 7. It does appear to be on an Auto function, but again the pressure isn't right. That abrupt transition is probably a small issue compared to the other complications of pressure and leaks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2021, 01:50 PM)plakky Wrote: I can't help with your screenshot or data, but I'm familiar with the annoying Dreamwear FFM protusions you mentioned.  What size are you using? A larger size might be more comfortable.  The Medium-Wide has a shallower curve without the uncomfortable pointy protrusions on the sides.  Much more comfortable if it isn't too large for you.  (Also, Airfit F30i is a very very similar mask and does not have those protrusions.)  Good luck!

Thanks for replying. I have the home do-it-yourself kit that includes all four sizes. I'm using the L now since my preliminary fit pointed to that size. The MW will be my next test drive.
I'll give the Airfit F30i a try also. I guess most folks have a toy box of various masks.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2021, 02:16 PM)factor Wrote: Welcome

Based on the screen shot 

You min pressure is too low with an EPR of 3.  Most adults need at least a min pressure of 7.

You are also up against your max pressure you can see it in the pressure graph the wave form is all up on the ceiling.. set you max pressure to 14.

The other thing could be positional apnea its where you tuck your chin or have very high pillow.  Which cause you to cut off your own air way.  We will need others to confirm.

Also the goal is always no ramp.  So either cut that off or make the ramp pressure like 6 and time like 15min then take it down to like 10min then 5 > off.

For the mask read the Mask Primer on the wiki.  With masks it a real trial and error thing.   You could try a resmed F30i or a dreamwear full face.
Thanks for the reply. Your suggestions make sense.
I set ramp = OFF, min pressure = 7, max pressure = 14. I'll post results tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure that I tuck my chin once I go to sleep. I typically don't use a pillow if sleeping on my back, but use a small pillow if on my side (preferred position).
Stay tuned.

(08-13-2021, 04:24 PM)NelsonM Wrote: ResMed's primary full face mask is the F20. It comes in two varieties; the AirFit is the basic one with a silicon lining against your face. The AirTouch has a soft foam that seems to seal better to my face, but is a hassle to clean and is more likely to wear out sooner. They also have an F30 which I think is the same under-the-nose design as the Dreamwear, not sure about whether it has the same problem about things that poke out. There's two varieties; the F30 has the hose coming out the front of the mask like the F20. The F30i uses a headset with tubes so the hose connects to the top of your head.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your comments. I'll give the F30i a try and report back. I suspect I'll have a box of masks before long.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2021, 10:38 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Welcome to Apnea Board,

I'm seeing very high leaks, enough that you're barely getting therapy, if at all. I don't know if you've looked up Fisher and Paykel masks, but you may want to window shop a bit.

And agreed, your pressure of 6 isn't allowing EPR 3 to work its fullest. And you do need higher pressure than 10.

Ramp is taking therapy time away as well, maybe adding to your disruptions. The Ramp of 4 for 20 minutes should change, at least bump the pressure to 6 or 7. It does appear to be on an Auto function, but again the pressure isn't right. That abrupt transition is probably a small issue compared to the other complications of pressure and leaks.

Thanks for the reply. As noted above I've turned ramp OFF, and changed the min/max pressures as suggested. I'll report results tomorrow.
Once the machine is setup, I'll be experimenting with different masks. Since I used the F & P masks on my old setup I'll make sure to check out their offerings.
Thanks again and stay tuned.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I use the F&P Vitera full face, my go-to. I've got a Simplus, another full face. Very similar and very comfortable. RollFit design keeps a seal with going from back to side frequently like I do. It's a bit fussy on placement on your face, but get that quirk nailed and you're good, repeatable low leak. Other non full face are available, just mentioning ones I've actually used. Good luck.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2021, 01:09 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: FWIW I use the F&P Vitera full face, my go-to. I've got a Simplus, another full face. Very similar and very comfortable. RollFit design keeps a seal with going from back to side frequently like I do. It's a bit fussy on placement on your face, but get that quirk nailed and you're good, repeatable low leak. Other non full face are available, just mentioning ones I've actually used. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions Dave. I'm adding the F&P Vitera to my try list. I used a F&P Forma for several years and it worked with low leaks but took a lot adjusting to get there. Also irritated the bridge of my nose but discovered that  small cotton pads solved that one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 111 Yesterday, 10:29 AM
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,015 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,611 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 171 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.