Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP setup problems (S10 and Dreamwear Full Face Mask)
RE: New CPAP setup problems (S10 and Dreamwear Full Face Mask)
IMO - I am seeing positional apnea.  Positional apnea is when you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway.  There is no pressure that will help with this problem.  An when the machine come across it - the machine can not identify it and shows it as an obstruction.  Yours I believe are reported in the H events.  And of course the machine ramps up pressure and leaks occur.

Positional apnea is caused by chin tucking when your chin drops down to your sternum, cutting off your air.  Sometimes it is sleeping on your back or to tall of a pillow.  Those can be easy fixes but if those are not the problem, you may need to wear a collar.  PLEASE see the link on collars in my signature at the bottom of the post.  In the link you will see people who did not have a collar and then the same people that did use a collar - huge difference.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2021, 12:43 AM)kblackw Wrote: Thanks for replying. I have the home do-it-yourself kit that includes all four sizes. I'm using the L now since my preliminary fit pointed to that size. The MW will be my next test drive.
I'll give the Airfit F30i a try also. I guess most folks have a toy box of various masks.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Good luck and I for one would be really interested to hear back about your experiences with the different masks.  Seems a mask can be just fine until...it isn't.  I've "graduated" to a nasal cushion (not pillow) from a FFM mask and for comfort have stuck with the Dreamwear and Resmed Airfit models with the hose on top.  Again, good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2021, 11:53 PM)staceyburke Wrote: IMO - I am seeing positional apnea.  Positional apnea is when you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway.  There is no pressure that will help with this problem.  An when the machine come across it - the machine can not identify it and shows it as an obstruction.  Yours I believe are reported in the H events.  And of course the machine ramps up pressure and leaks occur.

Positional apnea is caused by chin tucking when your chin drops down to your sternum, cutting off your air.  Sometimes it is sleeping on your back or to tall of a pillow.  Those can be easy fixes but if those are not the problem, you may need to wear a collar.  PLEASE see the link on collars in my signature at the bottom of the post.  In the link you will see people who did not have a collar and then the same people that did use a collar - huge difference.

My sincere thanks to the members of this group. I think you helped me understand what was going on. I have posted graphs from the weekend after making the suggested machine changes. Min pressure = 7. Max pressure = 14, ramp OFF, autostart OFF. Most importantly, I tried a cervical collar that I just happened to have laying around. I could tell the difference almost immediately, the mask actually fit properly, riding lightly on my face, with few discernible leaks. The red marks around my nostrils are starting to disappear. I also felt better because I wasn't spending the night fiddling with the mask.
After reading posts on this board, I suspected that I was dropping my chin after I fell asleep. This was reinforced when I discovered in the morning the lower part of the Dreamwear mask in my mouth, not on my chin.
Please look over the graphs, I'm open to suggestions to make more improvements. I'm still planning to try several other masks but I don't think with the same urgency. I guess I'll get used to wearing a bunch of 'software' on my head at night.
Again, my sincere thanks to all of you. -Kevin-

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I’m happy you have found out part of your problems. Things looked very good until around 5.

I would take a look at other collars and get the best fit and comfort possible. This would be my primary focus. Good luck and keep working on your therapy.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's an update on this thread. I now wear the cervical collar every night, I seem to be adapting to it. I also decided to try the medium Dreamwear FFM and the results seem to be generally positive. Leaks and events are reduced. Here is OSCAR data from several nights. I had one night where the leaks were very high. Cause was one of the upper straps came loose and I was too groggy to realize what happened.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Numbers look great!  I hope you are feeling better - that is the real measurement of treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a winner there. Just a little pointer, build solid repeatable trends, such as seeing the good chart 4 of 7 days. Then of course, if you get it 4/7 you can figure out what got you that 4, and follow-up with the other 3 not so good ones. And don't kick yourself too much if you have an off, bad night. Dust off and go again. We're not attempting to get perfect zero AHI, no leaks, etc. Just good, reasonable, repeatable nightly therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2021, 02:43 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Numbers look great!  I hope you are feeling better - that is the real measurement of treatment.

I've been so focused on the mask leak issue that I kind of ignored everything else. Never been one to be complacent, I'll keep watching the daily results for consistency and no backsliding. I actually do feel better, no more desire for an afternoon nap. I'm now starting to see if I can increase my sleep hours. This will be a challenge since I've never been one to spend much time sleeping. Thanks for the positive feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2021, 04:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: That's a winner there. Just a little pointer, build solid repeatable trends, such as seeing the good chart 4 of 7 days. Then of course, if you get it 4/7 you can figure out what got you that 4, and follow-up with the other 3 not so good ones. And don't kick yourself too much if you have an off, bad night. Dust off and go again. We're not attempting to get perfect zero AHI, no leaks, etc. Just good, reasonable, repeatable nightly therapy.

That's good advice Dave. I guess I got a bit excited over the good results but I'll definitely keep things in perspective. At least I now know that good results are possible. Thanks to the useful advice I've received here, I think I have a foundation to build on. Again many thanks for your suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 7 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 299 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.