Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user
RE: New CPAP user
Sixth night on CPAP.  I slept for 5.5 hours.  I am still tired but able to sleep longer each night with the CPAP.  One side of my nostril is sore and I have been using lanolin on it.  My right lung is sore when I take a deep breath.  

The CAs occurred during REM sleep according to my Fitbit.  That is when I had CAs during my sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers look good. I wouldn't worry about the CA events because there is so few of them. In the future if you could set up your chart like the instructions in the link below it would help a bunch! Thanks.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2018, 10:10 AM)mountainbird Wrote: Sixth night on CPAP.  I slept for 5.5 hours.  I am still tired but able to sleep longer each night with the CPAP.  One side of my nostril is sore and I have been using lanolin on it.  My right lung is sore when I take a deep breath.  

The CAs occurred during REM sleep according to my Fitbit.  That is when I had CAs during my sleep study.

The results are fine, and there is nothing you can do about the central apneas. They are what they are. If you want to put some tolerance and longer term stability into the setup, I would switch to the Auto mode and set the minimum at 5 cm, and max at 8 cm. It may sit at 5 cm night after night, but if you put the auto mode into control, it at least will adjust when you need it. Remember that just because you set the maximum pressure at 8 cm, it will not necessarily go there. It will only go there if it needs to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2018, 10:10 AM)mountainbird Wrote: My right lung is sore when I take a deep breath.  

I recall you mentioned that before. With your current setup in fixed pressure CPAP mode the pressure runs at 4 cm all night. You have your Expiry Pressure Relief set at 2 cm. It normally helps to ease breathing out, but the machine will not allow the pressure to drop below 4 cm, so it is doing nothing for you. It can't. If you want the machine to help you with breathing effort, it would be better to set the minimum pressure at 7 cm and the EPR at 3 cm. That way the inhale pressure will be boosted to 7 cm and will help you when you take a deep breath. But, as soon as you start to exhale the EPR will reduce the pressure to the same 4 cm that it is at now. 

If you stay in manual fixed pressure mode that will mean inhale pressure will be 7 cm all night, and exhale pressure will be 4 cm all night. Alternately you could go to auto mode and put a maximum pressure of 8 cm in. Most likely the machine based on your posted results will never go to 8 cm, but it could if it was necessary. Either way would work, and would be equally comfortable -- and likely more comfortable than where you are now with a straight fixed 4 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.  It is really wonderful.

This is specifically about your mask(s).  Your machine has a mask test.  Use it!  For me the mask straps are just barely snug, but you should use the test.  The idea is no leaks while on your back or sides.  You start with the straps loose and then tighten them only enough to eliminate the leaks.  In general I find the top straps (where there are four) are relatively loose and the bottom ones are tighter.  The test is set at 24 liters per minute and the neat thing about the test is that it automatically uses the highest pressure you have the machine set to.

I am not a doctor and these are my opinions only!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2018, 02:46 PM)LarryRapp Wrote: I am not a doctor and these are my opinions only!

I'm disappointed. I though you were a Famous rap singer. Doctor Rapp!   Laugh-a-lot
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, Walla Walla, not me!
--

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2018, 03:02 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(04-14-2018, 02:46 PM)LarryRapp Wrote: I am not a doctor and these are my opinions only!

I'm disappointed. I though you were a Famous rap singer. Doctor Rapp!   Laugh-a-lot

Wrapper may be the guy at McDonald's that packages the burgers.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep pulmonologist wants me to continue using CPAP at 4cm cpap mode until I can easily sleep with the machine.  Its day 10 and I am still having difficulty going to sleep, waking up and having a hard time getting back to sleep.  Tonight I am going to change the settings to 4-7 apap with 3 epr.   

My diagnosis is OSA but I think hypoventilation is the real problem.  I have not had any OAs, very few Hs and CAs and my AHI has always been way under 1/hour. The one CA I had last night was when I was waking up.   I don't snore and my snore score has been zero.  I am a very quiet sleeper and when I share rooms with friends at meetings, they say they can't even hear me breathing when I am asleep.  

I've attached two sleepyhead screen shots.  The leaks around 2 am occurred when I was in REM sleep (Fitbit).  I fell asleep around 10:30.  I was awake trying to go back to sleep in the last segment on sleepyhead.  

My pulse oximeter readings had me below 88% for 4.5 min which is much better than the previous night's 44 minutes.  

My tidal volume and minute ventilation look low when I am asleep.  

I am overweight but not obese.  I have asthma and take Singulair and Advair.  I don't drink alcohol or use antihistamines at night or take sleeping pills or any other respiratory depressants. 

I am beginning to think I have hypoventilation syndrome and not OSA.  I don't think the cpap will effectively treat this.  

Any advice?  

Thanks.

Attached Files
.pdf   April 17 cpap 4.pdf (Size: 349.86 KB / Downloads: 53)
Post Reply Post Reply
Well your making the right changes if you feel your not getting enough air. You should know after the first night if it helps. If it turns out to be the problem you'll probably be moving up to a BPAP machine.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,627 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 198 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,807 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,260 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,137 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,716 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 382 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.