Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user
Wink 
New CPAP user
Hi all - I am new to this forum and I just started my CPAP therapy last week.

I am not one of those lucky chaps who just sleep with a mask and feel reborn the next day. I am still struggling falling asleep and waking up in the middle of the night.

But with all your support, I am sure I will get through it!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user
Welcome to the board. That’s are many knowledgeable people here that will help. But to help all of them will need to see data. We get that data from OSCAR. It is a totally free program that you can download at the top of the site. 

Along you of course need a computer, SD card (2gb to 32gb what ever you have lying around or cheapest you can find). SD card reader on your computer. You have to sleep with the SD card in the machine. 

Take a look at the last link in my signature. It is about charts we need and information about OSCAR.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
You appear to have a bilevel machine Resmed Aircurve 10, but your profile suggests you are operating in CPAP mode. Download the free OSCAR software. There are instructions on organizing and attaching images in my signature. I'm sure we can help you to get much more comfortable and effective therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2021, 02:41 AM)Cylinderbear Wrote: Hi all - I am new to this forum and I just started my CPAP therapy last week.

I am not one of those lucky chaps who just sleep with a mask and feel reborn the next day. I am still struggling falling asleep and waking up in the middle of the night.

But with all your support, I am sure I will get through it!!

Brilliant finding the forum. Like you I had difficulty getting used to CPAP but thanks to many on this forum and  a DME-owned forum forum (mostly reading posts as a lurker) I have been able to adjust the therapy settings to getting a good nights sleep for the first time in years. You do not have to go through the CPAP adjustment cycle alone, many here can help.

Listen to StaceyBurke and Sleeprider about OSCAR. Being able to post the OSCAR output for those knowledgeable in analysing the graphs will make a massive difference in your therapy and comfort. When you have questions do yourself a favour and search first before posting as others have likely experienced similar challenges.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you offering help!  Thanks

I have attached two OSCAR screens.

You will see that I am using the Airsense 10 but not the Aircurve. I ordered the Aircurve and it is still being shipped / delivered. My distributor loaned me the Airsense 10 until the Aircurve arrives.

In both cases you will see that I wake in the middle of the night (around 2:30am) and stopped the machine. I didn't know what wake me up or why I wake up. This just kept me from sleeping 8 hours straight..

Any insights?

Post Reply Post Reply
One thing you can do is set your min pressure closer to the median pressure to improve the machine's response.  In this instance, set it to 6.

Please also include flow limitation graph.

The easy way to set the OSCAR graphs in the preferred order and format:

1. Go to View menu - Reset Graphs - Standard

2. In View menu, turn on Sidebar

3. Again in View Menu turn off Daily Calendar and Pie Chart

4. Set Graph Height in File Menu -> Preferences -> Appearance Tab

At 192, the 5 graphs (flags, flow rate, pressure, leak, flow limit) are nicely spaced out.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to address pressures as your therapy will be better. And it will solve your bad math issue involving settings. You see, you're attempting to use EPR 2 at pressure minimum 4. It cannot be done. CPAP starts at 4 where your set minimum is now. You're asking the machine to drop to 2 by the EPR 2, but it's impossible.

EPR is exhale pressure relief, and it is actual cmH2O numbers just like therapy pressure. EPR works this way mathematically, pressure 4 minus EPR 0 equals 4, pressure 5 minus EPR 1 equals 4, pressure 6 minus EPR 2 equals 4, pressure 7 minus EPR 3 equals 4, then from there, the pressure increases will both go up equally. Pressure 8 EPR 3 = 8/5, and so on. Hope that makes sense.

Now, your current 4-20 is default, the cookie cutter every CPAP is set to this. There's no specific, best therapy setting for you to get your best therapy on default for everyone.

Having said all that, if you want EPR 2 to actually do something, you'll need to change pressure from 4 to 6.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2021, 07:45 AM)GrumpyHere Wrote: At 192, the 5 graphs (flags, flow rate, pressure, leak, flow limit) are nicely spaced out.

The 192 is dependent on the resolution of the monitor you are using.  This graph height value is the number of pixels per graph, thus determining how many graphs can be displayed in the field-of-view.

To display a certain number of graphs, a quick rule-of-thumb is to determine how many graphs you wish to display on your screen.  A monitor's resolution is listed as horizontal X vertical pixels (H x V), so you will use the last value (V) in its declaration for the following.  Depending on your monitor's vertical resolution, either add 2 for monitors 800 pixels and below, or 1 to resolutions above 800 pixels. (I don't know the exact breakpoint)  Now, divide the monitor's vertical resolution by this value.  The whole number result (everything to the left of the decimal point) will be a good starting point.  

Note: This action may result in the graph labels extending past the visible area, this will mean you will need to reduce the font size as well.

If you are wondering, the value you add to the resolution is to account for the title and border areas of the display.

I hope this will help. Good luck!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job with Oscar. One graph you did not get on the screen - flow limits. Take a look at the pressure graph. It looks like a jagged mountain range. You can’t sleep very Neely with those type of pressure swings.

We get those down with EPR (exhale pressure relief). And as other have said to do that we need to raise the min pressure. I would suggest the settings for a night.

Min 8
EPR 3
Max 15
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with stacey burke that a minimum of 8 and EPR of 3 would be a good experiment to try. (The max doesn't matter, since you're not going above 12, it seems.) Let us know how it goes.

Your numbers are excellent, so we're looking for ways to make you more comfortable, and smoothing out the pressure may help. The recommended revisions will probably take you at least part way toward that goal.

They may also reduce your flow limitations. FLs are inconsequential for some people and troublesome for others. So it'll be worth seeing what can be done about them. When your VAuto Aircurve arrives, you'll have more capacity to address FLs.

I'm curious why you've been prescribed a bi-level machine. Do you know?

In general, a good way to speed up the process of getting used to this new experience is to set up the machine outside your bedroom during the day or evening and use it for an hour or two while reading or watching TV. This teaches your brain it's really OK that an alien is sitting on your face blowing air up your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 468 2 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,490 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,044 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 299 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.