Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user...and I can't sleep a wink. Help!
RE: New CPAP user...and I can't sleep a wink. Help!
(09-08-2019, 06:01 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Whew, are you ever lucky!!!!  You're going through, word-for-word, event-for-event, dismay-for-dismay, what about 80% of new PAP users do.  Too-funny 

Ok, that wasn't so funny.  Not to you, and not right now.  My bad.

Truthfully, what you have described is not in any way atypical.  Look...it's a novelty, it represents a new reality, and that new reality isn't especially nice to have when you're aging and things are....ummm…..changing....yeah....changing.  You've never known you had the disorder...until now.  You've never had to sleep with a mask over your face...until now.  You've never felt your cheeks ballooning...until now.  This is a new time, a new milestone, a new reality...AND YOU WILL GET USED TO IT.

First, you go by how it feels.  If it feels okay to wear while you're watching TV or reading the paper, then that's a great way to get used to the feel.  Many do that.  Later, in bed, it won't seem quite so intrusive, and you'll be able to relax.

Next, you go by the numbers.  The data you should be able to read from your (provided, included?) SD card in the side slot, will tell you amazing information about how well you're doing over and above those two green smilies on the machine's screen.  In the masthead at top, notice "OSCAR".  Please read-in, download it, it's free, and then open an account in it.  Get your SD card and upload your latest information.  Post it here, and we can help you to fine-tune your settings...IF....they need it.  We won't know until we see hard data.

Welcome!

This is good advice done with a bit of humour.  When you sit with a mask on to get used to it, you do not even need the machine connected or the hose until you get used to the mask being on your face.  After you get used to it being there, you can move on to the mask, hose and machine being connected and sit and watch TV or read (might be difficult if you have glasses!) but this is how to get used to a full faced mask or a nasal mask.  The other thing is not to over tighten the mask, this is the most common mistake newbies make.  Including me, but there was no one to ask when I started out on my CPAP/APNEA journey.  The hospital was 200 miles away and 200 miles here feel like 600 anywhere else.  So I was on my own, but I was lucky in one way, I had to make it work and did just that making most of the mistakes on the way,

So good luck pujolsfan with using the machine and mask.
You will get there in the end, it just takes a bit of patience and will power.
If you need more advice there are a lot of knowledgable people here willing to help.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user...and I can't sleep a wink. Help!
Not sure if anyone happened to mention a hose hanger / holder, and I didn't take the time to read thru every response to see if anyone did.

Chances are, you don't have one. If you don't, get one!! For me, it made an incredible difference. I went about 2-3 months w/o one, before someone mentioned them, and I checked some out. I ended up making one of my own.

Anyways, it makes managing the hose so much easier. They're not expensive or hard to find. Do a search of CPAP hose holder, and you will find many to choose from.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,426 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 157 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 264 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 153 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 319 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 211 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.