Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user had and AHI of 74.49 last night.
New CPAP user had and AHI of 74.49 last night.
I'm a 34 year old male, and I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I averaged 80+ apneas during my test and my blood oxygen was below 87% for long stretches of the night. I got my CPAP on Wednesday. Even with the machine, I've been having consistently high AHIs. I know there is a bit of a process to get used to the therapy, but from the research I've done, I don't seem to have come across anyone else who still have AHIs this high.

The first night was a little rough getting used to the machine I had an AHI of 20.27, but I felt much less fatigued than normal the next day. 

The second night was amazing. I only woke up once and slept hard through the night for the first time in years. My wife joked that she thought I might be dead because I didn't move all night or even stir when she came in. Had an AHI of 11.86 that night. But I woke up at 5:45 am and felt rested all day.

The third night was not as good AHI 43.59. Still felt decent the next day.

Last night it was 74.49, which is not much better than when I did my test. Felt much more tired today. I'm worried that the machine is not working as it should given the extremely high AHIs. I attached my Oscar results to look at. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me. 

[attachment=13738]

[attachment=13739]

[attachment=13740]

[attachment=13741]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user had and AHI of 74.49 last night.
(07-21-2019, 03:44 PM)importantbrian Wrote: I'm a 34 year old male, and I was recently diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I averaged 80+ apneas during my test and my blood oxygen was below 87% for long stretches of the night. I got my CPAP on Wednesday. Even with the machine, I've been having consistently high AHIs. I know there is a bit of a process to get used to the therapy, but from the research I've done, I don't seem to have come across anyone else who still have AHIs this high.

The first night was a little rough getting used to the machine I had an AHI of 20.27, but I felt much less fatigued than normal the next day. 

The second night was amazing. I only woke up once and slept hard through the night for the first time in years. My wife joked that she thought I might be dead because I didn't move all night or even stir when she came in. Had an AHI of 11.86 that night. But I woke up at 5:45 am and felt rested all day.

The third night was not as good AHI 43.59. Still felt decent the next day.

Last night it was 74.49, which is not much better than when I did my test. Felt much more tired today. I'm worried that the machine is not working as it should given the extremely high AHIs. I attached my Oscar results to look at. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me. 

Thanks for posting your graphs... It looks like your Apnoea is positional and your machine is maxing out trying to clear your apnoea and failing. You may have good success with a soft cervical collar as this will prevent you chin tucking and causing your obstructive apnoea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nailed it, Positional Apnea from tucking the chin.

read the 
Positional Apnea Wiki
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the information. I read through the linked page. That makes total sense. I get that tucked chin position all the time now that I think about it. I'm going to order a soft collar today. In the meantime, I tried changing up my pillow arrangement and sleeping on my side to prevent it. It definitely seems to have helped. I woke up a couple of times and could tell my chin was down, so hopefully, the collar prevents that. Still had high AHIs last night, but I can see where I had long periods without any apneas and then clusters of them altogether. [attachment=13756]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your latest effort cleaned up the leaks, but I really look forward to seeing the "after" a soft cervical collar shot. I think it will challenge the efficacy of the example we used in the Wiki.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2019, 08:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your latest effort cleaned up the leaks, but I really look forward to seeing the "after" a soft cervical collar shot.  I think it will challenge the efficacy of the example we used in the Wiki.

I'll be sure to post after I try it out. It should come in tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the first collar I got was too small, but I finally got one that is the right size. It took some getting used to, but each night with it has gotten better. Last night I had an AHI of 6.77. It's still hight, but that's the best it's been since I started treatment.

[attachment=13915][attachment=13916][attachment=13917]
Post Reply Post Reply
Didn't have time to pull my charts this morning, but it was my first night under 5 AHI. The collar along with sleeping on my side has really really helped. Thanks for the suggestion. The treatment has been a revelation for me. No more falling asleep at red lights, while driving, watching movies or working. Basically, any time I slowed down for more than a few minutes I started falling asleep. I did a three-hour drive over the weekend and didn't start to dose at all. I didn't even feel very tired. I know that seems like a silly milestone, but for me it was huge.
Post Reply Post Reply
not silly at all. it's what we're all striving for.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,353 7 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 152 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question First night with CPAP (Luna G3) Big Ultima Energy 3 126 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 232 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,724 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,233 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,215 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.