Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user: help
Gross 
New CPAP user: help
Hi all

I'm new to CPAP and to this board. I just got an automated machine 2 days ago and can't seem to fall asleep with it.

I use a nasal mask because a full face mask gives me anxiety.

I have bad allergies and often need to clear my throat or cough, but with the CPAP on, it is very difficult. A simple yawn is nearly impossible.

The other issue is that as I fall asleep, I get waves of vertigo that make me rip the mask off.

It has only been 2 nights, but am looking for suggestions for how to get through this adjustment successfully.

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user: help
Welcome Smraz,
Are you taking anything for your allergies? I suffer from allergies and congestion, so I know how important it is to get that under control as much as possible. Be sure to use nasal rinses and talk to your doctor about nasal sprays.

Your starting pressure of 4 is very low. Most people find that they have a harder time breathing at such a low pressure. Do you know what pressure they titrated you at during your sleep study?
Try raising your starting pressure to 5.

Also, what ResMed machine are you using? There are several different models. Once you know that, fill out your profile with that information. Then order the clinical manual (top of page) if you don't already have it. That will explain how to change your settings.

Just know that for some it takes time to adjust to CPAP.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Smraz,
WELCOME!to the forum.!
CPAP can take some time to get used to.
Try wearing your mask and using your machine during the evening as you watch TV or read, this will help you get used to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting used to it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.
@opalrose-- the ResMed machine is automatic, so it doesn't stay @4. When I checked my report, it was at 8.8. I have tried many allergy meds and sprays. Sometimes they work, but never completely. I still have to clear my throat a lot and or cough which is difficult when the machine is on.
If anyone else has experienced lightheadedness or vertigo from CPAP and have any suggestions, it would be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-17-2015, 12:58 PM)Smraz Wrote: Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.
@opalrose-- the ResMed machine is automatic, so it doesn't stay @4. When I checked my report, it was at 8.8. I have tried many allergy meds and sprays. Sometimes they work, but never completely. I still have to clear my throat a lot and or cough which is difficult when the machine is on.
If anyone else has experienced lightheadedness or vertigo from CPAP and have any suggestions, it would be helpful.

Smraz,
I'm sure someone who has suffered with vertigo will come along and answer your questions. I had it early on, but it just went away within a couple weeks.

Thanks for filling out your profile. If you medium or 90% reading is at 8.8, then
the reason I think your starting pressure of 4 is too low is because although the APAP will adapt to your needs, it has a long way to go from a pressure of 4 to almost 9, and could miss or not treat some apneas on the way.

If you download Sleepyhead software, you will be able to see that on the graphs and keep tract of your therapy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a bout of vertigo - of the BPPV variety. I can't say it was caused by CPAP I'd been on it for a while when it happened - but I did have a run in with it. When I had it tho, I had it whether or not I was masked up. Got rid of it while preparing for a flight. Stuck "earplanes" into my ears and it sucked out the vacuum between my ears Too-funny
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose. I'm still trying to figure it what all the data means. That might help

@DariaVader..I won't fly without my earplanes.
Post Reply Post Reply
4 is to low for the min , most likely making you feel smothered.
Bump the min up to 5 or 6.
Itll help your auto respond quicker to events also.
I cant stand less than 8 for a min myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Smraz, in my case throat clearing and coughing led to a diagnosis of acid reflux rather than
allergy symptoms although I do have allergies. If you think that might be part of your problem there are some good OTC products to try. Two weeks should tell you. Caution - do not use these products for an extended time without medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the beginning it seems difficult to cough and clear your throat but just go ahead and do it and over time you will adjust to the feeling. The energy of coughing and clearing is easily more powerful than the air pressure from the machine.

I agree with stanleydean, it sounds like acid reflux.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 23 442 10 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,489 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,043 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.