Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user here with a question about my elbow
New CPAP user here with a question about my elbow
Howdy! Hi

I just started using CPAP a couple days ago. I've always been a light sleeper. The slightest itch or noise can keep me up for hours, so I was half expecting not to get a single minute of sleep with a pressurized mask strapped onto my face. Well after a lesson of trial and error over the first night or two (and then reading some seriously helpful advice thanks to apneaboard), I was pleasantly surprised to find not only do I fall asleep with this thing, I wake up feeling more refreshed than I ever did in the months prior to this. That kind of tells me how much I needed this. It's not perfect, I still wake up several times to fiddle with the mask, I'm getting lots of 'CA' events in the data, but I know I'm still adjusting so I'll give it more time and just keep plugging away for now. I think it's working wonders already.

Anyway, on to my question: For those with a ResMed masks that have the 'quiet' elbow, any tips on daily washing that little part? I kind of swish mine around in a bowl of soapy water in the morning then rinse under the tap, but even after leaving it on a towel to dry all day I can still shake lots of water out of the tiny holes. The wadded material in the exhaust port seems to soak it up like a sponge. Am I doing it right? Would it be okay to blast it with a hair dryer to blow the water out immediately after washing? TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user here with a question about my elbow
Everyone has there own cleaning schedule.

I wash my face mask daily to get rid of any oil from my skin, which is important to reduce leaks.

Weekly I soak the elbow, tubing and water tank in hot soapy water(free and clear with no fragrance) for about 10 minutes and rinse them out. I let them air dry for about 3 hours before I use them again.

I have never had problems with the elbow getting dirty or plugging up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup......just soak it in some hot water and dish soap (I use Dawn). Swish it around some as well. Rinse it off and let it air dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright that's reassuring. I'm probably overthinking it then (not surprising, lol)

Think I'll just shake it out as much as I can and not mess with it any more than that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Air drying is fine, or for hose and elbow, you could run the PAP for a minute with them connected, if you need to force drying these internally.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are all the ResMed elbows of later manufacture the quiet ones? I'm assuming that the ones I have, are.
Post Reply Post Reply
My guess is yes. There may be a few old style around, but likely hard to find is my guess.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank-you!  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Hurricane Dryer.

Look on amazon > The Hurricane CPAP Equipment Dryer

I love it way better than so clean.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a good idea, Dave. I ran the mask-fit test on my machine which cranks the pressure right up, and held the opening of the elbow against my palm to force the air through the exhaust vent. I could feel a good amount of air coming out the vent so I'll give this a whirl the next time I wash it.

The hurricane dryer does look nice, but a little more than I'm willing to spend.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,485 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,040 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.