Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user need some help
New CPAP user need some help
As with all of you, I have trouble sleeping. Duh! Anway I got prescribed a Resmed S9 machine with the nasal pillows.

I'm a stomach sleeper, and I had the nose (fighter jet style) cover before and sleep reasonably well with that but the whole apparatus was to damn big for me to get to sleep.

I've tried the nasal pillows for two days, but it's not going well. I need some tips or encouragement.

The first night I couldn't get to sleep until 2AM+ (AHI 2.8), and last night I was able to sleep, but tossed and turned a lot (AHI 6).

I'm a stomach sleeper, and I still can't fall asleep on my back.

So can anyone that has gone through this give me some advice? I'm having a hard time adjusting to the thing. I may switch masks, but I think a lot of it has to do with changing my habit to wear the mask and become accustomed to it on my head.

Today I've been dragging so much that I almost feel like going back to no mask and just snoring like nuts (AHI 6 ish).

Looking forward to your replies!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user need some help
(03-13-2013, 06:15 PM)iwanttosleep Wrote: I'm a stomach sleeper, and I still can't fall asleep on my back.

Hi iwanttosleep, welcome to the forum!

Sleeping on the back is usually the worst sleep position for sleep apnea.

Can you sleep on your side? If not, maybe a 3" thick mattress topper would add softness and support and would allow you to sleep on your side.

By the way, you have a right to a copy of your sleep study report. If it shows no Central Apnea events then you likely can use EPR to make therapy more comfortable.

Hang in there and don't give up!

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi iwanttosleep, WELCOME! to the forum.
You could try to set up and wear your mask and use your machine while you watch tv or read in the evening before you go to sleep. This will help your body get use to the mask and machine.
Best of lukc to you and don't give up on this, hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2013, 06:34 PM)vsheline Wrote: By the way, you have a right to a copy of your sleep study report. If it shows no Central Apnea events then you likely can use EPR to make therapy more comfortable.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

EPR? I'm not up on all the jargon. What does that mean?

I should get the detailed copy you're right. I would be interested in seeing that. I only have the summary.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2013, 06:15 PM)iwanttosleep Wrote: I'm a stomach sleeper, and I still can't fall asleep on my back.

Hi iwanttosleep, welcome to the forum!

Sleeping on the back is usually the worst sleep position for sleep apnea.

Can you sleep on your side? If not, maybe a 3" thick mattress topper would add softness and support and would allow you to sleep on your side.

By the way, you have a right to a copy of your sleep study report. If it shows no Central Apnea events then you likely can safely use EPR to make therapy more comfortable. EPR works best on Auto-adjusting machines, though. On CPAP machines it is best to raise the pressure setting an equal amount to compensate for the EPR. If using EPR of 3, best to raise CPAP pressure by 2 or 3. Sleep doctors are just beginning to learn this. No need to do this on Auto machines because when needed the pressure is automatically raised, compensating for EPR or changes in sleep position or whatever.

It would be best to monitor your nightly detailed sleep data using ResScan or SleepyHead software.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Hmm. Tried to edit my earlier post but it has appeared as a new post. Oh well.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2013, 06:52 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi iwanttosleep, WELCOME! to the forum.
You could try to set up and wear your mask and use your machine while you watch tv or read in the evening before you go to sleep. This will help your body get use to the mask and machine.
Best of lukc to you and don't give up on this, hang in there for more suggestions.

I should do that. I've been just embarrassed by the whole thing since I'm fairly young < 40, and I feel like a dope wearing it around my spouse. Although she loves that I don't snore like a freight train with the mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2013, 06:55 PM)iwanttosleep Wrote: EPR? I'm not up on all the jargon. What does that mean?

EPR stands for Exhalation Pressure Relief, and can be set to 3, 2, 1 or Off. It allows normal CPAP pressure for inhale (IPAP) but lowers the pressure during exhale (EPAP). People who (like me) have a tendency to have central apneas probably should use little or no EPR because it tends to make more Central Apnea events occur. But for most folks EPR makes treatment more comfortable and does not cause any CA events.

On CPAP machines it is best to raise the pressure setting an equal amount to compensate for the EPR. If using EPR of 3, best to raise CPAP pressure by 2 or 3. Sleep doctors are just beginning to learn this. No need to do this on Auto machines because whenever needed the pressure automatically raises itself, compensating for EPR or changes in sleep position or whatever.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't get embarrassed by the mask. My wife gets a kick out of it (and is glad she doesn't have to wear earplugs and sleep in the other room anymore). She has a great fondness for elephants and thinks I now look like one. Not sure how to take that, really. I sometimes do the "Luke, I am your father" bit, but she's the wrong generation and never saw Star Wars, so it goes over her head.

Seriously, one method of making nasal pillows sit better in odd positions like stomach sleeping (Not a good position for an apnoea patient, BTW, as unless you lie face down you are twisting your neck and trachea, causing some resistance in your breathing - side sleeping is best) is to attach the hose to wall or head board with sufficient slack that it allows you to move in any position but not so much that the hose rests on the pillow completely. You can run the hose up over the top head band as well, which will keep the exhaust port from moving around. With the hose up and out of the way, you are far freer to move about in any position and the pillows will sit more comfortably and tighter than if the hose hangs down. I'm a roller and a turner, and I quickly learned that getting the hose up above my head made for greater comfort and easier sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm I'll have to try the side sleeping. It's just tough when I'm not used to that really. I can probably stack some blankets to make it softer on my shoulders like vsheline suggested.

The EPR setting I have is '3'. So maybe that's a problem, but I'm not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2013, 07:27 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(03-13-2013, 06:55 PM)iwanttosleep Wrote: EPR? I'm not up on all the jargon. What does that mean?

EPR stands for Exhalation Pressure Relief,

True, there is a LOT of .... jargon. At one point I set out to write a comprehensive glossary of every known sleep term, shamelessly plagiarized from every source I could think of, including here. As such my glossary is a freebie. I don't know if Apnea Board ever posted it or not, but I keep it as a reference since ---- there is just too much terminology, acronyms, abbreviations, etc. I recently went through all the ResMed user manuals and clinical manuals for further definitions. I think there are still a handful that I don't have included yet.

DAMN! That's the problem. As soon as you think you've got it all then more definitions come along. So it's hopelessly unfinished but it's a start.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 357 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,473 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,034 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.