Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user needs a bit of help
RE: New CPAP user needs a bit of help
Hi Donkey Farm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a pretty good start, and as you get this therapy dialed in, it will get even better. It’s great to hear that you are already noticing improvements after a few days.
Keep up the good work and hang in there for more responses to your post.
Good luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
what is real good is that you feel rested and better.  even with the current scores where they are, about 20% of people start getting real rest again.

so, we will look for the next couple days results when you post to se if the shift to 7 minimum changed either the score or the well-being measure.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I am really impressed by this forum and how helpful you guys are!

First thing I did was to set the minimum pressure to 7, leaving the A flex at 2. For some reason it wasn't a good night:
AHI 7.29
Clear Airway 5.33
Obstructive 0.26
Hypopnea 1.69

I said I don't really care about CAs for now but the 5.33 CA (most of the events clustered before I get up) made me want to try a few more adjustments.
So, on the following night I tried turning A-flex off. Results were better but with A-flex off, it was pretty uncomfortable.
AHI  4.24
Clear Airway 1.63
Obstructive 0.65
Hypopnea 1.95

So I turned the flex on again (set at 2) and took a good look at Hypopnea events from the past few nights. Almost all of them occurs at pressure under 8 (6 with the A-flex at 2). So, I decided to turn the minimum pressure to 8 (A-flex at 2). This is the results for the past 2 nights:

8/8/17
AHI 4.08
Clear Airway 2.42
Obstructive 0.26
Hypopnea 1.40

9/8/17 (Catching a cold)
AHI 4.98
Clear Airway 2.68
Obstructive 0.00
Hypopnea 2.23

It's a bit early to get a clear picture yet. It seems to be moving in the right direction (even though I was feeling sick with a cold yesterday) at least that my interpretation. I'll post a pic of last night results, see if you have more advice. 

I want to try setting the A-flex at 1 instead of 2 to see if it helps with reducing the Hypopnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
What's too bad is that I don't feel as energetic as the first week. Maybe, it's just the cold. Anyway, let me know if you think increasing the minimum pressure to 8 was a good move or if I should stay on 7 for a bit longer.  

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
You seem to be on the right track to change AFlex to 1. I suggest you try 8 cm minimum and 8 cm maximum, or put the machine in CPAP mode at 8. That will avoid those 1.5 cm pressure changes through the night that are not doing anything for you. The auto algorithm is not changing your pressure through the night anyway, so using steady pressure is not going to change much, but might stabilize the CA events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
most have found that the greater pressure relief, the better the hypopnea, but the worse for CA. So, if you decrease aflex from 2 to 1 you may reduce the CA but increase the H score.  we won't know unless you try.

your questions about what this day or that day means (without seeing what a week is like at the setting) are hard to answer.  so, yes, if you are getting acceptable sleep it may be better to do the same setting for at least 4 days, potentially a week or more if there are significant setting changes.

I have noticed in my own data that the 1.5 cm spikes in the algorithm only occur when there is something (mostly flow limitations) that suggest that an increased pressure should be tested.  There is something in our flow that it checks and reacts to. [my example:]

[Image: CDnAzbK.png]

QAL

ps. your chart can be put on imgur, too.  here it is.

[Image: Ydu67Jf.png]
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I am leaving the current setting for a week or so to get a better idea. Last night was great with an AHI at 2.89 (best result so far) so I am hoping that the ohers night will be good too.

Sleeprider suggestion sounds good but I'll wait a little. 

As always you guys have been really helpful !
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Patience is a virtue. I looked at my wife's data last Friday, and made the first change after 6 months of use. I increased minimum pressure by a mere 0.4 cm, and the result was her AHI went from a routine 1.5-2.0 to 0-.6. Making frequent changes means you don't know if what you did was significant or if it was coincidental. Keep at it DF, you're doing fine, and good choice to give it more time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 22 438 45 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,489 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,043 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,017 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.