Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user needs help with central apneas
Sad 
New CPAP user needs help with central apneas
Hey everyone,

Shoutout the contributors on this website! I've learned a ton from my lurking and am excited to post my first thread.

I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and am new to CPAP therapy. And am struggling to get my AHI down (and have energy throughout my workday). The main contributor to a high AHI is my central apneas events.

Here's some info.

-Male Mid twenties
-Nonsmoker, non-drinker
-Good sleep hygiene
-Take no medication
-Took at-home sleep test last month (Results http://www.imgur.com/a/64Eod5h -> AHI was 17.5 without therapy which were roughly half obstructive, half central apneas.).
-Also took in lab titration test last month too (Results: http://www.imgur.com/a/SNJD2Lv -> Achieved 2 AHI, on pressure settings 5 to 9, only 1 central event)
-Bought and am using Resmed Airsense 10 with N30i.

Since using my therapy, my AHI has been quite high (still high single, low double digits ) . I've been experimenting with different pressure settings as I learn new things, and try understanding my results in Oscar.

Since using oscar, I've noticed my AHI is high because of my apneas are from central events.

Here's an example of my oscar results, from last night:
http://www.imgur.com/a/GknZGAn

What am I doing wrong? How can I get my AHI and central events down?

Thanks in advance,

ps. my EPR settings have are and always have been off.

Ps. I uploaded screenshots of my results on imgur so you can see them. They arent linked in the text above (because forum rules) but you can copy and paste the URL. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user needs help with central apneas
You should be able to post your OSCAR screenshots as New Attachment.

OK I did see your test result, and yes pretty much 50/50 split on Obstructive/Central count.

A few questions:
What exact CPAP do you have? It should say in metallic lettering on the lower right front. There's 4 AirSense 10 models, CPAP, Elite, AutoSet, AutoSet For Her.
What exact settings are you using? Pressure is x? If you have EPR, it is x?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
tiredtony,
I fixed your links for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CA flag at the end of the test results may have been SWJ, which is sleep wake junk. If true that CA was false in that you may have been moving or a breath hold while about to wake up.

No other CA that I could detect.

A possibility is your current CA may be treatment emergent Centrals and may be avoided by editing settings.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not seeing classic treatment emergent central apnea so I'm assuming they are ideopathic. And you flow limits are a little high.

I would like to take the pressure swings out as the central are triggering when your pressure goes high.

Set min=max=7 and let's see what happens,. And address the flow limits latter if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2021, 03:54 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: You should be able to post your OSCAR screenshots as New Attachment.

OK I did see your test result, and yes pretty much 50/50 split on Obstructive/Central count.

A few questions:
What exact CPAP do you have? It should say in metallic lettering on the lower right front. There's 4 AirSense 10 models, CPAP, Elite, AutoSet, AutoSet For Her.
What exact settings are you using? Pressure is x? If you have EPR, it is x?

Thanks for all of the comments, everyone! Very much appreciated.

@SarcasticDave94, I have the Airsense 10 Autoset. My pressure settings are min 5.0 - max 9.0. And EPR is off.

@Gideon, Thanks for taking a look & the suggestion. I will try setting min and max to 7 and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK copy let's see what the pressure edit does.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck in your journey, I'm in a similar situation as yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey yall,

So I updated my settings to:

6.0 - 7.0 pressure.

It seemed to work for a few nights, where my AHI was high single digits, but it's back to the teens again. No additional changes were made.

Aug 31 oscar results:
imgur.com/a/6XJBkqv

Sept 1 results:
imgur.com/a/1NI2Bu0

Mostly central events, still.

Any ideas on how to improve this AHI? ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, get an ASV

Compl;ain to your doc that your CPAP is not working and get a same day appt to talk with him and resolve.

You NEED an ASV
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 357 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,513 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 538 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.