Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user; new to forum
New CPAP user; new to forum
Hello, everyone! My name is dobie and I am a new CPAP user.
I have had my unit for 2 weeks and tomorrow will be going back to get the pillow mask. (That's the one I used when I did my sleep study and I think it worked better for me than the nasal mask I'm using now, except for some nasal soreness the next day.)

It hasn't been an easy two weeks; I think there's only been 2 nights that I used it for 7 hrs or more.

The air seems to be too warm or too humid or just too stuffy. I will talk tomorrow to the guy re: suggested setting changes.

Also, a question: When I exhale there seems to be a little bit of a 'wheezing' sound at the cpap unit. Is that normal? It's alittle distracting, but possibly just one more thing I need to get used to.

Anyway, just wanted to say 'Thanks' for this forum. I'll continue looking around and see what other info I can find.

Regards,
-dobie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user; new to forum
Hi dobie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, and the mask is the hardest part of this whole thing, but just stick with it. .
Feel free to ask as many questions as you need; you'll get lots of help here on the board.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

Just turn the round knob to turn the humidity up or down.

Please fill in your profile with the exact machine you have. It should say something like "Escape, Elite, or AutoSet" next to the power button.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2013, 06:10 PM)archangle Wrote: Please fill in your profile with the exact machine you have. It should say something like "Escape, Elite, or AutoSet" next to the power button.

I've updated it now; I didn't know the exact info earlier when I signed up.
I'm guessing about the software, I don't know if I have software (?).

I'm going to see the ResMed guy (you guys refer to them as DME's? or am I confused about that) and will ask him several questions at least.

Now I will search this site re: the 'Escape', which if I recall, didn't get very good reviews on here?

Thanks for the welcomes!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2013, 07:01 PM)dobie Wrote:
(06-03-2013, 06:10 PM)archangle Wrote: Please fill in your profile with the exact machine you have. It should say something like "Escape, Elite, or AutoSet" next to the power button.

I've updated it now; I didn't know the exact info earlier when I signed up.
I'm guessing about the software, I don't know if I have software (?).

I'm going to see the ResMed guy (you guys refer to them as DME's? or am I confused about that) and will ask him several questions at least.

Now I will search this site re: the 'Escape', which if I recall, didn't get very good reviews on here?

Thanks for the welcomes!
If you and your doctor want to monitor and optimize the therapy, S9 Escape is the wrong machine, you might want to get the ResMed guy to replace S9 Escape with S9 Elite or S9 AutoSet
Avoid any Resmed machine with Escape in the name

Escape models don,t report any efficacy data such as AHI, leak, etc and no mask fit feature or central apnea detection, just usage ... how many hours using the machine each night also the same goes with the software
Check specifications http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Here are some links about H5i humidifier and climate line instructions
Just like any new appliances, its important to read and understand the instructions
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf

S9 clinical manual available via email: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
S9 setup videos: http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I'm guessing you have a Resmed S-9. The "wheeze" on exhale is a pretty common thing mentioned. I've had mine for 2 months and it does it. It bothered me at first until I saw a lot of folk mentioning it on this and other sites. I don't notice it anymore unless I think to notice it. Dont think it is a problem.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome the forum!!! We are glad you joined us! Welcome

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told they couldn't trade out the escape for a different machine because I have already used the escape machine. I don't know if I just need to wait until the machine needs to be replace in however many years or if I need to call and get my doctor involved.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dobie,
You are getting shabby service.
Tell them to get you an S9 Autoset or you will take your business elsewhere.
(that should get their attention)
They will care about the money loss even if they don't care about you.

(Grrr!!)

I am Shastzi, scourge of DME's! At the mention of my name they quake in their boots with fear...

=^.^=

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2013, 04:17 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Hi Dobie,
You are getting shabby service.
Tell them to get you an S9 Autoset or you will take your business elsewhere.
(that should get their attention)
They will care about the money loss even if they don't care about you.

(Grrr!!)

I am Shastzi, scourge of DME's! At the mention of my name they quake in their boots with fear...

=^.^=

Sleep-well

That all sounds good (esp. the 'quake....with fear' part, Smile), but they already have my money and, I believe, my insurance company's money as well.

I should have done my research BEFORE I got a machine but I really didn't think about it.

I will email my doctor and perhaps call my insurance company, but in the meantime, I will continue trying to get used to using this contraption.

I just got a nasal pillow mask today, so I'll see if that makes things more comfortable for me.

Thanks to all for your input. It is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 29 525 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,505 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 273 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,048 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,022 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,597 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 190 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.