Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user; new to forum
RE: New CPAP user; new to forum
Quote:That all sounds good (esp. the 'quake....with fear' part, Smile), but they already have my money and, I believe, my insurance company's money as well.

I should have done my research BEFORE I got a machine but I really didn't think about it.

I will email my doctor and perhaps call my insurance company, but in the meantime, I will continue trying to get used to using this contraption.

I don't think the Escape is a BAD machine. There are just some better out there. I used an S8 Elite for 7-8 years and didn't know there was such a thing as reporting. I just self titrated and adjusted the pressue over time (turns out it is the 75% pressure my S9 logs today).

Same some money and maybe think about a use machine. There are some on one of the list's vendors (#2 IIRC) who is GREAT with customer service and support. You can probably find a "gently used " machine from them. Also, the classifieds at CL have some pretty good deals occasionally, depending on the market in which you live. I found a danged-near new Intellipap AutoAdjust (12 hours! Non-smoking!) at a pawn shop for less than $140. Great buy for me: backup or tv watching/prime nap time or if the wind blows and the power goes out. (has a kind of cool data reproting feature, but not as comprehensive as the S9 without buying a separate appendage piece.

The Escape would make a great machine for travel purposes.

Keep your eyes open.

OMyMyOHellYes

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2013, 09:57 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The Escape would make a great machine for travel purposes.
I beg to differ, The Escape is a museum piece and should not be manufactured or prescribed or sold

In this age when people rushing out or even queue overnight outside dept stores to buy the latest stuff, CPAP users deserve the best too, just like the ad said, you deserve it Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2013, 02:35 AM)zonk Wrote:
(06-04-2013, 09:57 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: The Escape would make a great machine for travel purposes.
I beg to differ, The Escape is a museum piece and should not be manufactured or prescribed or sold

The fact is that he already owns it. Get some use out of it. It will accomplish its primary task well (providing relief from obstructive apneas). So it doest give the same detail as a "smart" machine.

You don't have to have tons of precise information, real-time, every day, to obsess over, to get good PAP therapy. It is nice to have. I like my S9 Autoset and tend to look at results every week or two. Maybe if I've had a really bad night. Or for a while after a change in equipment (new design mask). In several years with an S8 Elite I NEVER had any information downloaded. Ever. It gave great relief for my OSA and I thought it a wonderful machine. I'm still impressed with the service it gave (S9 is much better though).

But people's animosity toward "dumb" machines I simply can't understand. Would it be just a cheap to make them all the same? Probably not. Is there $100 difference in product cost? Probably not. Are we railing against manufacturers? If so, while we're at it, why not jump them for making CPAPs? APAPs will do the same thing and offer much more flexibility. Is it just as cheap to make an APAP? Probably not. Is there a $100 difference in cost? Probably not.

So, I think a lot of folks read the negative (and often unjustly condescending) remarks towards their machine and it negatively impacts attitudes towards therapy which may negatively impact compliance and usefulness.

They may not be $400 blue jeans from Neiman Marcus, but the $25 Wranglers from Target cover my butt just as well.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate everyone's input and insight. The more viewpoints received the better, I think.

With that said, I believe I will concentrate on using the escape to my best advantage for now. I've changed my mask from a nasal to nasal pillows and, based on last night, I think this will make a HUGE difference in my experience with CPAP (something about the nasal mask kicks off my claustrophobia).

Anyway, I consider myself at least a little wiser about the cpap products and DME procedures and that will be useful to me moving forward.

Thanks to all. This forum, and the posters, have been extremely beneficial in helping me to be alittle more at ease with this treatment. Very glad y'all are here! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Dobie glad you found us.

Great that the nasal pillows worked better for you - the mask is for a fact the hardest part of adjusting. Don't be shy about asking for another if you find later these are not working out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 20 371 12 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,473 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,036 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.