Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user night reports - Please advise
Question 
New CPAP user night reports - Please advise
Hello,

Night 2 on my Airsense Autoset. Got very little sleep. Spent most of the night in the half-conscious state but still feel great today! :-)
I've attached the report. I also a report from the first night (Aug 15th) for completion of data. That night was left at auto-ramp, 4-20 and EPR of 3. 

I turned off auto-ramp, adjusted the minimum pressure to 7, left EPR at 3 and initially let the max at 20. For whatever reason the unit started ramping up pressure really early in the night and high (~14). It was quite weird/uncomfortable. I've then limited the Max to 10 following advice in my other thread. 

I overall don't mind the feeling of the machine (if it's not at 14 pressure) and have very positive attitude towards the entire endeavor. However, if you have any tips for a novice on how to fall asleep with the mask or get used to it faster, I'd appreciate it. 

Another novice question. How do I sneeze or cough in it? Should I try to take it off my face as soon as I feel the sneeze coming, or is it ok to blow into the mask?  :-)

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user night reports - Please advise
Night 3

Still very little sleep. Almost note I'd say. 

I kind of half doze off to that state of half-consciousness and stay there. I did, however, realize that sometimes I've that feeling I just didn't take a breath. One of those situations was at 2:08am, which corresponded with CA. I then get more awake, focus on breathing and again, just stay there until I half doze off.

Would you recommend any change or keep going?

Post Reply Post Reply
As you numbers are less than 2 and the remaining events are there is not too much to worry about if the CA’s still concern you try reducing the EPR to 2 and see if that reduces the CA’s any
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2020, 08:17 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: As you numbers are less than 2 and the remaining events are there is not too much to worry about if the CA’s still concern you try reducing the EPR to 2 and see if that reduces the CA’s any

Thank you for the feedback. 

I might be wrong, but isn't AHI calculated based on number of hours slept? Or actually measured in this case?

So if I slept a total of maybe 2 hours and not 9 used for AHI calculation, wouldn't the actual index be much higher if looked only at time slept?

I think that's exactly where the sleep docs also made a mistake in the past. They looked at my AHI and they said it's great, but I only slept for less than 30 mins during an 9.5hrs sleep test. 

I just can't fall asleep...
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP won’t help you fall asleep so you then need to look elsewhere all CPAP treats is disordered breathing and that is adequately treated. But if your awake then the numbers don’t count.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your cpap calculates AHI based on the total time of use, so it really over-estimated if you only slept 2 hours. CA events commonly occur when awake, so nothing to worry about. I suspect this will improve as your acclimate to therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

I felt pretty hopeful last night that I'd fall asleep and wanted to redo another "sleep test", leaving the machine to it own mostly and very similar to my first night: 4-10 and ramp On with hopes I'd actually fall asleep and give me some data to work with. It worked.

The SpO2 is extremely similar to my usual night prior to CPAP with 1 alarm from dropping below 88%. To my surprise though, the SpO2 drops that happened mostly between 0:30am 1:30am correspond to no events reported by the machine. Would you know what was going on there?

Also a bunch of CA almost in the morning that resulted with AHI chart reaching over 9.0. How to interpret this chart? Is it showing where the events were the most significant and help focus on where to dig deeper into data?

Thank you.

.pdf   CPAP_4_10_20200817220536_OXIRecord.pdf (Size: 319.01 KB / Downloads: 2)
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI chart, ignore it, we do. It is not uncommon to see a number of events as you are waking, we call it SWJ or Sleep Wake Junk.
I don't see anything that correlates with that or the events at 05:30.
Post a copy of the Advanced charts so we can see what is happening with other breathing measures
Click "View / Reset Graphics / Advanced"

Also a 3-minute zoomed view of the times where your O2 dropped. This is to see what, if anything was happening during those episodes.
Please check the times on both your CPAP and Oximeter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Advanced 3 min charts posts 1/3

There's a weird event at 1:27am posted in charts 3/3 where it looks like I'd a large mask leak right after two consecutive drops of O2 down to 90%.

Charts 2/3

Charts 3/3

Thank you so much for looking at those.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your breathing went shallow, thus your O2 stats dropped.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 1 30 25 minutes ago
Last Post: Ostrich
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 503 8 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 181 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,504 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,046 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,144 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,021 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.