Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user update
New CPAP user update
Well, it's been almost three months now since I started using a CPAP. Wasn't happy at all being diagnosed with sleep apnea. Neither was the A-Fib diagnosis. I had a cardioversion procedure performed in late June and all went well. I had an EKG just about a week ago, and all is still normal. 

My transition to using a CPAP was as smooth and easy as possible. My first night went as well as last night did. My "numbers" AHI range from a high of 4.4 (one time, 1st night only) to a low of 0.5 (numerous times). 

My mask AirFit F20 has been great. No issues of any kind. I'm a side sleeper only and I was a bit worried. My pressure is 6-12. That seems to be working well for me. For the past week or so, I've been using a hose hanger that I fabricated. BIG improvement over not using one. Makes managing the hose way more easier. 

I've become very comfortable with my machine and it's capabilities and functions. Cleaning the equipment that needs cleaning has become routine and very easy. No need for a So-Clean for me.  

But.....I'm a little disappointed that I'm not feeling all that much better........yet. If there is an improvement, it's a very subtle one. I was kind of hoping that by the 90 day (night) mark, it would be more profound and obvious. 

Maybe I'm just a late bloomer, and a few more weeks will be more telling. Overall though, the whole experience has been much better that what I had anticipated. The thought of sleeping with a full face mask on was daunting. Who does that anyways?  Rolleyes

I consider myself very lucky to be making this transition so easily. For that, I'm grateful! I'm well aware of the struggles some others deal with. 

I know that I'm doing the right thing for my health. I was told, that it's a gradual process and can be slow. My wife still can't believe that I didn't quit after a few nights use. She was sure that I would. After 37 yrs. of marriage, I still like to prove her wrong from time to time, even though she thinks she knows me as well as I do.  Wink

I've got to believe that my CPAP will make me feel better as times goes by.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user update
Have patience. After 2 years, my sleep quality is still improving. Sounds like you have the important stuff mastered so now it’s time to relax.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user update
Big Guy. I can feel what you are going through. I have been on Cpap for 18 months (about 7 months after Sleepyhead) The first 11 months I was flying by the seat of my pants since my son gave me the machine. I had two sleep studies done. One in Ohio in November 2016 and due to a DME error they never processed it until I retired and relocated in April of 2017. My new state would not honor the sleep study and I had to take another sleep test in January 2018. I guess I knew I had sleep apnea for 30 years as my wife complained about it for all those years. I had diabetes, heart attack, bypass surgery, high blood pressure, Afib, prostate cancer etc., etc.

My struggle with adapting to Cpap was not swift, but with the fine people on this forum and their encouragement and help my numbers are usually under <2 and average around 0.60 to 1.00. Do I feel great? Unfortunately no. Being realistic any man who has the diseases I had quite frankly is lucky to be alive.

You say you have been married 37 years. Congratulations, as this is quite a feat in this day and age. I will celebrate my 53rd anniversary on January 22, 2019. I  say all that to remind many of us who are aging that part of what we feel today is from aging. I can't imagine a man like myself feeling like superman after all I went through. Before I retired and was on Cpap I drove through Ohio, Michigan & Pennsylvania in my sales territory. I fought daily to stay awake and thank God I didn't kill anyone. I can honestly say I do not get weary driving anymore and thank Cpap for that. I am living and get to see not only my grandkids now, but my 5 great-grandkids. I thank Cpap for that. My wife and I are still alive to celebrate our 53rd anniversary together. I thank Cpap for that.

I don't know all you have went through, but having a cardioversion you also suffered from cardiovascular problems and Afib. I hope you feel better in time, but be patient and be thankful for the changes Cpap allows. Thank you for your service Big Guy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 146 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,290 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,690 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,225 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,097 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,681 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 420 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.