Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAPer - Thoughts on OSCAR Report
Question 
New CPAPer - Thoughts on OSCAR Report
Hello!

I was recently diagnosed with mild OSA and have finally gotten my machine up and running and data into OSCAR. I have been struggling to get to a setup that allows me to sleep through the night. Last night was my first relatively good night of sleep with the machine running. I still did not feel like I was able to sleep that well, maybe that's just needing to get used to wearing the mask. 

Anyway, now that I'm at least able to get through the night with the mask on, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about my settings based on what's in the OSCAR report.

Also - A huge thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum and the developers of OSCAR. Both have been an invaluable resource to me over the last few weeks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAPer - Thoughts on OSCAR Report
A couple of thoughts. A full face mask is used if you are a mouth breather - I am so I have one BUT if you can sleep and breath through your nose you would be more comfortable with a nasal pillow or nasal cradle mask. The less you have on your face the easier it is to wear. 

Your main events are CA. That is short for central apnea. A central is when there is NO obstruction and you just stop breathing. It isn’t as
 Scary as it sounds, any time you hold your breath would be a central. When you are asleep your body needs to breath not only to get oxygen but to get rid of CO2. If the Cpap is working well you are getting more oxygen and expelling more CO2. So your body pauses breathing. But that makes restful sleep hard to achieve. 

As your body gets use to Cpap therapy you will have less central but it takes a while. So in the mean time we try to reduce CA events by narrowing the difference between the inhale (max pressure) and exhale (min pressure)

To do that I would do 2 things. First turn off EPR. Second set the min to 8. That should help the centrals.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAPer - Thoughts on OSCAR Report
Thanks very much for the feedback! My doctor originally prescribed max EPR, so I had been playing around with that setting. Interestingly, I turned EPR up last night and the numbers (and my sleep) were noticeably worse.

What you're saying about the pressure differential makes total sense to me. I'll give that a try and report back. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 176 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,750 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,508 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,568 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 833 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.