Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: New Coffee We Tried
Most restaurants coffee is terrible and I have to put cream and sugar in it. And those cheaper brands have given me indigestion too.

Haven't had any issues with the organic coffee. That makes me wonder if it is the pesticides that are contributing to the indigestion/gerd.

I haven't heard of that brand before so maybe it isn't in the area where we live OR it isn't organic and I wouldn't know about it.

I can't believe how much better I feel with the organic foods....I won't ever say they are perfect or force my opinion about organic on anyone but I like knowing as much as I can know that I am not eating genetically modified organisms that I think will alter our DNA over time.

All I can say is that we are wiling to buy organic to do what we can to protect our health. I do believe the more that jump on this bandwagon, the prices will be driven down to a reasonable price. It is expensive to have to pay for the verification and the Organic verification labeling on the food. That is why a lot of people don't do it and label their products 100% natural but I hesitate to buy food labeled this way.

Anyway, glad you have good coffee and glad we do too! Great way to start the day!
08-04-2015 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

There's a catch 22 with organic stuff. The price isn't going to go down all that much because there is as much of a 30-40% loss of crops when you don't use pesticides of any kind. Secondly, they use animal poop for fertilizer which increases the risk of e.coli.

My sister supplies us with most of our produce 9 months of the year. She has a HUGE garden and this is the first year that she's had to use a pesticide or she would have lost her entire tomato crop. Her neighbor has an organic apple orchard (no, not certified). Honestly never tasted the difference between fresh (as in from the farm) produce and my sister's stuff.

The certification process for growing organic food is very expensive because if your neighbor farms use pesticides, you have to have a barrier crop to reduce or eliminate residue from their spraying. If your farm isn't big enough, then you are stuck. This alone limits the number of farms that can actually grow organic.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 10:45 AM by Mosquitobait.)
08-05-2015 10:45 AM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

When we were over in Hawaii, we visited Thunder Mountain Coffee. This is not just organic, but they actually maintain and harvest the coffee using animals to carry the cherry back to the plant where it is shelled and roasted. It's some of the mildest and most expensive coffee in the world.

I frequently buy from Costco, and can get organic coffee for $10 to $15 for a 2 lb bag. Mayorga is great stuff and I get a lot of compliments.

08-05-2015 11:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(08-05-2015 11:18 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  When we were over in Hawaii, we visited Thunder Mountain Coffee. This is not just organic, but they actually maintain and harvest the coffee using animals to carry the cherry back to the plant where it is shelled and roasted. It's some of the mildest and most expensive coffee in the world.

I frequently buy from Costco, and can get organic coffee for $10 to $15 for a 2 lb bag. Mayorga is great stuff and I get a lot of compliments.

For those people who don't have a Costco store nearby, Mayorga has a great website with all of their offerings for sale there. Prices are fair considering it is organic coffee. I love a good cup of coffee, especially of a morning.
08-05-2015 12:19 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

It is a common misconception that organic food could be at greater risk of E. coli contamination because of raw manure application although conventional farmers commonly apply tons of raw manure as well with no regulation whatsoever. Organic standards set strict guidelines on manure use in organic farming: either it must be first composted, or it must be applied at least 90 days before harvest, which allows ample time for microbial breakdown of pathogens.
08-05-2015 01:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Buy a dozen of organic eggs and a dozen of regular eggs. get 2 containers and break an organic egg in one container and break a regular (non organic) egg in the other container.

Notice the difference in the shells. That is one of the first things we noticed.

Organic isn't about a taste difference as much as it is that no pesticides are used and they are not GMO's and that makes it a healthier product.

YMMV and everyone may have a different opinion than I do and I respect that. I have just decided that I would rather spend the extra money on organic foods than on medical treatment. And the thought of eating GMO foods just does not appeal to me!
08-05-2015 04:18 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

(08-05-2015 11:18 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:  When we were over in Hawaii, we visited Thunder Mountain Coffee. This is not just organic, but they actually maintain and harvest the coffee using animals to carry the cherry back to the plant where it is shelled and roasted. It's some of the mildest and most expensive coffee in the world.

Ordered some of the Mayorga organic coffee, Buenos Dias I think it is called, it arrived this morning. Surprisingly it has mild flavor and doesn't need cream unless you prefer it that way. Also ordered some as a gift for someone. Smile
08-08-2015 10:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.s...n_gro.html
08-24-2015 03:17 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

(08-02-2015 10:33 AM)AlanE Wrote:  Love coffee, my gerd does not. Coffee with a side of ranitidine. We get what is on sale. it's usually awful too.

Try a nice Organic Sumatra... you might be surprised and amazed Smile

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
08-24-2015 03:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

(08-05-2015 04:18 PM)me50 Wrote:  Buy a dozen of organic eggs and a dozen of regular eggs. get 2 containers and break an organic egg in one container and break a regular (non organic) egg in the other container.

Notice the difference in the shells. That is one of the first things we noticed.

Organic isn't about a taste difference as much as it is that no pesticides are used and they are not GMO's and that makes it a healthier product.

YMMV and everyone may have a different opinion than I do and I respect that. I have just decided that I would rather spend the extra money on organic foods than on medical treatment. And the thought of eating GMO foods just does not appeal to me!

Organic, and when possible --- Local! Keep your local farmers in business, know what's in your food!

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

08-24-2015 03:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 227 09-30-2016 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 2,469 06-19-2016 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,288 01-22-2016 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 938 12-13-2015 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  Where is the best coffee in the world? zonk 62 3,889 10-05-2015 02:15 PM
Last Post: zonk
  [Health] Coffee / Caffeine aussiefilo 13 1,594 07-21-2015 02:22 PM
Last Post: PositiveMe123
  so hard to get a good coffee Paptillian 38 5,698 05-24-2015 08:40 PM
Last Post: 2PAPs