Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Coffee We Tried
Most restaurants coffee is terrible and I have to put cream and sugar in it. And those cheaper brands have given me indigestion too.

Haven't had any issues with the organic coffee. That makes me wonder if it is the pesticides that are contributing to the indigestion/gerd.

I haven't heard of that brand before so maybe it isn't in the area where we live OR it isn't organic and I wouldn't know about it.

I can't believe how much better I feel with the organic foods....I won't ever say they are perfect or force my opinion about organic on anyone but I like knowing as much as I can know that I am not eating genetically modified organisms that I think will alter our DNA over time.

All I can say is that we are wiling to buy organic to do what we can to protect our health. I do believe the more that jump on this bandwagon, the prices will be driven down to a reasonable price. It is expensive to have to pay for the verification and the Organic verification labeling on the food. That is why a lot of people don't do it and label their products 100% natural but I hesitate to buy food labeled this way.

Anyway, glad you have good coffee and glad we do too! Great way to start the day!
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a catch 22 with organic stuff. The price isn't going to go down all that much because there is as much of a 30-40% loss of crops when you don't use pesticides of any kind. Secondly, they use animal poop for fertilizer which increases the risk of e.coli.

My sister supplies us with most of our produce 9 months of the year. She has a HUGE garden and this is the first year that she's had to use a pesticide or she would have lost her entire tomato crop. Her neighbor has an organic apple orchard (no, not certified). Honestly never tasted the difference between fresh (as in from the farm) produce and my sister's stuff.

The certification process for growing organic food is very expensive because if your neighbor farms use pesticides, you have to have a barrier crop to reduce or eliminate residue from their spraying. If your farm isn't big enough, then you are stuck. This alone limits the number of farms that can actually grow organic.
Post Reply Post Reply
When we were over in Hawaii, we visited Thunder Mountain Coffee. This is not just organic, but they actually maintain and harvest the coffee using animals to carry the cherry back to the plant where it is shelled and roasted. It's some of the mildest and most expensive coffee in the world.

I frequently buy from Costco, and can get organic coffee for $10 to $15 for a 2 lb bag. Mayorga is great stuff and I get a lot of compliments.
Post Reply Post Reply

(08-05-2015, 11:18 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: When we were over in Hawaii, we visited Thunder Mountain Coffee. This is not just organic, but they actually maintain and harvest the coffee using animals to carry the cherry back to the plant where it is shelled and roasted. It's some of the mildest and most expensive coffee in the world.

I frequently buy from Costco, and can get organic coffee for $10 to $15 for a 2 lb bag. Mayorga is great stuff and I get a lot of compliments.

For those people who don't have a Costco store nearby, Mayorga has a great website with all of their offerings for sale there. Prices are fair considering it is organic coffee. I love a good cup of coffee, especially of a morning.

Post Reply Post Reply
It is a common misconception that organic food could be at greater risk of E. coli contamination because of raw manure application although conventional farmers commonly apply tons of raw manure as well with no regulation whatsoever. Organic standards set strict guidelines on manure use in organic farming: either it must be first composted, or it must be applied at least 90 days before harvest, which allows ample time for microbial breakdown of pathogens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Buy a dozen of organic eggs and a dozen of regular eggs. get 2 containers and break an organic egg in one container and break a regular (non organic) egg in the other container.

Notice the difference in the shells. That is one of the first things we noticed.

Organic isn't about a taste difference as much as it is that no pesticides are used and they are not GMO's and that makes it a healthier product.

YMMV and everyone may have a different opinion than I do and I respect that. I have just decided that I would rather spend the extra money on organic foods than on medical treatment. And the thought of eating GMO foods just does not appeal to me!
Post Reply Post Reply

(08-05-2015, 11:18 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: When we were over in Hawaii, we visited Thunder Mountain Coffee. This is not just organic, but they actually maintain and harvest the coffee using animals to carry the cherry back to the plant where it is shelled and roasted. It's some of the mildest and most expensive coffee in the world.

Ordered some of the Mayorga organic coffee, Buenos Dias I think it is called, it arrived this morning. Surprisingly it has mild flavor and doesn't need cream unless you prefer it that way. Also ordered some as a gift for someone. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.s...n_gro.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2015, 10:33 AM)AlanE Wrote: Love coffee, my gerd does not. Coffee with a side of ranitidine. We get what is on sale. it's usually awful too.

Try a nice Organic Sumatra... you might be surprised and amazed Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

(08-05-2015, 04:18 PM)me50 Wrote: Buy a dozen of organic eggs and a dozen of regular eggs. get 2 containers and break an organic egg in one container and break a regular (non organic) egg in the other container.

Notice the difference in the shells. That is one of the first things we noticed.

Organic isn't about a taste difference as much as it is that no pesticides are used and they are not GMO's and that makes it a healthier product.

YMMV and everyone may have a different opinion than I do and I respect that. I have just decided that I would rather spend the extra money on organic foods than on medical treatment. And the thought of eating GMO foods just does not appeal to me!

Organic, and when possible --- Local! Keep your local farmers in business, know what's in your food!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 496 09-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 3,158 06-19-2016, 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,649 01-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat DeepBreathing 13 1,163 12-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyH
  Where is the best coffee in the world? zonk 62 4,579 10-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Last Post: zonk
  [Health] Coffee / Caffeine aussiefilo 13 1,883 07-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Last Post: PositiveMe123
  so hard to get a good coffee Paptillian 38 6,261 05-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Last Post: 2PAPs