Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Cpap User Query
New Cpap User Query
Having a few teething issues,.. sore nose bridge (ordered Gecko Nose pad), ..some redness on face from the full face mask.

Takes some getting used to.

I have used it for 4 nights.

I have an Airsense 10 Auto machine.

I notice that i wake up in the middle of the night with what seems to be a crazy amount of air gushing at my face.

Is this normal? Has it gone into some high pressure mode that is waking me up?

At really high pressue, the mask leaks.

The first few days i think i had my mask two tight which was causing the nose soreness and marks on my face. I have loosened the straps..but i think soon as it goes into high pressure mode it doesn't keep a good seal.

Waking up in a wind tunnel is kind of what seems to be waking me up.

Feedback? Suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Cpap User Query
Hi Greyvaris!
Welcome to the forum.

Tight upper straps could be the cause of the leaks. The lower straps should be the ones you try to tighten. Try loosening the upper straps. Most masks are designed to form a seal with the aid of air pressure. Trying to tighten down the mask can defeat this design.

SuperSleeper re-posted a great thread on this subject. Here is the link:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 02:03 PM)Greyvaris Wrote: . . .
I have an Airsense 10 Auto machine.

I notice that i wake up in the middle of the night with what seems to be a crazy amount of air gushing at my face.

Is this normal? Has it gone into some high pressure mode that is waking me up?

At really high pressue, the mask leaks.
. . .
Waking up in a wind tunnel is kind of what seems to be waking me up.

Hi Greyvaris,
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to get answers.

A few suggestions:

1) AFAIK, your machine should be a fully data-capable machine, meaning that it records detailed information to an SD memory card that you can read with appropriate software, and see graphs showing details of what is occurring while you sleep. First, discover the actual model of your machine, and edit your profile with this information, as this is where people will look first, to help answer your questions. Here is a link to help identify your machine:

http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...ine-resmed

2) Your CPAP prescription should have specified a pressure range in order for you to be provided an Auto type machine. What is your prescribed pressure range? Again, it is useful to put this in your profile. Secondarily, if you don't have a copy of your CPAP prescription, get one. It is useful to have in both paper and digital forms. If you had a Sleep study, get a copy of that as well. These are your records and you are entitled to them.

3) Download the Sleepyhead software and start using it. Then you will be able to post relevant graphs for folks here to see and you will get MUCH better responses to your questions, and possibly useful suggestions. Sleepyhead operates in Windows, MAC and Linux, so it is likely you will be able to use it. You may need to acquire an SD card reader; USB-type readers are readily available and cheap.

Links to this software are at the top of every forum page.

4) I'm quessing that your wakeups are more likely to be caused by apnea events, which are causing the machine to escalate pressure (as it is designed to do). Then as you become conscious, the first thing you notice is the leakage. As a FFM user myself, I have found that mask liners are helpful with leaks. Even if there is a small leak, the liner usually helps diffuse the airflow enough to keep it from rousing you. I am using the RemZzz mask liners. These are a bit expensive if you do the use-once-then-toss method, but I have found no problem in washing and re-using them multiple times, so the cost is negligible.

Good luck on your CPAP journey!

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2016, 02:03 PM)Greyvaris Wrote: . . . I notice that i wake up in the middle of the night with what seems to be a crazy amount of air gushing at my face. . .

Wow. I just finished night 4 with an Airsense 10 Autoset with pressure range set for 5 to 15, and had exactly the same air rushing experience you describe. It happened each of my first two nights on one or more occasions each night. It was very annoying, didn't seem to reduce flow when I tried to breath normally into the mask and it forced me awake enough I had a hard time getting back to sleep.

On night three I decided to reach over and turn the machine off and back on again to stop the rush of air and let me go back to sleep.

Then, after night three, and reading a bit on this forum, I decided to try turning down my max air flow from 15 to 14 to see if that little bit of reduction in peak flow would keep from waking me up. Last night, it worked like a charm. Maybe I'll get used to all this and be able to turn back up my max flow to 15 at some point, but, at this point my sleep is more important than stopping that one apnea event that that high pressure might have helped with.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Greyvaris,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but just stick with it, it does get better.
Much success to you on your CPAP journey and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are getting a rush of air blowing thru your mask you have a major leak.
No leak no rush of air..
FFM try a Simplus. No sore noses if you need to tightn up some.
Seals well at high pressures. Very comfortable and easy to take apart clean etc.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 6 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,504 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,045 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,020 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,597 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.